Direct flights to Coz airport in late July - early August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siljesyl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
European diver planning for a dive vacation in Cozumel again. I really want to avoid lugging my dive gear from Cancun airport to the ferry. Are there any flights going from either the Miami area or the New York area at that time of the year? American Airlines have hidden their flight schedule so well... either no flights in the summer or they really would like to avoid to have passengers..

upload_2019-2-23_10-56-43.png

Here is the list of all airlines and locations flying directly to Cozumel.
Note: US Airways from Charlotte is actually American from Charlotte non stop.

Plug Miami and Coz into Google flight matrix. Click on the date field to pull up the nice "entire month view". Click different departure days and it will show you fares. Click the checkbox for <no stops>, although those are limited and expensive.

Repeat for JFK/LaGuardia departure. My favorite travel tool!:

https://www.google.com/floghts

You should be able to find flights into Coz but you might want to consider the extra expense, stops, and/or plane transfers. Lugging your bags from CUN to the ferry is really not much hassle at all. In my experience, most of the "lugging" occurs inside the airport. Once you get outside they get loaded under the bus or in a van by the driver. At Playa, you get a bike cart guy to wheel them to/from the ferry for a few bucks.

There are free luggage carts at CUN baggage claim.
I put my bags on a cart and pushed it outside where the van driver took it from me and loaded it into the van.
The van driver unloaded my bags onto a tricycle in Playa.
The tricyclero took my bags all the way to the entrance of the dock and waited while I got my ticket.
I rolled my bags down the dock and a ferry attendant put them onboard.
I picked up my bags from the dock in Coz and rolled them off the dock to the curb where a friend picked me up or one could get a taxi.

TL/DR
Only actual bag dragging was the length of the docks.

The bag drag from Cancun is really not much trouble. I would think a traveler from Europe would rather do that than put up with I&C and TSA on connections in the US. Do be careful about using the term "direct" as that does not mean "non-stop."

Bad link. I think you meant Google Flights? I never could figure out how to get the variety of choices there that I do on the Matrix site.

Matrix is showing some great fares from Fort Lauderdale or any of the big three in the New York City area to Cozumel for arriving from mid July to mid August, $400 or less, but no non-stops from either. Connections required in DFW or Houston.

It looks like AA is dropping the MIA to CZM flight after April 1st. It was operated by Republic for AA and I believe some of the Republic aircraft asigned to AA's MIA hub are being redeployed to other hubs. The daily flight (& x2 on Saturday) out of DFW are still there until September. For this year's low season reduction it looks like the DFW to CZM is dropped on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from the first Tuesday in September thru till November 19 and the second Saturday flight is dropped for September.
The CLT to CZM on Saturday's are seasonal and this year it appears that they are dropped from May until the first Saturday of October.

The bag drag from Cancun is really not much trouble. I would think a traveler from Europe would rather do that than put up with I&C and TSA on connections in the US. Do be careful about using the term "direct" as that does not mean.
To each his/her own, but all other things being equal or close to equal I would much rather have a connection in Houston than fly into Cancun. From Austin all the way to Cozumel all I have to worry with is my carry-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom