Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it can look that way from your view way over there, I presume as a trip provider? You spend what you have to to get what you want, within needed limits - and maybe some more to get more. Once one gets to Coz tho, why spend more on one than another who provides what you want for less? Most of us whom you might view as cheap will spend & tip, but not freely - we just need to know what we're getting.

I don't have the slightest idea what this post is about. I lived in Basel for two years. I'm now back in the US with a primary residence in Philadelphia and a home in SE FL. I stand by what I said, why nickel and dime the operators in Cozumel to save a small amount of money for the entire trip while sacrificing other advantages. I love Cozumel, but it sure seems to be the miser's paradise. We all have our requirements, perhaps some of mine are higher

Best of luck to everyone diving in Cozumel,

Craig

You aren't reading them right. LU's price includes the 16% tax. Aldora's and 3P's prices do not include tax. Using an apples to apples price comparison, the respective prices are LU: $100; Aldora: $108 and 3P: $86.

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't see that Aldora's $100 price included tax.

t
I can't believe the cheapskates that dive in Cozumel. You spend a bundle on airfare, lodging, and then nickel and dime the dive ops. Go figure

I watch every nickel and dime I can - so I can dive more and have more discretionary cash on vaca. Why fly 1st class when I can tolerate a seat in coach for a few hours? Why stay at a land-based A.I. cruise ship like the Palace for 1 week when I can stay at the Casa for 3 weeks? The Casa Mexicana offers everything I want at a fraction of the price and I actually get to spend my money at local restaurants around town instead of bellying up to yet another buffet or bar with 500 of my closest American friends.

As far as diving is concerned, quite the opposite is true... Frugal divers almost always tip more than those picked up at the AI's because they have more discretionary money to spend on their vaca and are usually diving almost every day.

If you've ever been on an Aqua Safari boat that serves that Cozumel Palace (probably the most expensive resort on the island) you'll see 80%+ of the divers exit the boats without leaving a tip! Why, because despite the signs the crews have plastered everywhere that read "TIPS APPRECIATED!" those Palace people just refuse to tip. Perhaps it is because they plan to dive one day during their trip, rent a dune buggy the next, swim with captive dolphins, tour the ruins, go for a parasail, rent a wave runner, and then grab an hour-long massage on their last day. They'll never see the crew and DM's again so what do they care? Off they hop pretending that because it's an AI there's no need to tip anyone anywhere anytime (except perhaps the bar-tender when they are looking for stronger drinks delivered faster). Without a doubt, the Cozumel Palace houses some of the rudest, most selfish, self-centered, all-about-me reef-destroying arses I've ever seen. How much jewelry can one possibly wear diving? If you see a Palace diver it's surprising they need any lead at all to get down! I did get a kick telling one couple they may want to leave that jewelry with the captain because all a barracuda is going to see is a bunch of shinny lures flickering everywhere. I got the look I expected and watched them spend the next 2-3 minutes trying to remove all of it! Yup - lots of money for jewelry on the boat but no money for tips!

Obviously I have my issues with the Palace and the type of divers who stay there. That's not to say there aren't some great people and divers who stay there... they just seem to be in the vast minority from my personal experience. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
We just returned from Cozumel yesterday. ScubaLife Cozumel Scuba Life Cozumel | Cozumel Diving, Dive Packages & Snorkeling is by far the best diving experience we've had in the many years we been diving the reefs of this beautiful island. They specialize in working with the experience of the divers. Always 2 dive masters on the boat, only 8 divers per trip. I'm good on air, my husband comes up early. With JP & Carlos (the owners and dive masters) it is always safe for us to dive our own tank. If you want adventure they'll take you on deep or cave dives. Want shallow beauty? They ask the group before each dive so you can have the experience you want. They take care of all your gear so you bring it your first day & take it with you (freshly washed) your last. They even brought a cake onboard to celebrate our wedding anniversary! I really, really, recommend diving with them.

We love ScubaLife Cozumel as well. We've only dove with a few other Dive OP's in Coz but don't intend on going anywhere else after diving with ScubaLife. Not only one of the coolest boats on the water but the guys are just great; personable, professional and a ton of fun! I am conflicted on cheer leading for them because of selfish reasons, they only have one boat and I want to make sure they aren't booked when I want to use them.

I can't believe the cheapskates that dive in Cozumel. You spend a bundle on airfare, lodging, and then nickel and dime the dive ops. Go figure
I'm not sure who or what you are talking about, specifically, but we all have our budget concerns, at least those of us do who aren't independently wealthy. Personally, I fly as cheaply as I can, I stay in a reasonably priced hotel, I eat sandwiches in the room for lunch every day, and I don't pay for amenities that I don't want or need.

I start saving up for my next Cozumel vacation the day I get back. Some years I am "fatter" than in others, depending on how my career is treating me, but I will never be someone to whom money is no object.

YMMV, of course.

I'm not sure who or what you are talking about, specifically, but we all have our budget concerns, at least those of us do who aren't independently wealthy. Personally, I fly as cheaply as I can, I stay in a reasonably priced hotel, I eat sandwiches in the room for lunch every day, and I don't pay for amenities that I don't want or need.

I start saving up for my next Cozumel vacation the day I get back. Some years I am "fatter" than in others, depending on how my career is treating me, but I will never be someone to whom money is no object.

YMMV, of course.

Not my point at all. Once you're in Cozumel, diving is the point. So save 5, 10, 15 dollars a day. Get yourself an AL80, a big, slow boat, bigger dive groups with less flexibility. This reasonably small expense for the main reason you're in Cozumel often seems blown out of proportion. Personally, I'll make the investment in the best diving I can find. This is a small cost compared to the total cost of the trip, why be stingy?

So . Personally, I'll make the investment in the best diving I can find. This is a small cost compared to the total cost of the trip, why be stingy?

And just how do you do that? Pick the op with the highest price? If my notes & memory are correct I've used 17 different ops over the years & in reality all but 1 gave me a great experience for what I paid. How exactly would you pick an op that might meet your needs using this forum?

That was good Brules!

From what I can tell (and getting back to the subject at hand for these poor folks who started this tread seeking our recommendations and have been subjected to all of our insanity)... Here is the list of Dive Ops in alphabetical order that have been mentioned:

Aldora
Blue Angel
Blue Magic
Blue XT Sea
Bottom Time Divers
Dive with Allison
Dive with Martin
Liquid Blue
Living Underwater
Tres Pelicanos

Now we can finally all agree this list represents the "TOP 10" in Cozumel. Good Lord what am I thinking as that will start another flurry of who's been left out and should have been be included. I say "YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE" and this is the TOP 10 as determined by this thread.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom