DIVE BRITISH COLUMBIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

some time ago I inquired about diving in the Vancouver area as well as I'm also planning a trip out there for the end of January. I'm excited to see so much more information on diving in the area! :)

I browsed through some websites that people gave me here. If my budget allows me, I'd LOVE to dive in Nanaimo but I noticed that some dive schools require people to have Open Water Advanced certification PLUS a minimum of 30 logged dives.

I was wondering why there is this requirement? I wonder whether the dive locations at Vancouver Island are difficult? Is that requirement of 30 logged dives plus AOW because of the tides at some places, strong currents or deep wreck diving, etc?

Which dive spots are more difficult and which aren't?

The first requirement of an Advanced OW certification is no problem for me, but I haven't made 30 dives but around 20. I haven't been diving for a while either and I was thinking of making a relaxed start, not too much of a current and preferably not too deep. I just want to relax and have an enjoyable dive. Does anyone have suggestions of which dive locations at Vancouver island are "easy" and which aren't....?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Watersprite

Hi Watersprite ...

The reason some require a certain amount of training and experience is due to the type of diving they offer. The two ships sitting on the bottom off of Snake Island (Nanaimo) are quite deep ... 120 fsw for the Sasketchewan and 140 for the Cape Breton. These are not dives that are suitable for BOW divers with little experience. Likewise, Snake Island Wall requires excellent buoyancy skills ... the bottom is several hundred feet down, and the overhang goes to roughly 240 fsw before there's anything you can grab onto to arrest yourself if you're sinking.

Further north, in Campbell River/Quadra Island, you'll be dealing with a lot of current. The diving's incredible, but you've got to be comfortable doing drift diving ... and it helps to know how to respond to upwellings and downwellings because they're quite common along the walls. This takes training and practice to be able to dive here safely.

There are other places on V.I. that are less challenging and yet offer some awesome diving. One of my favorites is Barkley Sound ... which is more protected from currents. This is mostly pinnacle diving, where you can choose just about any profile you like. But you still have to be comfortable doing an open-water ascent and safety-stop ... because what will you do if you need to ascend from 40 fsw and cannot find the anchor line?

V.I. does offer some shore diving ... but the dives that attract most of us to the island are boat dives. You have to have the training and experience to do these dives safely.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

diverdeb001:
I'm considering a trip to Vancouver in June. Would I need my dry suit?? debbie

Yes. The water temp is relatively stable year around, so it's still cold even in June.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply and your description of several dive locations at V.I.! That really helps to make up my mind about where I want to go diving!

I understand that dive schools have requirements when the dives require more experience & training. Personally I wouldn’t even want to go on dives that are more difficult if I haven’t done any diving for quite a while. I don’t think it would be much fun if you have to work too hard to keep up with your buddy and when you’re too busy with your skills!

I have trained for current dives but that exercise has been a while too. Deep diving shouldn’t be too much of a problem I think. It’s more the current dive that I don’t really fancy at the moment (I’m a lazy girl haha&#8230:wink:. I’ll work on my buoyancy and learn to dive in a dry suit in a pool soon so I guess that will be alright then too.

I guess I will go for a more relaxed and probably less challenged dive! It would be the first time I dive there, so I guess I’ll still have plenty of amazing stuff to look at! It sounds like the other more challenging dives are good reasons to come back to Vancouver Island another time! :banana:

Watersprite

Some things I forgot to mention ... there's plenty of less challenging diving in Nanaimo, should you decide to dive there. Ask about trips to ...

Clark Rock (a pinnacle that bottoms out at about 70 fsw) ... it's not one of my favorite dives up there, but a good place to see and possibly interact with wolf eels.

Jesse Island ... this is one of my favorite dives. Go to one side of the island or the other. The more westward side (where the dock is) has some really interesting terrain with swim-thrus and overhangs. The more eastward side has ledges and kelp ... and generally a better chance for seeing interesting critters. Avoid the middle, as it's mostly just sand bottom and not terribly interesting unless you like looking at anemones and little else. There's no need to exceed 70 fsw here, as the most interesting structure is all above that depth.

Snake Island ... if you want to avoid the wall you can go play in the shallows on the south side with harbor seals and sea lions. Although the wall is the main attraction at Snake Island, there's plenty to see in the area between the top of the wall and the island ... max'ing at around 50 fsw ... including octopus, many species of nudibranchs, and the ubiquitous schools of fish that are the major reason there's so many seals and sea lions hanging about.

They are also due to be sinking a rather large tug somewhere near the entrance to the harbor in 40-70 fsw sometime this spring.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

watersprite:
Look forward to going to Canada! :)

Me too ... I'm heading back up to Nanaimo in just a few days ... and will be going back to Barkley Sound in early May ... :bogey:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob,

So you're not above sea level in Canada yet? All this time I've been under the impression that you were in Canada! :moose: Well, have a great time in Canada then and merry Christmas!

I'll let you guys know when I'm in the area... I might need a buddy to dive with! :icon82: When I read all your enthusiastic posts here about diving at Vancouver Island, I'm not too afraid there's no one diving there, even in very cold January!

Talk to you all later!

watersprite :xmas:

I live in Victoria and have virtually all my dives in and around Victoria and the southern part of Vancouver Island. I'd be more than willing to share dive site info with anyone who's planning a trip out this way...

NavyDoll

Dove today with 2" of snow on the ground... :p

watersprite:
Hey Bob,

So you're not above sea level in Canada yet? All this time I've been under the impression that you were in Canada! :moose: Well, have a great time in Canada then and merry Christmas!

I'll let you guys know when I'm in the area... I might need a buddy to dive with! :icon82: When I read all your enthusiastic posts here about diving at Vancouver Island, I'm not too afraid there's no one diving there, even in very cold January!

Talk to you all later!

watersprite :xmas:

LOL - actually I live "south of the border" ... near Seattle. Vancouver Island is about five hours away (three hours driving, two hours on a ferry) to get to Nanaimo. Victoria is a bit closer (the ferry ride is shorter).

Nanaimo was wonderful ... I did four dives in two days, mostly in a blowing snowstorm. Of course, once below sea level it really didn't matter. Vis was 50-60 feet, and the water temperature varied from 39 F to 44 F, depending on depth and dive site. On one dive (Snake Island) we went to 119 feet to go underneath an overhang on a wall that plunges to a depth of more than 600 feet ... then came back up and spent a wondrous 13 minute safety stop playing with harbor seals (very curious and friendly critters). On another dive we went to almost 130 feet to swim underneath a 365-foot ship and come up on the other side. Our other two dives were at Jesse Island, swimming through sandstone hoodoos sculpted by currents into shapes that would have impressed Salvador Dali.

There's a reason why Jacques Cousteau called Van Isle one of the world's best dive locations ... many reasons, actually. There are ALWAYS people diving on Vancouver Island, even in January. The diving's just too good to let it go to waste.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom