Dive Boat Etiquette on SoCal Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big dog13:
Hi all,
I have not responded to many threads here but this one deserves something,
1) Keep your gear to a min. and in YOUR SPOT.
2) If you want a good spot i.e. certain side or on the bench then get to the boat early enough to get it DONT come up from the first dive and play musical spots cause if you take mine your gear is going over the side!
...[deleted]
5) While we are on the subject politeness this should be extended to other passengers as well when you see someone walk toward you w/ hands full don't just stand there like some dumbass and wait for them to say excuse me and then roll your eyes cause you are too whatever to move, instead just be polite and move.
Amen to that, brother! Those people are the ones that stand around blocking the hallways at malls and airports and just won't get the #*$&#@ out of anyone's way.
big dog13:
6) If it isn't yours than don't touch it ask first!
Unless it's in your spot? (see #2 above)
big dog13:
7) Air consumption; we all pay the same amt. to get on the boat if you are fortunate like my wife and I and can get 50 to 80 min. on a tank than that's great if not then you need to work on that aspect of your diving and quit whining and as far as the boat cutting the dive day shot by 1 or more dives because of this well all I can say is that would be the last time I went on that boat!
If your conservative air consumption allows you to remain in the water for a lot longer than the dive plan as explained to you by the DM (you were paying attention, weren't you?), and you do, and this costs the whole boat one more dive, and you never came back, I'm sure that would please everyone.

bgi:
If your conservative air consumption allows you to remain in the water for a lot longer than the dive plan as explained to you by the DM (you were paying attention, weren't you?), and you do, and this costs the whole boat one more dive, and you never came back, I'm sure that would please everyone.
Although some boats I've been on state some kind of schedule expectation in the briefing (for example the "be-back time" on Reef Seekers charters), many or most local ones I've been on don't. I've found it's more typical for them to say the gate is open until a certain time (i.e. if you want to get into the water, do so by then), and then they assume you'll be back in whatever an average amount of time is. I usually dive a 100 c.f. tank and like to putter around at 30 or 40 ft taking pictures, so stellar SAC or not, I've frequently been the first in the water and the last one back on the boat. So as not to subject myself to withering scorn, as I'm getting in the water I try to ask what time they want to be pulling the anchor to stay on schedule.

MaxBottomtime:
Don't expect the crew to do anything more than get you to the dive sites and take your fins from you at the swimstep. Anything else they do can be considered a bonus and should be considered in the tip.

I hope your not suggesting a tip just for getting me to the dive site, Ive already paid for that service up front.

Frank O:
So as not to subject myself to withering scorn, as I'm getting in the water I try to ask what time they want to be pulling the
anchor to stay on schedule.

I think I mentioned this 6 pages ago in my post - you gotta ask what time they want you back. If the DM doesn't give me a time to be back, then I'm not late.

Frank is so right - 99% of the time, you get the "gate will be open for 25 minutes" thing... "not be back by..." You gotta ask.

Often I'm the first one in and the last one back. Many, many times, the boat has literally been waiting on me and my buddy to return. We hit the step, then the deck, and the engines stsrt up. So what? If, when asked directly (and I always do) the DM doesn't provide a be back time, then I'm not late. I dive a 130 - so I lots o' gas and plan on being down a long, long time.

By the same token, I am always on time if there is a hard stop time provided.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I think I mentioned this 6 pages ago in my post - you gotta ask what time they want you back. If the DM doesn't give me a time to be back, then I'm not late.

---
Ken
Thanks for this tip 6 pages ago, Ken. I've used it every single time I've dived on a commercial boat since then, and it's a world of difference. My buddy and I could easily do 80+ minute dives, and have not a single "late" issue since I've learned to clarify time expectations with the DM. I'm always putting gear away as they throttle up the screws and move out.
Now, if the enthusiastic-but-less-experienced folk would just learn to "dive out of their gear bags", I could stop walking over piles of gear on the deck....gotta have a few pet peeves for company!
Thanks,
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
Thanks for this tip 6 pages ago, Ken. I've used it every single time I've dived on a commercial boat since then, and it's a world of difference. My buddy and I could easily do 80+ minute dives, and have not a single "late" issue since I've learned to clarify time expectations with the DM. I'm always putting gear away as they throttle up the screws and move out.
Now, if the enthusiastic-but-less-experienced folk would just learn to "dive out of their gear bags", I could stop walking over piles of gear on the deck....gotta have a few pet peeves for company!
Thanks,
Claudette

Its the price we pay for being last on - having to come over the transom, wet & tired on dive 3 (or 4) and having to manage the minefield of booties, fins and bags from people that have packed, or started packing... still wearing our tanks, as we stagger to what used to be our spot.

Funny. Sad. True.

HINT: If people are still in the water, the boat is still live, people. Keep the deck clear until we come back.

---
Ken

Am I understanding that people with less money should be reading a book on the beach??? Or stay home?

I have very good friends who are good divers, good people who cannot afford to leave 400.00$ of tip after a week of vacation. Are they that bad for leaving 150$ -200$.

Is diving only for the upper class? I used to be a ski instructor and I can count on one hand the number of time we were receiving tip! And they say that skiing is expensive - I'll say it is nothing compare to diving.

I can afford the tip so I do it. Ans some times the crew does not even deserve it. However, I find it upsetting to read some of the comments about people who need to be careful in the way they are spending their money.

big dog13:

4)TIPS; it was said before but here goes again diving is not the cheapest hobby/sport and 1 should think of this always with that said IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A $15-$20 TIP THEN STAY ON SHORE or find a sport/hobby that you can afford.
Hell I not only tip, but in the polite part of knowing the crews names my wife and I also know there favorite after work drinks and believe me this goes a long way!

5) While we are on the subject politeness this should be extended to other passengers as well when you see someone walk toward you w/ hands full don't just stand there like some dumbass and wait for them to say excuse me and then roll your eyes cause you are too whatever to move, instead just be polite and move.

6) If it isn't yours than don't touch it ask first!

7) Air consumption; we all pay the same amt. to get on the boat if you are fortunate like my wife and I and can get 50 to 80 min. on a tank than that's great if not then you need to work on that aspect of your diving and quit whining and as far as the boat cutting the dive day shot by 1 or more dives because of this well all I can say is that would be the last time I went on that boat! Shoot recently we were on a Ventura boat and had an emergency diver evcac. (Solely because she was unqualified both mentally and physically) and we still did our 4 dive but got back a little later is all.

I agree w/ the cig butt issue I am a non- smoker but was raised (a long time ago) in a smokers home and for the most part I feel that smokers are some of the most inconsiderate people I know when it comes to where, when they smoke and what they do with the leftovers and if I have offended anyone well sorry.....Get over it

Basically if you are a decent person off the h2o you will be fine on most boats just use common sense and DON’T be afraid to ask questions, the first thing I tell newbie’s the dumbest question is the one that was never asked and lastly if you must hurl do it over the side and be quite when others are sleeping.

headhunter:
Great information!

Tipping has been mentioned a couple of times, so I'll ask a few follow up questions.

What is a proper amount to tip in SoCal assuming that they are doing a stellar job?

What is the amount of tip based on if the job is less than stellar, but not bad enough to withhold a tip completely?

Do you tip everyone individually or do you usually toss an amount into a kitty?

I understand that situations may vary because of one member of the crew being absolutely worthless while the others are working like animals for you. I'm looking for the general rule.

Christian

I haven't heard enough about tipping. I am a DM that organizes trips in FL for people that I do not usually attend. On a recent trip, most of my divers did not tip the staff. To me, that is unacceptable. I have used that shop several times and the oat staff is always above par. In April, I managed to dive on a trip I organized and I included the tip in the deposit money I expected from the divers. I collect all dive fees in advance to cover the reservations. In doing that, I insure that the boat/shop gets tipped and we are welcome to return. It eliminates all hassles. If I ever have a complaint about the boat staff, I make that complaint known through proper channels and do not penalize the entire staff.

Glenna

nanadiver:
I haven't heard enough about tipping. I am a DM that organizes trips in FL for people that I do not usually attend. On a recent trip, most of my divers did not tip the staff. To me, that is unacceptable. I have used that shop several times and the oat staff is always above par. In April, I managed to dive on a trip I organized and I included the tip in the deposit money I expected from the divers. I collect all dive fees in advance to cover the reservations. In doing that, I insure that the boat/shop gets tipped and we are welcome to return. It eliminates all hassles. If I ever have a complaint about the boat staff, I make that complaint known through proper channels and do not penalize the entire staff.

Glenna

Then I would not dive through you it is my right to decided weather or not someone giving me service has earned a tip or not.

xepi33 first of all stay on the beach refers to beach diving reading a book is optional as for a week of diving say 2 people total of 16 dives $200.00 to 250.00 would be fine I think however when planning a week vacation to throw in an extra 250.00 or so is easy to do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom