Dive comp opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, and you might already have a watch. But if not you're looking at spending ~$100 no matter what, actual cost of a DC is what you pay on top of that.

I look at things a bit differently. One way of saving money on scuba is to purchase your second set of gear first. The OP knows he wants a Petrel 2, but cannot afford it at the present time. If he purchases a $250 computer and later resells it for $100, he loses $150. If he buys a depth gauge for $50 and resells it for $25, he loses $25. Of course, the losses depend on the difference between the purchase and sales price but you can see what I mean. My point of view is to minimize the loss before he purchases the Petrel.

I don't see the point of buying a stop gap alternative because soon or later it will be replaced by something you really wanted in the first place.
Borrow some money and buy the Petrel 2. BTW, I don't own one myself.

I don't see the point of buying a stop gap alternative because soon or later it will be replaced by something you really wanted in the first place.
Borrow some money and buy the Petrel 2. BTW, I don't own one myself.

The OP is just starting out so he needs to by everything at once. Also he is in New Jersey. so local diving really requires a dry suit unless he wants to stay shallow and only dive in the summer. Once every thing is added up he is probably looking at a few thousand dollars which is hard to explain to a non-diving spouse.

I look at things a bit differently. One way of saving money on scuba is to purchase your second set of gear first. The OP knows he wants a Petrel 2, but cannot afford it at the present time. If he purchases a $250 computer and later resells it for $100, he loses $150. If he buys a depth gauge for $50 and resells it for $25, he loses $25. Of course, the losses depend on the difference between the purchase and sales price but you can see what I mean. My point of view is to minimize the loss before he purchases the Petrel.

Good point. My personal experience with electronic devices is zero resale value. Dive computers may not be as bad in that regard, but still... I tend to see a computer purchase as complete write-off: by the time I need an upgrade it won't be worth squat.

The flip side is the bang you get for the buck: as a vacation diver I really appreciate not trying to plan a week of 2-3-4 dive days by RDP. As a new diver I appreciate the ascent rate alarm. And of course the peace of mind from the knowledge that in the very unlikely event I overstay my NDL, the DC will compute the deco schedule for me. The convenience is well worth an extra hundred bucks to me.

Maybe the OP would be happy with a used Petrel and a used. depth gauge. He won't lose $ on buying and reselling a cheap computer. This is a good value in the long run. So says a Predator owner.

The OP is just starting out so he needs to by everything at once. Also he is in New Jersey. so local diving really requires a dry suit unless he wants to stay shallow and only dive in the summer. Once every thing is added up he is probably looking at a few thousand dollars which is hard to explain to a non-diving spouse.
By that time he might realize that he doesn't need anything fancy for diving!!!!
The Oceanic Veo 180(US$200.00) that I bought recently seems fine if the on-line retailer can sort out the "battery" issue eventually.

By that time he might realize that he doesn't need anything fancy for diving!!!!
The Oceanic Veo 180(US$200.00) that I bought recently seems fine if the on-line retailer can sort out the "battery" issue eventually.

Equipment is a person decision. Some people want the best, some people want new, some people want cheap. The best thing is if someone can wait and pick-up the things they want on sale or used.

I look at things a bit differently. One way of saving money on scuba is to purchase your second set of gear first.

As one who is just starting tech training, I am looking at buying a Petrel or H3. But, I see no wasted money in having bought a decent Rec computer already. When I am doing Tech dives, I will still want (and my instructor has directed me to have) a backup computer. The Rec computer I bought has Gauge mode and will be more than adequate as my backup for Tech diving.

There are things, like a BCD, for example, where you don't need a backup, so buying your second one first makes sense. That same logic doesn't necessarily apply to your computer. More like "buy something that will be a good backup to your second computer." I think there are probably several $200-ish computers that qualify as that.

Equipment is a person decision. Some people want the best, some people want new, some people want cheap. The best thing is if someone can wait and pick-up the things they want on sale or used.
Temptation is hard to resist for some people. Buying by impulse usually means waste of money. One of the reason for cheap item to be found on e-Bay!!!
When I first started tec dive back in 1998, tec computer was NOT an option. And I still have no desire to buy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom