Discussion of dive incidents in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note I did not start this thread even though there is an indication I did. The first post to this was in response to another thread where the reluctance of operators in Cozumel to discuss accidents with tourists was referenced and why a lack of information was so prevalent in these cases.

no one said anything to anyone in a position to stop it.

Just who would that be? The Mexican anti-stupidity police? 'Cause if that's what you're thinking, I might have news for you.

As a result that one day one man's life was changed forever and his family put in real economic danger. A woman died and her family devastated.

I don't think anyone has ever disagreed with any of that.

Just as bad was the fact that valuable resources were tied up to aid two people doing something stupid and a real accident victim could have also died because those resources would not have been available for them.

I really do not think that is at all likely. See Dave Dillehay's response quoted below.

I do not recall if we ever heard factual information on the depth reached by the two who were paralyzed or died.

What I was told directly by the paralyzed divemaster is that it was "too deep, my friend". That's all the detail he would give me, and I have absolutely no reason to need more than that apart from personal curiosity. Nobody else actually does, either.

Being one of those that donated generously to the DM's recovery I don't think others went untreated because of the event.

You probably have more direct information than I do, but I'm convinced Cozumel has a good ability to manage a significant number of serious concurrent dive-related problems. Certainly more than the number involved in that incident.

If other operators posted every dumb thing they see this board would be aflame in minutes.

For any dive destination, I should think.

This is probably an inexperienced question but how does one become paralysed while diving?

Neurological decompression sickness (DCS). Back when joint symptoms of DCS would have been called "the bends", neurological symptoms would have been called "the staggers".

Gaby went after her to rescue her. She later died; I don't know what kind of shape he ended up in.

Paraplegic. He's in a chair and running a gift shop in the Plaza del Sol to support his family.

If anyone googles this incident they can find a wealth of information available regarding what happened. We were diving this past December and this topic came up. Turned out as the conversation continued we learned we were diving one of the "other" divers/friends that was on that boat that day. Obviously it was difficult topic to discuss but what he had to say about being a party to it is pretty much the story you'll find if you care to investigate. From a safety standpoint, given the # of dives per day in Cozumel and given the number of deaths/accidents, one's odds of having a serious dive-related accident or dieing are less than one's odds of being struck by lightening. Those are good odds so stay wet and stay below if a thunderstorm is passing overhead!

Yet no one said anything to anyone in a position to stop it.
Just who would this be? I mean, really? The only person "in a position to stop it" died during the dive. Most dive destinations are pretty reticent to discuss accidents, even those that happen at other shops. They feel that the tide floats all boats... and can just as easily leave them all stranded too. This was the result of bad personal decisions and not endemic to Coz as a whole.

Here's a link to the long thread called Scubamau diving accident.

The version I remember is that Opal intended to do a very deep bounce dive, but went a good deal deeper than intended (there was speculation perhaps narcosis was a factor). Gaby went after her to rescue her. She later died; I don't know what kind of shape he ended up in.

But let's be mindful Opal owned the dive operation, and Gaby was on staff. The people involved should've known what they were getting into, and chose to take the risks.

My point is, when we talk about the safety of a dive op., I think it's often from the perspective of the potential customer...would this dive op. be unsafe to dive with? I don't recall any complaints of unsafe dive practices with the regular customers.
One thing that should be pointed out with respect to that incident is that it wasn't a regular dive trip with customers. It was an extracurricular dive with three people who knew that they were doing something way off the rec diving page. It was ill advised, for sure, but it really has no bearing on regular diving practices on Cozumel. You can get killed doing something stupid while crossing the street.

One thing that should be pointed out with respect to that incident is that it wasn't a regular dive trip with customers. It was an extracurricular dive with three people who knew that they were doing something way off the rec diving page
I had a conversation with a diver who was on that trip. What I was told was that it was a trip with clients and once the injured were on board the captain delayed returning in due to the 4 client divers were still in the water unaware of the incident. Gabby was not participating in the 'bounce diving' but became injured while rescuing Opal when her buddy could not or would not go down and get her from 300+ (?) Ft. My point in this is there is really no reliable factual news reporting organizations in most of the world (and getting worse due to the internet) and much of the reporting lacks depth and accuracy. Most news reports on 'dive' fatalities are very lacking in knowlage and facts. Most dive destinations are close communities and people in them are protective and resist speculation.

Last edited:
gopbroek, that lack of information is common in Cozumel events. The current missing diver is one, as was the case of the missing woman who was diving with her two brothers.

If there was anything to learn from these events, that is lost from the near complete blackout on factual information even from the diver's buddy.

The best you can do is come to your own conclusions and do your best not to repeat any mistakes made. Be self-reliant. Be able to self-rescue and help others.

Monitor other divers when you can. Watch over newish divers.

As for competitors making accusatory claims against each other, there's obvious conflict of interest. And it's not the competitor who performs the investigation; it'll be the authorities, or maybe the courts (e.g.: law suit). What does a competitor have to go on? Second-hand sources like newspaper accounts & rumors?
The other side of the coin is this. The world often never hears the detailed results of the investigations. In the instances that we do, it can be years later.

Since the accurate information is unavailable, our options are
1. Pretend like nothing happened. Learn nothing.
2. speculate/guess/do our best with the limited information available. Maybe learn something or at a minimum increase awareness that some practices are unsafe.

Personally, I think option 2 is preferable.

Obviously a third option where available information was freely (and quickly) shared so others could learn would be even better. Unfortunately, that's not what happens.

In this case, someone died doing a deep bounce dive. Since there's lots of folks on scubaboard who are okay with deep bounce dives, it can be somewhat grounding to hear that yep.. all those dangerous things they warn you about in scuba class could possibly really be dangerous.

This is probably an inexperienced question but how does one become paralysed while diving?

It isn't while diving, it is later when the nitrogen bubble forms in the spinal stuff. They try to reduce the bubble through the chamber, but it can also scar I think, making it permanent damage .

Back
Top Bottom