Ditching the depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All you need is a $65 dollar watch with a built in depth gauge.
Exactly what I do.. Except the $65 part as it was primarilly purchased because I needed a new wristwatch so I just got CITIZEN Depth Meter Chronograph BJ2115-07E Watch - CITIZEN Promaster Collection Watches and took two birds with one stone.
Dont know why though, but my metric one has a depth gauge that goes to 55m (180ft) instead of the 125 feet you get over there..

That said, I have a console mounted computer so its a bit of hassle removed as well using the watch over the computer.
I never had any depth gauge other than my dive computer btw.

Just dive with my computer. Not worried. Dive buddy has one too:D

Or, you could do like Captain Don (of Bonaire fame) did back in the day... he tied a red ribbon to a mask strap, and learned what color it was at different depths..!

LOL! Brilliant depth gauge right there DrMike.. :D

If you dive the same sites day after day (like guides do) you dont even really need a depth gague though as youll know by heart at what depth every landmark is anyways :p

Or, you could do like Captain Don (of Bonaire fame) did back in the day... he tied a red ribbon to a mask strap, and learned what color it was at different depths..!

That's ingenious, but it'd only work when diving in areas of consistent viz (like Bonaire).

JMO If you are serious about your goal of DMing some day. You will have tweaked your kit more than a half dozen times by the time you get there. So in that thought, a second way of recording depth and time may make it into your kit.
BTY? As long as you can use your computer, you should be able to dive!
See you topside! John

Don't think I mentioned anything about pleasing PADI being my highest priority, that's some scathing presumptive sarcasm there, thanks for the input(!).

Aside from that thanks for the reassurance scubaboard! It's definitely my personal preferred option right now and if it'll be an acceptable set up for DMing next year then there's no reason not to. Have ordered a new single spg and will rejig everything before my trip next week. Woop!

Yes Thal, please let us all know where one can get the $65 watch with depth gauge. I'd buy several in a heartbeat just to have for students.

Back
Top Bottom