Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will never make it into the true top 'My Op is better than your Op' hall of fame unless we drag the question of 'which op will handle wetsuits' into it.:yeahbaby::stirpot:

It will never make it into the true top 'My Op is better than your Op' hall of fame unless we drag the question of 'which op will handle wetsuits' into it.:yeahbaby::stirpot:

OH BOY... Here we go again! We'll let others respond to that. I know I don't like hauling and rinsing my wife's and my wetsuits, hoods and booties and, I don't have to.

Last edited:
I don't need my wetsuit handled. It stays at home. Scuba Tony could make that list you made up too, but so could several other ops I hear great things about but haven't used myself.

Not my point at all. Once you're in Cozumel, diving is the point. So save 5, 10, 15 dollars a day. Get yourself an AL80, a big, slow boat, bigger dive groups with less flexibility. This reasonably small expense for the main reason you're in Cozumel often seems blown out of proportion. Personally, I'll make the investment in the best diving I can find. This is a small cost compared to the total cost of the trip, why be stingy?
Actually, when I get to Cozumel, diving is A point but not THE point. Where and what I eat is a point, where I stay is a point, deep sea fishing is a point, how I get around is a point... and they all cost money. I look for the best value, not necessarily the lowest price (which is not at all the same thing) in all of them. I don't dive with the most expensive dive ops on the island because, in part, the amenities they offer (and charge for) are not worth the expense to me. I'm not sacrificing something I want to do for the sake of saving money, and I don't think anyone else in here is, either.

scubadada said: "So . Personally, I'll make the investment in the best diving I can find."

And just how do you do that?

By setting criteria.

For me, and perhaps some others, it would be by looking for a dive op that offers:

1. small dive groups
2. good dive op site selection (a little out of the way/fuel costs not being a problem)
3. comparable diver skill sets of the group as a whole (that's where a higher price helps)
4. long dives (that's where diving with an exerienced group helps)
5. good boats

Others may like more, as in:

6. nice snacks
7. fast boats
8. DM's that point out of a lot
9. having your gear handled for you
10. hotel shuttling

etc.

Last edited:
scubadada said: "So . Personally, I'll make the investment in the best diving I can find."

By setting criteria.

For me, and perhaps some others, it would be by looking for a dive op that offers:

1. small dive groups
2. good dive op site selection (a little out of the way/fuel costs not being a problem)
3. comparable diver skill sets of the group as a whole (that's where a higher price helps)
4. long dives (that's where diving with an exerienced group helps)
5. good boats

Others may like more, as in:

6. nice snacks
7. fast boats
8. DM's that point out of a lot
9. having your gear handled for you
10. hotel shuttling

etc.

I get all of those things with Tres Pelicanos at a price that is probably right down near the bottom of the scale for Coz. So I guess I would have to disagree with you bracketed point on number 3......it may be generally true, but not universally.

# 10 is about the only thing on that list some of my preferred ops might not supply. Everything else on your list is readily available from all the better ops at varying prices.

Edited to add. Staying north of town will most likely have a very negative effect to # 10. Very few ops pick up either by boat or vehicle at the northern hotel zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMM
# 10 is about the only thing on that list some of my preferred ops might not supply. Everything else on your list is readily available from all the better ops at varying prices.

Edited to add. Staying north of town will most likely have a very negative effect to # 10. Very few ops pick up either by boat or vehicle at the northern hotel zone.
Agree, there are a ton of ops that will get you 1-9. In town pick up is a big deal for me, since I live downtown and don't own a car. When I was younger, I used to ride my bike to the caleta, but I'm too old for that crap now. :giggle:

I know I don't like hauling and rinsing my wife's and my wetsuits, hoods and booties and, I don't have to.
So you like wearing wetsuits, hoods, and booties that were rinsed in the same pissy water as the others, huh? I'll wash my own, thanks.

So you like wearing wetsuits, hoods, and booties that were rinsed in the same pissy water as the others, huh? I'll wash my own, thanks.

Yes, I do. I will never, never dive with an op who does not wash, rinse, and dry my stuff again. Never. The amount of sterile urine remaining in a wetsuit is to me, insignificant. Never.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom