Dir, utd, wtf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You already convinced yourself that you can't do that, yet you ask? No offense but that is pure trolling. Doesn't seem like you expected to gain anything from our answers besides pointing a finger at bad DIR guys who will undoubtedly refuse to dive with you because you a) have no DIR training, b) are a smoker

I hate to disappoint you, but DIR guys I know will dive with people without DIR training as long as they feel it can be safely executed. But you are also partially right - most divers I know will be hardly enjoying a day on a boat with someone who blows smoke in their faces and eventually proceeds to throw cig butt overboard. That dislike has nothing to do with agency they trained with or how much they conform to DIR.
Can you answer the question about what UTD suggests for 2 hour cave dives at 70ft deep? I felt I got a poor response in the classroom forum, any chance it could be cleared up?

Can you answer the question about what UTD suggests for 2 hour cave dives at 70ft deep? I felt I got a poor response in the classroom forum, any chance it could be cleared up?

Did you not believe my RD answer?? :idk:

Figure out the time over MDL
Shape exponential
Adjust shallow time for O2 credit
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5321671-post44.html

The last point which I didn't bring up is to adjust deco based on past experience and/or comparisons with software models if you're unsure.

Did you not believe my RD answer?? :idk:

Figure out the time over MDL
Shape exponential
Adjust shallow time for O2 credit
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5321671-post44.html

The last point which I didn't bring up is to adjust deco based on past experience and/or comparisons with software models if you're unsure.
Your schedule is really close to what I came up with after reading/watching the course materials. Just wondering really what UTD would do (officially) in a c2/c3 class.

Think about a DPV2 course taught at JB. <sarcasm>With ratio deco, you'd need a deco rebreather just for rock bottom! </sarcasm>

Not trying to troll, just see what instructors suggest too. I know this forum gets trolled frequently, but I think if you'll look at my posting history, it's not one of bashing DIR agencies by any means :wink:

If you are talking Jackson blue 2 hour cave dive. Do what many people do. Conduct your dive. Throw 20 minutes O2 at it and exit the cave. See how you feel.

If its a repetative dive, or you are feeling cold. Throw 25 minutes O2 at it. If you are feeling nervious throw 30 (yawn)

There comes a point where you have to exit the class room and build experience. Its all fine and good to have a class give you RD for a 300' dive deco profile. In the end though it tells you nothing how on how your body responds.

Maybe you are have superior gas offloading capibility and you can shorten your deco by 10%, 20%, 30% or maybe you have a tricky elbow and need to extend deco. In the end the "correct deco" is the one you walk away from. One can only learn that through experience.

Kevin

Your schedule is really close to what I came up with after reading/watching the course materials. Just wondering really what UTD would do (officially) in a c2/c3 class.

Well you wouldn't have this much deco in a C2 class, its not really a realistic class dive on 1 bottom stage.

C3 is much more plausible but by then you'd have trimix (a prerequisite with UTD at this level) and much more deco experience to draw upon - the key point being that you wouldn't just be winging time into decoplanner or VPM and giving 70mins over MDL a whirl. Ditto with GUE's Cave3 course although some of the details might be off a bit since I think that's only been taught once and it was a few years ago.

I am fairly sure the instructors in the C3 level courses are better than average offgassers so whatever plan the students come up with is likely to be conservative to them. Bottom line, C3 courses aren't going to be handholding students on any plans period. They should already have the 90+mins at average 70ft (or deeper) experience to draw upon. If they don't they are in over their heads for this kinda course.

yea I don't understand it. a better way to learn long range exploration diving is to join a project and learn by doing.

yea I don't understand it. a better way to learn long range exploration diving is to join a project and learn by doing.

Or come up with your own and apply + adapt what you know. I certainly don't have C3 or T3 for that matter. I have new cave, new wreck, and never dove flooded mine projects all in various states of progress. If JJ or AG were to show up tomorrow I'd be the one teaching/showing them what I know so far. Sure they'd probably have some good ideas on how we could do something differently, and they'd probably point out some things which we already discovered through experience weren't ideal. Same thing should happen with any other highly qualified buddy we bring on board. I'm always looking to leverage off someone else's experience (which is essentially what a class is) but not at the expense of my own.

You could view the cost of the course as a contribution to the cause...

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom