Dive boots...absorbing the smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a lot, so my gear doesn't get much of a chance to dry out completely. When I know it's going to be a week or more before my next dive, however, I soak everything in a tub of water with baby shampoo for a couple hours. Rinse, then hang to dry. Place booties upside down over a pvc pipe or something similar so the insides can dry out faster.

I like the idea of baking soda, though. I've never thought of that.

+1 for Mirazyme and Sink the Stink. They both work with Enzymes that "eat" any organic matter. Works very well for me. I usually fill the boots with the solution and let them sit for at least an hour, dump it all out and let them air dry, making sure the opening is clear. No problems with stink.

This stuff works. Its inexpensive, and effective:

03500053020_220x220_a.jpg

Seriously... I'm not kidding.

If I have to pee in my wetsuit I immediately rinse the inside of my wetsuit and boots when I get out of the water. At home I soak my gear in a dilute mixture of Simple Green. I have never had a problem with smell.

Hi,

I have experienced the same thing. Two things to consider:

1. Dry your boots as thoroughly as possible. Personally I try to leave them outside on a hot, sunny day in direct sunlight - sure it shortens their lifespan, but it makes my life more pleasant; and
2. Try a disinfectant. Personally I use Dettol, which is an antiseptic liquid disinfectant (also called parachlorometaxylenol, or PCMX). Dettol has a low toxicity and low metal corrosivity, it is also relatively cheap compared to other disinfectants. You should avoid corrosive disinfectants such as bleach. As an aside, Dettol is recommended to get rid of the smell that builds up in the "bag" part of the bagpipes - it does the job, and doesn't ruin the bag (which is made of sheep skin).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom