Dive-Alert/Hammerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am doing a little research for a christmas gift. I think it is about time that I get a signal device since next summer I will be doing more Gulf dives than I did this year. I was thinking about getting a Dive-alert but then I was told that it only works above water were as a hammerhead works both above and below water. Which sounds like a better idea to me? I would just like see hear yall's thoults before I add either to my Christmas wish list.

Neither device is suitable for use above and below.

The hammerhead makes a quacking noise underwater, but isn't very loud on the surface and might not be loud enough to get anybody's attention.

The Dive-Alert is useless underwater, but will deafen anybody within about 10 fet on the surface and can be heard on boats very far away.

Since my main concern would be signalling a boat, and since underwater squakers drive me crazy (you can't localize sound underwater), I'd go for the Dive-Alert.

Terry

MichaelBaranows:
I am doing a little research for a christmas gift. I think it is about time that I get a signal device since next summer I will be doing more Gulf dives than I did this year. I was thinking about getting a Dive-alert but then I was told that it only works above water were as a hammerhead works both above and below water. Which sounds like a better idea to me? I would just like see hear yall's thoults before I add either to my Christmas wish list.

If you want a surface signal you could always go with the safety sausage, lil' easier on the ears. Dive-Alerts seem bulky to me, but I've not used one.

go for the dive alert. i am not sure who told you the hammerhead worked above water, too, but it does not. you might as well clap your hands. as i found, even the dive alert does not go very far when the boat is upwind from you. however, as far as acoustic signals, it is probably as good as you can get.

MichaelBaranows:
I have a surface sausage but that is only visual. I have whistle but was thinking that something a little loud might be useful to get people attention if they are not looking in my direction.

Whistles are good. The large clapper-less ones (storm whistles and the like) take a good deep breath to blow. I suspect that the would be tiring if used for too long in the water.

The mini coast guard ones (thin and bent at the end) don't take as much breath but are not as loud. Ones with clapper are louder for the breath, but foul easily in the water.

I have a whistle attached to my pack. Its a smaller version of the storm whistle style. Pretty loud and easier to blow than a full size one. A normal exhaled breath will blow it.

A dive alert may be a good idea particularlly off shore. If you need one you need other gear too. A mirror is good too, and can be spotted up wind. If you can flash it in someones face it will get their attention.

Strobes may be a good alternative to the dive alert, both as a gift and a emeregency signal. Get ones designed for divers, not waterproof boaters versions.

CD_in_Chitown:
If you want a surface signal you could always go with the safety sausage, lil' easier on the ears. Dive-Alerts seem bulky to me, but I've not used one.
There have been many incidents reported where a diver aborted a dive and surfaced near, but downcurrent from a boat, and nobody was LOOKING. Dive-Alerts work even if they aren't looking your way.

Dive Alerts, signal sausages, and lung powered whistles are complementary devices and it makes sense to carry all three, along with a signal mirror.

Dive Alerts, signal sausages, and lung powered whistles are complementary devices and it makes sense to carry all three, along with a signal mirror.

The dive alert may be used to fill the signal sausage. Just push the oral inflator on the sausage into the orifice on the dive alert and hit the button. Make sure the sausage has an over pressure release.:11:

I have a dive alert, and a saftey sausage. An old CD works great as a mirror and doesn't take up too much room. You can tie a lanyard through the hole.
Those underwater qwackers drive me crazy, too.

Divedoggie:
I have a dive alert, and a saftey sausage. An old CD works great as a mirror and doesn't take up too much room. You can tie a lanyard through the hole.
Those underwater qwackers drive me crazy, too.
A signal mirror also works great as a mirror (about 90% better than a CD) and doesn't take up much room. Check out some of the past threads on the poor performance of a CD compaired to a real mirror.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom