DIVE BRITISH COLUMBIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdeb001...glad you asked.

There are some outstanding shore dives around Vancouver. Most of them are in North or West Vancouver (the North Shore) and along the road up towards Squamish (Whistler).

A few choice selections would be Whitecliff Park near the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal...a nice sheltered cove in the middle with some cool wall dives on either side...the bottom quickly drops away into the abyss and the harbor seals often show-up to play in your light beams. Another fun dive is the divers park at Porteau Cove...several sunken boats and tire reefs, steel jungle gyms etc. Most are in about 60 feet of water but the Nakaya bottoms out at around 100 feet. One more fun dive is the wreck of the VT100 in Bedwell Bay. This dive is great for several reasons. The vis sucks so you get to test your navagational skills, the boat traffic can be heavy so you get to test your gas management skills but you get to dive on a "real" wreck covered in life and...you can go crabbing too!

Dodd Narrows and Gabriola Passage are my favorite dives in Nanaimo. Dodds is rated #2 in B.C. We take almost every group to Dodds if they are advanced enough. Of course everyone also likes the wrecks at Snake Island. The Saskatchewan has an unbelievable amount of life on it. Check out www.divingbccanada.com

Looks good ... I haven't been to Dodd Narrows yet, so I'll have to check y'all out.

I notice Jesse Island isn't on your list. Too bad ... it's one of my favorite places to dive up there. The underwater topography on the end of the island near the pier is downright otherworldly (reminds me of Arches National Park underwater). On the other hand, I can't understand the attraction to Clark Rocks ... other than the wolf eels, it's a pretty boring dive (IMO). There's way too many other, more exciting dive sites up there I'd rather go to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kadrian:
Dodd Narrows and Gabriola Passage are my favorite dives in Nanaimo. Dodds is rated #2 in B.C. We take almost every group to Dodds if they are advanced enough. Of course everyone also likes the wrecks at Snake Island. The Saskatchewan has an unbelievable amount of life on it. Check out www.divingbccanada.com

I was out diving in NANIAMO and it was amazing so amazing i am moving out there in February I have had enough of these -50 temp in Saskatchewan .I look forward to hooking up with the locals to get some dives in once i get the the family settled in drop me a email gotair@shaw.ca.I will be out there on Feb 2 to feb 8th looking for a house then back again on the the feb 15 to start work......................

Jesse Island is a good dive I haven’t got to it on my web page because I don’t have any photos yet. I also agree with you about Clarke Rock it is just a pile of rocks in the middle of nowhere the only thing it has going for it is you can almost be guaranteed to see Wolf Eels. Drift Diving is my thing. I was at the underwater weekend at the Vancouver Aquarium and I met a fellow from Victoria and he told me a story about Dodd Narrows. They dive it at 6 knots plus two guys in the boat and two in the water they go straight down to 85 feet and just rocket thru the Narrows dive is ten minutes and then they climb in the boat and do it again. After two or three runes the other two go. A buddy and myself are going to try it next week we will start out at three knots and then four until we see how it goes. I will post a report (I hope).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom