DIRZone Ajustable Harness is it any Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bristol Pirate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HI I'm new to this site, just a quick question has anyone tried or have the DIRZone ajustable harness? if so is it any good? any pro's or cons??
Thanks

Could you provide a link to the product you are asking about?...that way those who click on your thread to increase their knowledge and awareness can better orient themselves to what is being discussed.

-Z

I don't have that harness...I dive a hogarthian harness (single continues loop of webbing), but some thoughts:

1. The DIRZone adjustable harness comes across as a bit expensive at just under 100 euros.
2. I wonder if the adjustable buckles will be comfortable where they are positioned below the armpit area.
3. I wonder if the quick release aspect of the bucks will be a nuisance when donning the rig....are they prone to inadvertently becoming undone.
4. I find I only really need to adjust my harness when switching from drysuit to 5mm wetsuit and back....this only happens twice a year.

I put emphasis on number 4 above. Once my harness is adjusted I have no reason to adjust it further and if the occasion arises where I need to make a micro adjustment it is not too difficult or time consuming to do, but that is rather rare.

For a backplate harness to be comfortable the straps actually need to be a bit on the looser side than many new to BP/Ws expect. The slack is needed for full articulation of the shoulders to be comfortable.

The pro of the DIRZone harness would be that since the adjusters are below the shoulder D-rings, any adjustment has no affect on their position.

It does not look to be a bad harness, there is not much to go wrong with 2-inch webbing and a bunch of metal bits. You just need to decide if the price is what you want to pay for a harness.

-Z

For just under $35 one can piece together a hogarthian style harness on Divegearexpress.com:

11ft x 2-inch wide webbing: $8.80
2 x D-ring with bend: $2.50
2x D-ring w/o bend: $2.00
6 x belt slides: $4.50
1 x Quick release buckle for wastebelt: $5.00
1 x 1.5-inch wide crotch strap with front and back D-rings: $10.00
4ft x 1/8-inch shock cord: $1.56

It is interesting that their Hogarthian harness kit is more than double that and comes with one less D-ring and bunch of knickknacks that you may or may not find useful.

-Z

Hi Zef
Thanks for the info I currently dive with a one piece webbing and yes you are totally right on all points, my only problem is I’ve recently acquired a shoulder injury (frozen shoulder,) which restricts movement, so am looking for alternatives, but you are right it is expensive, also looked at the IST dolphin tech harness which is a bit cheaper but it has the sin of having plastic buckles

Hi Zef
Thanks for the info I currently dive with a one piece webbing and yes you are totally right on all points, my only problem is I’ve recently acquired a shoulder injury (frozen shoulder,) which restricts movement, so am looking for alternatives, but you are right it is expensive, also looked at the IST dolphin tech harness which is a bit cheaper but it has the sin of having plastic buckles

What kind of diving are you doing? Is it critical that you have metal buckles? Lots of BCDs have plastic buckles and I don't see many/any discussions on SB about them breaking. I think the idea of a quality plastic buckle failing is so remote that for the average diver it should be a non-issue.

There is the bling/techno factor of the metal QR buckle....just need to decide for yourself if it is worth the cost.

-Z

My diving these days is very recreational (with the occasional shallow commercial dive,
Less than 10m), although I often dive solo, and therefor need to be able to get in and out of my kit with no assistance. To be honest I’ve never seen a plastic buckle actually fail whilst diving and only once or twice break on land, so yes may just buy a plastic buckle and modify my harness. So what diving to you do?

My diving these days is very recreational (with the occasional shallow commercial dive,
Less than 10m), although I often dive solo, and therefor need to be able to get in and out of my kit with no assistance. To be honest I’ve never seen a plastic buckle actually fail whilst diving and only once or twice break on land, so yes may just buy a plastic buckle and modify my harness. So what diving to you do?

Strictly recreational diving. I have been invited to do cave diving and wreck penetration training but the risk vs reward is just not worth it to me....and I am of the belief that the risk of getting bent does not rise linearly with increased time underwater beyond conservative recreational limits, after 24 years of diving I am not very interested in doing dives that incur decompression obligations. The only aspect of tech diving that really appeals to me is the technique development and certain gear configuration aspects.I spend a lot of time blowing bubbles in cold/dark quarries and lakes...it serves as an escape where I can be lost in the sound of my bubbles for 45min to an hour or so...by then I start getting bored and desire a change in scenery and/or have to pee...if I keep things to less than 1.5 hours I find I don't need the hassle of a pee-valve in my drysuit. The balance of my time is spent working with relatively new divers in the clubs I am a member of.

-Z

It is interesting that their Hogarthian harness kit comes with one less D-ring and bunch of knickknacks.

-Z

Mmmmmm.......knickknacks.....

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom