Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... and from my observation some of the great old timers can (and probably have) cheerfully gone diving just about any way! Look at those vintage dive photos! Fluorescent colors make me happy!

Used to go diving in the 1970s wearing blue jeans and flannel shirt with long underwear and cotton garden gloves because I could not afford a wetsuit. Even dove under the ice that way once in 1979. Am an old timer, been diving since 1976 when I worked for a dive shop in Houston. Was diving in Hawaii last year and was rinsing my gear at a dive shop I rented tanks from. A fellow diver spotted my Mark14, P200, and R390 and commented how old they were. He said scubapro only made it a short time, realized their mistake and replaced it. I commented that it worked well for me but it was only a back up regulator set. Oh, he said an extra regulator? Yep, I bought these when the airline temporarily lost my primary set. Now I still carry this extra set Incase the airline breaks or loses them again. Then I pulled the other tank out of the car with my Mark7 and a pair of 109s. He asked what... I said I bought them in the 70s and have not seen any reason to replace them they seem to work well for me. Of course I upgraded to double ballanced but really I never could really tell much difference (between you and I). Sometimes I still dive my Sub Aquatic Systems reg but have not in a while.

I have an old set of US Divers but have never used them. Would like to compare them and the Dacor rigs someday... my guess is they all breathe ok if properly maintained.

@Diver1961 you are cool! I’ve never used those old regs, but I used to drive vintage cars... my first car was a 1966 Dodge Coronet, pale blue with a white top and a white interior. My ex had two Studebaker Avanti’s designed by Raymond Lowey. No modern car comes even close.

I'm diving some new Apeks or another. I bought a US Divers Calypso J when my buddies were diving the Conshelf XII in the late 70s. To be honest I don't think I can detect a difference in how the new regs breathe compared to back then.

Wow, now I’m curious @Kharon what IS your diving style (hoping it includes lots of 1980’s fluorescent color yay)

Nope. I layer under a regular 3mm, use a jacket BC in cold water, soft backpack/harness in warm, snorkel and fins normal, mask retro -
upload_2018-3-3_8-22-23.jpeg

BUT - I always carry a pony, prefer to dive solo, have a very short primary hose that won't reach an OOA diver so they have to use my pony's long hose - once they are set I unclip it and pass it to them so as not to be tied together. I don't want anyone to touch my gear or "help me" while I'm gearing up or down. I put my mask on my forehead as I walk into the water and sometimes when I reach shore. Otherwise it's on my face because it has perscription lenses.

One doesn't like me because I am not in awe of him and his gear. One thinks everyone should obediantly and immediately do what he says - yeah, I'm down with that - NOT. And one dislikes me because I dive solo. That one wears a dry suit on GC & Bonaire but I never said anything. BTW - all are past club presidents.

I like the tone of this thread!! Me, personally, I dive to enjoy and or play with "stuff"! I have way more gear than any one person needs. I love to sit and experiment with configurations for BC's, Sidemount, and back mount dives. Adjusting and rebuilding regs is just icing on the cake. My diving has gone to mostly solo, I travel a ton for work, so I dive when I can and don't wish to wait or try to adjust to someone else's schedule. I am very fortunate to have been mentored by a fantastic diver and friend, and we were also fortunate to live just minutes from the St. Lawrence with all it's wrecks and fishes. Do I really care wether someone is pushing the BP wing or a rebreather,,NO!! Do what makes you happy or what you feel comfortable with! Life is short, BE HAPPY, and treat others like you want to be treated!!

I am left handed and I dive an AIR2. So I put my air integrated console on the right so I can hold my Air2/bc vent in my left simultaneously. So logical! In an OOA situation if someone mugs me for my primary I am reaching for my AIR2 with my dominant hand. Yep, I’ve been told my console is on the “wrong” side and when my reg is serviced despite telling them it usually comes back attached incorrectly on the left. As a Lefty you get used to questioning things. Safe for rightys can be dangerous or at least inconvenient for us... especially power tools!

I’ve noticed as men age they either get angry or they get mellow
A phenomenon shared with the females of our species! :D :D :D Make no doubt about it, everyone makes me happy. Some as they arrive and others as they leave! As soon as I am perfect, I'll demand that of everyone else. Until then, it's dive and let dive. Sure, I'll give the cantankerous few a generous berth, not only on land but in the water and on the forum. Life's too short to be mean or to accommodate meanness for very long. I dive and post for the fun of it, and feel free to filter out the "noise" as I see fit.

Have you ever noticed the "but, but you don't understand" diver? They just can't accept that you can disagree with them and understand all the salient facts. They say the same thing over and over again, complain about others' reading comprehension and attack others' intelligence and intuition. We get it, but we still don't agree! I don't mind telling peeps why my gear is set up the way it is, but dayum, I don't need a lecture on why your way is better. Take @aquacat8's method of securing her SPG. It fits her diving: not necessarily yours. I happen to clip off my SPG on my left shoulder D-ring so I never have to unclip it during the dive. Once it's turned just right, I don't even have to touch it to see my pressure. If you ask me why, I'll gladly tell you, but I don't need you to try give me remedial training when I'm only going out to see the purdy fishies. You will probably be pissed off as I ignore you to find someone else to talk to as you blather on and on. :D I like variety and if I see a unique set up, I'll probably try to learn about it from you. Then again, it might scare the bejeebers out of me and I'll simply steer away. I'll dive my way and let you dive your way! We can both have fun and see lots of purdy fishies.

An idea just popped in my head:

Why not make a hybrid split/paddle fin with a zipper? Best of both worlds.

While doing long surface swims, unzip to have splits and during the dive where you want the control (yes, I know you can frog/back kick with splits), you zip it closed.

@cerich, if you are listening, I want royalties!!!

:wink:

Just to be clear, I am joking

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom