Dive boat operators face charges of illegally feeding sharks in state waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would i be correct to assume that the majority of the shark bites that happen in florida happen closer to shore in or near the "surf zone" ? most bites are result of tasting i've heard and people don't taste good to sharks, but the surf zone makes it harder for them to distinguish between a hand/foot and a fish i believe.

Half of the bites in Florida are to surfers. Apparently surfing creates shark aggression which leads to these types of attacks. The only responsible thing to do then is to outlaw surfing to eliminate shark aggression, right? Not so right.

which is why we are interested in a study linking shark feeding & number and kind of shark attacks and where. As long as the feeding is clearly in federal waters... nothing can do about that... to reiterate - the original post/incident was because it happened in state waters.
It's alleged to have happened in State waters, but there is some controversy about that. A mistake may have been made about where the event took place.

Since the FWC agents were actually on the boat, I doubt a mistake was made . . . .

Also, why are we comparing the causes or incidence of shark bites from natural shark behavior (traditionally avoidant of divers) to stimulated shark behavior that has a demonstrable fatality history?

Since I won't do the actual feeding dives, what is more interesting, for me, is the evidence on whether fed sharks that are NOT in the presence of an actual ongoing feed have more propensity for agression. I am not sure there is any evidence on this one way or another. My observation is that they definitely have less caution about approaching divers, but I don't know if it goes any farther than that. I have not heard or read that the reef sharks around Stuart Cove's site have engaged injurious behavior. Don't know if the species makes a difference (ie adding hammers, bulls and tigers to the mix). Actually, we are apparently engaging in a broad-based experiment in Jupiter that, over the next 10 years, might give us some reliable insight one way or the other.

Oh, I just remembered that there was a bull shark bite on a diver in Mexico who was standing in the water when a feed was not actually going on, so there is one instance, that I know of.

Since the FWC agents were actually on the boat, I doubt a mistake was made . . . .
That's the point. The feeding didn't happen on the boat where a GPS would work. It happened in the water where they don't work.

Scott, the plane was found during an extended range/trimix class. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the class was done within standards, and Randy was not the instructor.

Secondly, if you haven't dove with him, how on earth would you know how safe he is? You don't. I've been on his boat many times and it's an incredibly safety conscious crew.

I have dove with him. That's why I say he's dangerous. (First time I didn't know better, second time he had changed operations and I didn't realize I was booked on his boat until it was too late. Yeah, I could have aborted the dives, but every diver is responsible for their own safety, and by then I knew how to be safe despite a careless DM.)

If you say his first concern is safety (or even second or third) then you have an agenda to promote the guy. And I know many others who share the opinion, just not the gorillas of Scuba Board who think that loud voices are more knowledgeable. I think I'm safe in saying that despite his loyal followers, you'd find a greater population who knows to steer clear of the guy, but that will never be reflected in any blog. Yeah, yeah, I can never prove it and blah,blah blah..., and I don't care... I know what I know and think it's important enough to share. Gee, why do you think the FWC & Sheriffs office investigated the guy? Where there's smoke there's fire. Even if you think you know better, you don't break the law!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom