Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a suggestion to the DMs and Captains, use a water hose off the side of the boat. There is no bucket and you can reach it when entering or whenever you need it.
I have no idea what that means...?

DandyDon:
I have no idea what that means...?
A water hose, sticking out (somewhere close to the water entry point), running water.

Go to the water entry spot, spit in mask, stick mask in running water. Put mask on, jump in water.

No bucket.

JeffG:
A water hose, sticking out (somewhere close to the water entry point), running water.

Go to the water entry spot, spit in mask, stick mask in running water. Put mask on, jump in water.

No bucket.
Oh, ok, if you're sure. Sounds like a good way for some folks to drop their mask in the ocean.

I remember on The Great Escape our of Calf a couple of years ago, they had a small box by each exit gate with circulating sea water. That was neat.

DandyDon:
Oh, ok, if you're sure. Sounds like a good way for some folks to drop their mask in the ocean.
Try it. Turn on your tap, stick your mask under it. You would have to be a world class wimp to lose your mask.

DandyDon:
I remember on The Great Escape our of Calf a couple of years ago, they had a small box by each exit gate with circulating sea water. That was neat.
I've seen that way too and it works.

JeffG:
Try it. Turn on your tap, stick your mask under it. You would have to be a world class wimp to lose your mask.
Yep, I know. I've dived with them.
I've seen that way too and it works.
Very well. I rinsed my coffee cup in it, too. Same water I've diving in. :)

I've never been on these types of boats before (always smaller ones in freshwater)... but from the last 7 pages, I guess these mask buckets are apparently a huge issue and one of the only problems with peoples dive boat ettiquete... :D

I have a buddy who enters the water, swims out away from the entry point, takes his pask off, hawks a lugie in it, rubs it around, rinses his mask off... and thats his defog. It works great too.

We all rinse our masks off in the water before getting back on the boat too, but again, I've never been on a cattle boat.. always a laid back boat where you can take your time and enter/exit as you please in fresh water only.

JeffG:

No bucket.

Well, most boats have fresh water showers. They are at the back, and work well for rinsing a mask. Sticking out somewhere...LOL..

RonFrank:
Well, most boats have fresh water showers. They are at the back, and work well for rinsing a mask. Sticking out somewhere...LOL..
Wooooooosh......

Why don't we move on from Mask Buckets, and see if there is any other suggestions on things you like and don't like.

Happy Diving

Scuba Brad:
Why don't we move on from Mask Buckets, and see if there is any other suggestions on things you like and don't like.
My suggestions ----

Space is limited
.... don't spread your gear all over the place
.... don't bring onboard monster rubbermaid tubs or non-collapsible suitcases

Respect other peoples time
..... show up for check-in on time.
..... if the plan is to do a 1 hour dive and move to another site, don't surface 90 minutes later.

One hand for the boat
..... it doesn't matter how much of an old salt you are, sudden unexpected rocking of the boat can dump you.

Listen to the dive briefing, or at the very very least, don't talk so loud that others can't hear it. If you don't listen to the dive site briefing, don't complain when you hit the water and swim away from the reef or wreck.

If you were the one and only one to see the whale shark, just keep your mouth shut. Unless you have photos. :)

Bungie your tank in place and make sure other gear is secure. Falling tanks both injure people and destroy gear.

When casting off and returning to the dock, stay out of the way of the crew. Often they have a routine, and helpful divers end up just getting in the way. OTOH, be ready to lend a hand if requested.

Turn off cellphones. I like the boat briefing of one Captain: "Don't worry, if your cellphone rings while you're diving, I'll just motor over and drop it down to you".

Kick back, relax and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom