Dive boots...absorbing the smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven Kowalski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, before I get started on this one I have to point out that my feet don't smell......they get washed regularly!!

I have a pair of 5mm Immersion boots-not even six months old yet. Recently I've found that after I rinse them and leave them to dry-they stink the room out! Ergo the boots themselves smell. Is there anything I can do to wash them or otherwise (I've only been rinsing them in fresh water so far).

I just leave them in the garage now-but I thought I'd ask the question...and face the slaggin' too! :shocked2:

I soak my boots and wetsuits in a baking soda/water solution. I sprinkle dry baking soda in dry boots for storage. Cheap and effective.

Ther is a product for the scuba industry called sink the stink. Typically used for folks that mistake a wet suit for a latrine. It's a germacidal of sorts.
If it's the neoprene that smelling the place up and not the result of body oils, I'm not sure if it will help. Worth a try I suppose.
I have had to throw boots out that I just couldn't get clean smelling. I don't have foot odor problems either. I am an instructor and one season (year) I was in them every single weekend from Easter till November first. I figured it was just ground in body oil. I soaked them in various McNett products for days at a time. The thing that worked was the garbage can. I bought new boots.
I'm curious if you got in there with a bottle brush and scrubbed if that would help.
I also found that the hangers they sell for putting gloves, boots and hood on did not allow the boots to dry well. Even after 4 days they were still wet up inside. Great mildew forming environment.
I ended up wrapping some 3/32 stainless steel TIG welding rod around a shaft to make a spring. I insert the spring into the boot to hold it open and then lay it on it's side , zipper down, and then it would dry thoroughly. Not sure why, maybe just better air circulation. The spring is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. There are probably other things that will work too. Maybe a piece of plastic about the size of an index card with rounded corners just pushed in there.

Good luck,
Randy

I haven't tried the baking soda method. Sounds like it might work.

To kill truly hideous aromas emanating from your booties, you might want to try a product called "Sink the Stink." It's sold in small packets at most scuba stores.

I have used dilute vinegar followed by a thorough fresh water rinsing with success.

If the booties aren't too stinky, a rinse with mild soap, like Woolite, is certainly worth a shot.

I think the key is not to let them get so stinky in the first place...which means rinsing in fresh water post-dive and then allowing the booties to air dry completely before placing them in storage. It's understandable that not all climates might allow this. Part of me wonders whether blowing air inside the bootie (using a custom-made fan and some PVC pipe) might be helpful.

Good luck!

Stop peeing in your wetsuit. Worked for me!:D

Ha, ha Wookie!! I try and avoid lettin' it go in my wet suit. Many thanks for the reponses though guys-I'm going to try the home made remedy (baking soda) and, as needs be-move on to the sink the stink product. I'll let you know how I get on!

I found that MiraZyme works well too -- just use a capful in a sink full of warm water - dip them in, and let them air dry ... seems to kill it off.

A regular household fan set so it's blowing over the opening has always dried boots/shoes/ski boots in one night for me. It might help. I think minimizing time spent wet is pretty important. Even clean laundry gets smelly if you fall asleep and forget to put it in the dryer until morning.

I've used MiraZyme and the Wet Suit & Dry Suit Shampoo from McNett.Both work well.

Stop peeing in your wetsuit. Worked for me!:D

Usually, it's worse for those who tuck their wetsuit into their boots. It's like pouring it right into your booties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom