Ditchable weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been in almost exactly that position before when taking my BP/W to Key Largo and using steel tanks. I ended up switching to AL tanks so I would have a few pounds to ditch. Lots of folks do it but I prefer to have about 4 pounds to ditch. My thinking is 4 pounds will help if I REALLY need to ditch weight but not make me pop to the top like a cork.

Does a can light count? I could always ditch it,...right?

I can see both sides of the argument, I think if it ever came down to a question of needing it the whole debate will seem silly. I hope I have the wherewithal to ditch the light when/if I should have to. Realistically though, to get positive from neutral you do not have to ascend far at all.

If you're weighted properly, you should be able to swim up without having to ditch any weight. If you're concerned about that, then dive redundantly. Dive a dry suit for redundant buoyancy, or if you're diving wet, then dive a dual bladder system. I dive a AL BP and in doubles, in my dry suit, in fresh water, I'm neutral at the end of the dive with no ditchable weight.

I just cannot think of any reason to ditch my weight underwater. I can swim me and my gear to the surface. Even control the rate by not swimming straight up. Maybe my brain is too slow today. On the surface, you may need to if your bladder exploded. If that ever happens I can just ditch the whole thing.

I dive warm waters. Polartec full diveskin with AL80, AL backplate with no weights. On my Mares Vector 1000, I needed 1 weight. My current BPW setup is balanced and I dive without air in the BC. So far, I only needed to inflate my BC on the surface to relax and float.

If you intend to dive with no weights, be sure that you are able to fin to the surface easily with no air in the BC.

Or if all else fails, carry a SMB/spool or lift bag/spool for backup.

Or better still, use your BEST REDUNDANT LIFT SYSTEM -

YOUR BUDDY !!!

the K

partridge:
I just cannot think of any reason to ditch my weight underwater.

I agree there are very few, one really that involves being on the edge of conciousness and totally SOL on all the other fine suggestions mentioned here.

If you have that many misses already might as well try the buoyant ascent, you're life's a crap shoot anyway.

I'm using 6lbs with +ve fins and jacket style BC. After I switched to using BP + Jetfins, I can go without any weights, but if I hit 50 bar, I will tend to be slightly bouyant. Thus I carry 2lbs, to make myself slight -ve, which I can compensate.

Back
Top Bottom