DIR to go Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why come into the forum to start a fight? I'm not referring to whether GUE will ever adopt sidemount. I'm referring to the ridiculous attitude.

ridiculous attitude???? Because I put my opinion down about my views and experiences about/with this approach I have a ridiculous attitude?? :shakehead:

Is there a smilie for putting my face in my hands?

:facepalm:

I went back 4 pages and did not see this questioned asked so here goes.

Is DIR/GUE ever going to try to stake a claim in Sidemount??? I have read the requirements of gear for your BM diving and I can't honestly say I agree with it but who cares right...

With ALL the different configurations in SM I think I would find it amusing to say the least to see what a DIR approved SM configuration would look like.

I am sorry if I am not gung-ho DIR but I have heard and read too many stories about divers being made fun of and called wanabes because of something as simple as they didn't have a Halcyon harness, added an extra D-ring, used the wrong kind of light, and I can go on and on and on and on but I wont. I just dont think it is right to pick on another diver because he chooses a different configuration but has some things DIR's use.

I asked that of Bob Sherwood, my Fundies instructor. He said that at this time, GUE had no plans for incorporating sidemount into their methodology (if that is the right word?). If enough interest was generated, they would have to have someone design the training and the program, incorporate it into their current training, and at this time (Feb '11) neither the interest nor the persons to design the training were present. However, he did say that could change in the future.

Well to be fair it is my very first and most likely my last post in this forum.

I hate to break it to you, but I've seen several posts from you here in the DIR Forum in other threads. Perhaps you meant to say this was your first thread?

I went back 4 pages and did not see this questioned asked so here goes.

Is DIR/GUE ever going to try to stake a claim in Sidemount??? I have read the requirements of gear for your BM diving and I can't honestly say I agree with it but who cares right...

With ALL the different configurations in SM I think I would find it amusing to say the least to see what a DIR approved SM configuration would look like.

I am sorry if I am not gung-ho DIR but I have heard and read too many stories about divers being made fun of and called wanabes because of something as simple as they didn't have a Halcyon harness, added an extra D-ring, used the wrong kind of light, and I can go on and on and on and on but I wont. I just dont think it is right to pick on another diver because he chooses a different configuration but has some things DIR's use.

With comments like these, what kind of responses were you expecting? It really does look like you were just trying to start a **** storm! Perhaps you should have just asked if there was a DIR sidemount configuration or any plans for one and left the rest out, but the majority of your post just screams trollish.

Not sure where you're finding all these rude and judgmental DIR divers ... I've been out diving with several of my DIR friends with my sidemount rig, and if they say anything at all it's to ask me how I like it.

But since we're into stereotypes on this thread ... the only people who ever gave me crap about how I dive are a few opinionated PADI instructors I know, and a handful of their sycophants who don't understand why everyone in the world doesn't dive the way they do. And, frankly, it's not because they're PADI so much as because they've been doing the same dives the same way for years and can't imagine doing anything different.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom