DIR, WKPP, GUE, and Halcyon Part 1 of 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

1. I don't use a bp/wings.

O.K...let's forgeat about physical/emotional whatevers and get down to diving this stuff...

Have you spoken directly to a GUE instructor either on the board, or off line about the possibility of taking a class without using a BP/W...or have you gone to a Demo and used a BP/W fitted by someone who could make sure it was correct?

diverbrian once bubbled...
It just seems to me that any course that involves equipment changes, a relatively different philosphy of diving, and other major improvements in one's diving should take more than a weekend...
I understand that GUE doesn't have enough instructors to do it any other way. But, I prefer to learn over time and make what I am learning part of my own style, rather than get it crammed into me so fast that my chances of "failure" go way up.

There's a "provisional" pass, or the possibility that one many not pass at all is made known to the student. It simply isn't practical for GUE to run these courses for an extended period of time. As it is, a lot of people have trouble committing to an entire weekend. The idea isn't necessarily to breeze through the class, check it off your list, and get your card. The course is meant to impart the Fundamental skills and knowledge that you will undoubtedly need to absorb and practice over time. Therein lies the challenge, and that's what makes it so worthwhile. If you accept the course in that context, you will work at becoming a better diver over time.

pufferfish once bubbled...

How about we leave the smoking and overweight issue out of this discussion as it is very contentious and tends to bring out the radical fringe and the worst in people. If you want some evidence just have a look at this thread. It is long and heated but covers some of these topics which can get real hot, real fast and are maybe best left at bay for now. :(

DIR-F, alternative courses, obesity, and smoking

I'm not trying to start anything or cause any flames. In section 1.6 I believe. Not smoking is one of the requirements. I have picked up a lot of excellent info from friends that do lean more toward dir diving than I do and I have made a lot of changes in my style and equipment setups.

Have you spoken directly to a GUE instructor either on the board, or off line about the possibility of taking a class without using a BP/W...or have you gone to a Demo and used a BP/W fitted by someone who could make sure it was correct?

Yes Big-t, I did discuss taking the dir-f with someone and we came to a mutual agreement that it would not be the best class for me.

Yes, I demoed one brand for about 10 dives with the dealer, and the other for 6 dives, and these weren't quarry dives. If the dealer can't help get it adjusted right then he shouldn't be a dealer. Could I use it? Yes, and could have continued diving with it and been fine. Did I like it? No. I just could not get a feel for what I liked with either brand. I am NOT saying that they are not excellent compensators for people that like them. If one type of bc was the choice of everyone there wouldn't be but one scuba company in business would there.

And again,, I am NOT trying to troll, flame or start anything so if you take it that way I apologize in advance.

Having just learned who ghof is, I must say that I'm sorry for having been so skeptical about his comments on his DIRF.

I also regret that he had such an experience.

I bet these instructors would be disappointed in themselves if they let any student down...in any way. I believe that their top priority is for ALL of their students to have a rewarding and enjoyable class.

We need at least one more Mike in this discussion...wink, wink...nudge, nudge! Now would be a great time for a long awaited come back.

SA

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

Yes Big-t, I did discuss taking the dir-f with someone and we came to a mutual agreement that it would not be the best class for me.

Well, good, I'm glad you were able to speak with someone....possibly in the future, you might reconsider your goals and find that it is a class that would be beneficial.

If all the GUE instructors are like the ones I know, it would seem to me that they wouldn;t let the equipment get in the way of teaching....though different styles of equipment are better suited for certain things.....

I refer to one of MHK's favorite lines "You can give me the best and most recent carpentry tools in the world, and I can't build a box....but give an experienced carpenter primitive tools, and with time they can build a house"......it's all about the skills my man...all about the skills.

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
Having just learned who ghof is, I must say that I'm sorry for having been so skeptical about his comments on his DIRF.

And was that comment meant to allay our curiosity, cuz if so, you really suck at allaying. 8)

JohnF

No...sorry.

Its just that I must give creedance to what ghof has to say now that I know who he is. Who he is may mean little to you. If he wishes to tell you who he is then that is up to him.

I still stand by what I said. I just do so with respect for all parties involved...ghof included.

It has been over a year since that particular DIRF and the fellas here that originally posted about that class had nothing but good things to say about it. For some of them it was inspiring and caused much introspection into their own diving abilities. None posted anything other than praise for the instructors and the class.

Nevertheless, if ghof says that he was let down, then let down he was. I don't believe that he is trolling. I believe that he is sincere in his assertions.

I still feel like the instructors have their hands tied on this one. Really, all they can say is that they are sorry that ghof was disappointed and offer to make it up to him in some way.

I would also guess that in the year since that class, MHK and others have worked to improve the class and in doing so, honed their presentation so that it is even more rewarding for the student.

One more guess...in the year since that class I bet that not only has the instructors' view of the class changed but also their view of themselves.

SA

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Well, good, I'm glad you were able to speak with someone....possibly in the future, you might reconsider your goals and find that it is a class that would be beneficial.

If all the GUE instructors are like the ones I know, it would seem to me that they wouldn;t let the equipment get in the way of teaching....though different styles of equipment are better suited for certain things.....

I refer to one of MHK's favorite lines "You can give me the best and most recent carpentry tools in the world, and I can't build a box....but give an experienced carpenter primitive tools, and with time they can build a house"......it's all about the skills my man...all about the skills.

I know a lot of what is taught would be beneficial.. that is why I wanted to take the class. I have since found out that if my buddies keep taking, they keep paying and I can pick their brains for a lot of the info a lot cheaper.:pirate:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom