Disheartened Diver Needing Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, post here the name (and address if mult location) of the dive shop you are using. By using an LDS, you pay more but can expect special attention and services that you may not get with online dealers.

Then, go back to that shop and tell them about your problems so they can exerecise that special serviceand attention you paid for and make this right.

Finally, come back here and tell us what a great job they did for you and how learning to scuba is going to be such a pleasure again....

Anya, you're certainly not alone.

The mask: I've gone through about 8 or 9 different masks before finding one that I liked, that fit well, that didn't leak. My final fit happened to be a SeaVision Ultra, however, it's completely dependent on the shape of your face -- so it's different for everyone.
Also, keep in mind that a mask too tight can be even worse than one too loose. Overtightening the straps won't fix leaks, or an ill fit -- it'll simply pinch your face.

The fins: I've found that an all rubber foot pocket is most comfortable for me (as opposed to composite blend materials). Also, I agree with the above, that it has to fit snug/stable in conjunction with your booties, as opposed to loose, or you *will* develop bruises/blisters.
I've found this combination in Apollo Bio Pros, however, again, it's a personal preference. The Apollos are also very flexible, and don't offer resistance against your foot (while they still give you the thrust you're looking for).

The trick is trying/renting a few different models 'til you find your comfort zone. It's the same for everyone -- so don't become disheartened...

sounds like the mask strap is too tight. Remember, it is just to keep the mask from falling off your head-not to seal it to your face. (Maybe you have it too tight because it won't seal, I don't know) You should get a good seal in the store without the strap. Then the ultimate test is in the water. (Also-get a slap strap so you don't pull your hair.)
You may have to go to different shops and try different brands until you find just the right one. Some people can fit almost any and others can hardly find just one to fit right.

Fins-well try a lighter pair. I am not familiar with the one you have. Maybe even look at the Tusa split fin which is designed for bicycle kicking. It is easier on the knees and hips. Many people with weak/bad knees and hips choose this fin for that reason. You will still get propulsion and not stress your legs as much.

Mask: Don't buy a mask online! You HAVE to try them on. While trying it on in the store, make funny faces like you have a regulator in your mouth. The reg changes the shape of your face. Shop every LDS in town if you have to, but having the right mask makes all the difference in the world.

Fins: If the fins fit you, then you may be pulling the straps too tight. No need crank down on the straps. If you have to crank down on the straps to keep them on then they are too big.

Try a kick with your legs straight, do not bend the knees, lightly point the toes. Kick from your hips. That should relieve some of the pressure on your ankles to help you survive your class with those bruises.

Gosh, once again, thanks so much for all your help everyone!

CrazyDuck, you give the most awesome responses. The details are beyond useful, and I know it must take time, so I really appreciate it! I don't mind doing the drills at all...and clearing masks is just about second nature now after all this (impromptu) practice, hehe! I just got frustrated when clearing my badly fitting mask would make me miss an important demonstration underwater! I made sure to wear the strap loosely, after reading related posts on here, but it didn't stop the plastic from pressing into my lip. I guess it just hangs down too low when I have the regulator in...Blah

YellowfinKunkfish and robertarak, I'm going down to Houston to try the Mares / Atomic this week *fingers crossed*! Thanks!

TSandM, after reading your site info, I'm pretty sure you may be one of the coolest people on the face of the planet. Your dive journal was a life saver (it made me laugh, AND let me know what I was getting into!). And divewookie, I've secretly always wanted a mustache....although it'd look a little funny with my lipstick! :wink:

Hello all!

Thanks so much...I know I'll love it when I can get the darned gear right!!

Who is your instructor and dive master for the class? These are the best people to work with you during your OW certification.

If you are not getting the help you need, then many of us in the swamp can help you with the basics.

You have identified the most important part of learning to dive, having your equipment fit right and operate correctly so that you can focus on the sport of diving.

PM me and I will give you the procedure for mask fit and fin fit tips.

Wishing you all the best to sort this out.

Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

Are the marks on top of your feet? if they are it might be the position your sitting at the bottem of the pool. When i was going through pool time for certification i experienced the same problem. I thought it was the fins but it turn out to be the position of my feet. the tops of my feet were flat against the bottem of pool. 3or4 hours in this position can cause problems especialy if your feet are boney on the top like my feet.When in the pool change the postion of your feet from time to time. Once the certification class were finished the pain went away and the openwater dives were no problem.I use scubapro twin jet fins the same fins i was certifed in. pi are not square pi are round, how is my spelling?

I admit I just skimmed the posts but I really cannot believe no one suggested not flutter kicking.

There is absolutely no rule that says a diver must flutter kick.

Anya, if you know how to do a frog or breast stroke kick, do one. You can do one with splits and move along just fine. You can flutter on your CESA, alternate air ascent, and other ascents, but to get along in the water try using a frog kick.

Best wishes to you,

TwoBit

Hello all!

Does anyone know of a short-under-the-nose, made-for-a-narrow-face mask, or have a fin suggestion for a not-overly-strong 22 year old girl?

My wife had the same issue with the mask. Eventually found the Sherwood Magnum EX mask to fit well.

She also found a pair of Aqualung V-Tec split fins that did not cause her leg cramps. I use the fins as well. My only complaint is that they are not great when fighting strong currents; although, very rarely an issue.

You are certainly welcome to try both once you get certified if we happen to hit a SASD dive outing at the same time.

Jeff

Anya.... all you need to do is seal that mask around the edges with a little bit of mud and that leaking will stop. Some folks say it even helps your vision so rub a little on the glass too.
Women ( even 22 year old ones) pay big money to have other people rub mud on they're faces at the Spa. They say it makes 'em look pretty.
I don't know ... I think it just makes them look like they have mud on they're face.

Skip the high prices at the spa and just go natural and use the mud at the lake where you dive. I promise results that are at least as good ( maybe better) then the advise you have recieved so far.
:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom