Ditchable weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought you said you knew all of this stuff prior to going into the class? If you knew the math, but not the reasoning it seems like that would have been a perfect opportunity to ask about the "why."

On the other hand, you don't know what you don't know. Computing the balanced rig is simple addition, and a great many slides in it. 'k, got it. However, "ditchable" did not arise as a topic, and discussions of bolt-on weights did, it seemed to be the GUE way of doing business to have "non-ditchable" weights.

Last edited:
I dont often dive with ditchable weight

Is that common among GUE? Is that perhaps why the instructors didn't bring up the topic?

well if you dont need it it's common.
if you're overweighted you would need some ditchable weight. i dont often dive in a wetsuit but when I do it's with single tanks and it's trivial to swim them up if needed. for me at least

well if you dont need it it's common.
if you're overweighted you would need some ditchable weight. i dont often dive in a wetsuit but when I do it's with single tanks and it's trivial to swim them up if needed. for me at least

Yeah, but that's because you're LiteHedded . . . :)

On the FL trip, a lot of the dives were in the 80 to 90 foot range. The tank choices were Al80 singles and Al80 doubles. It's hard to do a decent dive and maintain rock bottom on a single Al80 at those depths, which is why doubles were encouraged. It made the logistics of the trip very difficult, because things aren't set up to refill on boats there. Two single, larger tanks would have been perfect, but they just weren't available in the numbers we needed. Bill, Dan and Sandra were, I believe, diving HP100s.

I don't have anything against diving doubles, even just because you like them. I mostly dive mine to stay current on using them so I'm good for the occasional tech dive I do here, and for my cave diving trips. But I like the way they swim -- I just don't like hauling them around very much. My beef with doubles is that I have seen too many people get into them before they had achieved a stable platform in a single tank setup. Doubles, in my experience, make getting that done more difficult, because the inherent top-heaviness of the gear requires careful attention to weighting and is MUCH more unforgiving of anything short of perfect posture in the water. Most of us, even those who had buoyancy and trim pretty much nailed in a single tank, went through a head-up period during the switch -- if you haven't internalized the feeling of horizontal trim before you switch, it's much harder, I think, to find that place and solidify it. I know at least a couple of GUE instructors agree with me on this.

Lyne,

Asking this as pure curiosity, how would one do ditchable weight with backmounted doubles? The doubles folks were talking about bolt-ons and such to trim out . . . needing a wrench doesn't seem very ditchable. Our example didn't address doubles.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 70
Is that common among GUE? Is that perhaps why the instructors didn't bring up the topic?

No, I'd say it's 50/50 with GUE trained divers.

Don't focus so much on "ditchable" vs "non-ditchable" and focus only on having a balanced rig. Once you have a balanced rig, the ballast type is irrelevant; which is (IMO) why it wasn't brought up by your instructor.

I personally use about 8 lbs. ditchable ballast on a weight belt if I only use 1 backup light and no argon. I use 4lbs. on a belt if I use two backup lights (3 C-cell) and argon bottle.

Lyne,

Asking this as pure curiosity, how would one do ditchable weight with backmounted doubles? The doubles folks were talking about bolt-ons and such to trim out . . . needing a wrench doesn't seem very ditchable. Our example didn't address doubles.

weight belt is what I use

Reactions: Jax
Lyne,

You should be able to swim up a single tank no matter what the size/material if you are wearing a drysuit. If you are wearing a thick wetsuit and a single hp130 at 120fsw you might have a problem swimming up but I doubt it.

In most of my steel doubles, I use a 18lbs of lead in salt and 10lbs in fresh (I'm skinny but buoyant with a lofty suit or I'll freeze here).

I have both 8 and 10lb V-weights and can use those alone or in combination with a weight belt.

Reality is with no wing I can swim up full doubles easy and even easier with help from my drysuit. So I don't need ditchable lead even though I have some. I almost never have air/nitrox in my largest doubles so even though they are 95s/119s/108s they don't weight any more than 85s of nitrox (~15lbs negative).

Note: most people new to diving doubles are head heavy and would be better off skipping the V-weight and using a belt to put whatever lead they need "south". Once your platform is increasingly stable v-weights or tail weights are a more viable weighting option in doubles.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom