Dive boots...absorbing the smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A trick I learned from my dive buddies....

When we get home from a day of diving, put the wetsuits, dive skins, booties, gloves, etc. in the washing machine with a little detergent and a cup or two of baking soda. Wash on delicate, then hang to dry once it is is done.

I use Woolite or Fabuloso to rinse my wetsuit stuff.

If the boots still have a funk, a cap full of cheap mouthwash sloshed around inside and a second rinse solves the problem.

I used to have the same problem with my boots getting an odor to them. But, when I bought my new pair last spring I also got a pair of lycra 'fin socks' to wear with them. 70+ dives last year and only had to rinse the boots out with some clean water, no smells at all. The socks just go in the wash and they're good as new. The socks are cheap, about $4/pair, and they do the trick for me. They also make it easier to slide your feet into a wetsuit.

I soak my boots and wetsuits in a baking soda/water solution. I sprinkle dry baking soda in dry boots for storage. Cheap and effective.

I tried this out Keyshunter-didn't leave any baking soda in the boots for storage (I forgot). Overall it worked well, will keep using this method. Thanks! :wink:

a few drops of bleach in a quart or two of water, soak a minute or two and rinse. Very effective anti-microbial.

I dry my boots on the legs of a chair. Just turn it over where the legs are sticking up and slide the boots over the legs. I have found that boots dry overnight in a motel room and are ready in the morning for another day of diving.

I have no problem with odor by making sure the boots are dry before storing them.

Here's a trick that's worked well for me: cut the bottoms out of some Solo plastic "Keg Cups" and slide them into the openings of your bootd and gloves. The cups hold them open and allow air to circulate. Plus, now you've got extra cups that need to filled while you're waiting for your boots to dry!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom