Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always vomit off the leeward side is my tip of the day. :)

After your first dive sit in the same place you were before so that I don't have to ask you to move so I can get my gear out from under you.

All great bits and bites of advise...........I think we get the idea on the rinse bucket. Lets move on

Happy diving

Don Janni:
I didn't misread it Walter. Advice on "to rinse or not rinse a mask" is a pretty big stretch as being relative to Dive Boat Etiquette.

... but then a lot of people have followed your lead so oh well.

Etiquette - conventional requirements as to social behavior; proprieties of conduct as established in any class or community or for any occasion.

DandyDon:
Oh that had to be embarrassing. :shakehead It should have been well marked, tho: Cameras

I'm not sure I've ever seen one marked! :D Generally the DM gives a briefing first thing on the way out where they indicate what the rinse buckets are for.

What generally is obvious is that most camera rinse buckets have camera's in them before people even begin to gear up.

I am going to avoid using rinse buckets in the future as my Dome got scratched to heck, and while I think part of it was from the rope going down onto the Grove in serious current (the camera got tangled up when I started to decend) I think that the rinse bucket may have also been part of the reason.

I don't generally use the rinse buckets for my mask. I often use the shower if they have one. After the dive a quick dip maybe, but that's about it.

catherine96821:
treacherous, undersail, backward tilling dock jobs?

Oh, and I really think not having a SMB is rude cause we all have to find your sorry bobbin noggin out there and it makes us run late for dinner when the swells are big.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

You know my thoughts on this, and IMO they should be Mandatory on ANY dive with current, and maybe all ocean dives period. They are inexpensive, easy to carry, and why would anyone NOT have one other than that they don't realize how vital they can be.

I joined the 2 mile club on Conch Reef (well I think we were more like .5 miles when we surfaced). Both my buddy and myself had Safety Sausages, and the Captain was VERY happy that we had them, and used them. He saw us the second we surfaced.

Oh, don't put your weight belts on the bench where they drop on tootsies.

Men, trim those toenails.

Don't smoke, the seasick people want to blow your brains out when you do that.

If there are sodas for post dive, cut yourself off after three. If the head has a problem tip the crew off before it flows over.

Try not to ram the prop with your tank.

catherine96821:
Men, trim those toenails.

Don't smoke, the seasick people want to blow your brains out when you do that.

Try not to ram the prop with your tank.

Good points Catherine, it's not "un-manly" to use clippers. I don't know why but this bugs me, too. It goes for fingernails as well. As for smoking, well, bring along the ol' six-shooter and you'll have an instant cure for smoking. And finally, when it comes to the tank/prop thing, use your head. It does far less damage to the prop.

Oh, one more thing. You can learn a LOT from just watching experienced divers on the boat, from kitting up to overall behavior. You can learn a lot about what "not" to do by observing the "others" and thinking a little about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom