Dive computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deepdelve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was looking into a new dive computer and recently came across an old Uwatec Aladin and a transmitter for a fairly good price(or what I think to be a good price). The only down side is that it will need a battery. I have already talked with my lds and they said it would need to be sent off to sp to have it replaced. With this in mind the bill could reach in excess of $150 after calibration and battery replacement. Being that it is an old computer though, is it really worth my time and effort? Also how much are these computers still worth?

First post so go easy.

Woohoo! First comment to your first post!

A while back I got a Suunto D6 overhauled for $200. I guess it just depends how much you are willing to spend for an old computer. I dont know how much you can buy it for but assuming around $200-300 for the Aladin plus servicing, that's like $350-$450. If I was in your position, I would pass and put the money towards a newer computer.

When I do recreational diving, my main computer is an Oceanic OCS. I did a lot of research on computers and I liked the features Oceanic had to offer on their models for a reasonable price. I can easily change the battery myself which is very nice, they have dual algorithms with adjustable conservative factors, nitrox and accommodate multiple gasses.

My advice to you would be: find a computer that fits your type of diving and find the best one that fits your budget. I would splurge more in a dive computer as it is a very important piece of safety equipment. Hope this helps, welcome to Scuba Board!

One of my main reasons for looking into this computer is simply because of the transmitter. I am at the point where the gauge console is starting to become more and more of something I want to get rid of. Gets caught on things every once in a while and a lot of the people I dive with have made the jump to newer computers.

Honestly, right now I can't justify an $1100 computer, but then again I know you get what you pay for. Any thoughts on a computer, even used, that might suit what I am looking for. I have been using a zoop, so no transmitter capabilities.

Batteries for these types of Uwatecs are very expensive. They were great computers, but probably not worth buying and then having to pay for new battery. Note that there is no servicing possible (or re-calibration) apart from changing the battery compartment o-ring.

I suggest you pass on this one and purchase a computer with user replaceable battery.

Uwatec aladins are rugged reliable workhorses, but battery replacement is an issue.

Some (many, most, all?) models are no longer serviced by scubapro. You did not post the specific model, but I suggest that you double check to get a confirmed guarantee that they can replace your battery. The standard LDS line is always "we will send it in" and sometimes it turns out that scuba pro says no we will not replace the battery. You now have a paperweight.

The very first version of aladin (before 1995 sometime) had a user replaceable battery.

After that, all models had the battery soldered in place, case filled with oil and then glued shut. A few models had too much glue and ended up getting broken when re opened for battery replacement. The factory does not like these.

If you are a DIY type of person, then you can do the battery replacement yourself. The batteries are about $5. I replace my own. But it is messy. Real messy. Search on YouTube and you should be able to find a bunch of videos that demonstrate battery replacement (some are not English).

If your console is getting caught on things get rid of it. Get a simple brass and glass spg on a 24 or 26 inch hose and keep it clipped off. Either to a d ring on your waist or if using a poodle jacket on a shoulder d ring. Not on one of them on the adjustment strap.

I would run away from any computer that you can't change the battery in yourself. In this day and age that is one of the most blatant examples of greed. Changing a battery should never require a trip to a dive shop or the mailbox.

Personally I see more problems with a transmitter. An extra battery to replace, still need a back up spg IMO, and too many reports of lost signals. For me even one time is one time too many.

If you can afford it there is only one computer you will ever need. Shearwater. They just released new firmware for my Predator that I can download and install for free. And it works. Too many other brands seem to release stuff that still has bugs or just plain doesn't work.

+1 for oceanic. I love mine. Vt4. Leisure pro online sometimes has some killer sales... Got it for about 1/2 retail. I have the transmitter but also run a brass and glass spg as backup...clipped away it's nearly invisible.

I wouldn't buy a computer that involved expensive battery replacement. Especially since it's not a one time thing, you're talking about having to send the computer away (probably at an inconvenient time, given Murphy) and dump that money into it every time it needs a new battery. I'd only consider something like this if it were really cheap, and I was going to try to do it myself, and was ok with possibly screwing it up. Some of the batteries that are technically not "user replaceable" can be, if so you can usually find directions on the net someplace - don't know about this one.

Makes more sense to spend the battery replacement money on something else if you must. But the Zoop is a perfectly good rec computer and will do the job for a long time for most folks. Aside from an itch to get rid of the console, is there anything the Zoop doesn't do that you really need? Note that many people decide they still want a backup SPG in case they have a problem with the transmitter, and you may too. What you might try doing first is take the computer and SPG out of the console, put the Zoop in a wrist mount, and use just the SPG (doing something to tie it up of course, or if you have one of the modular Suunto consoles you could use just the one section you need.) Also experiment with how and where you attach things - I use a console, on a retractor (horrors) that hasn't killed me yet, and I never have trouble with it getting caught on things.

As far as you get what you pay for, not necessarily. Sometimes more money partly just gets you a brand, and sometimes it gets you a pile of features it turns out you don't actually care about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom