Dive boots...absorbing the smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I soak mine in a Listerine/water solution for a couple of hours then sun dry on the arms of a chair. If storing for a bit, I shake baking soda inside...or used to until they pretty much stopped selling baking soda in Ecuador because someone somewhere uses it to make bombs or something.

Why on earth doesn't the booty exist that you can flip inside out to really dry well?

If sink the stink or similar products aren't working well, it's usually because too much water was added and or the item was rinsed after treated. This works well for the urine smell. Body oils are done in by a little woolite or similar product, even baby shampoo will do. This is then rinsed and dried as usual. Finding a way to really dry the inside of the boot well is the real problem.

4 days of soaking the boots in vinegar and baking soda, and then into the washing machine for a rinse, fixed the smell for me! Thanks for the suggestion.

Takes a little doing but I can turn my boots inside out to dry. Once back to normal if any stink remains a Q-tip or cotton ball soaked in tea-tree oil and left in the boot works wonders.

OK, before I get started on this one I have to point out that my feet don't smell......they get washed regularly!!

I have a pair of 5mm Immersion boots-not even six months old yet. Recently I've found that after I rinse them and leave them to dry-they stink the room out! Ergo the boots themselves smell. Is there anything I can do to wash them or otherwise (I've only been rinsing them in fresh water so far).

I just leave them in the garage now-but I thought I'd ask the question...and face the slaggin' too! :shocked2:

My wife sprays my hockey gear with a 50/50 vodka/water mix. It works wonders! Not sure if that'll help with dive gear... bacteria are bacteria, right?

Dettol.. Yuck! Vodka? What a waste! I usually use a stink the sink type product then leave them to dry in the sun on their sides. I do wash them every day though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think sink the stink stinks. Going to try the vinegar and baking soda.

Dettol.. Yuck! Vodka? What a waste! I usually use a stink the sink type product then leave them to dry in the sun on their sides. I do wash them every day though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess it is not advisable to leave a neoprene boot to dry at direct sun.
Not only it will discolour, but also, as boots are normally black, it will overheat. All this will shorten the boot life.

Back
Top Bottom