Dive Computer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I foresee an over-reliance by inexperienced divers and injuries/fatalities, leading to lawsuits, leading to recalls, etc.

Unfortunately, I foresee an over-reliance by inexperienced divers and injuries/fatalities, leading to lawsuits, leading to recalls, etc.

Isn't that what people said when computers first started to replace using tables?

And when hoseless AI started to replace having an SPG?

And (wild guess) when SPGs first started to replace J valves?

And when BCDs first started to replace breath control and very precise weighting for controlling buoyancy?

Isn't that what people said when computers first started to replace using tables?

And when hoseless AI started to replace having an SPG?

And (wild guess) when SPGs first started to replace J valves?

And when BCDs first started to replace breath control and very precise weighting for controlling buoyancy?
Agreed except for the BCD part as it doesn't (or shouldn't) replace those things - used propery, it is just another tool that supplements breath control and weighting to provide even better buoyancy control while also adding to safety.

Agreed except for the BCD part as it doesn't (or shouldn't) replace those things - used propery, it is just another tool that supplements breath control and weighting to provide even better buoyancy control while also adding to safety.

My point was that my dad went his whole diving career diving steel doubles in a wetsuit and with no BCD at all. When BCDs came out, I can easily imagine divers of his era saying that BCDs were going to cause over-reliance by inexperienced divers and injuries/fatalities. Actually, I think there are people still saying that today, on this very discussion board.

I started this way...

Start by deciding if you have a puck sized computer or a watch sized computer.

Go online research, different computers have their data laid out differently on the screens. You want only the info you need to see on the screen.

Look for something user friendly and that you can easily set up your dives on. Some computers have so many submenus and will take a minute to figure out.

Don't worry about whether the computer is too conservative or not. We are taught to stay well within the limits of our dives and not push them.
So having a conservative computer would be a plus.

If you buy online make sure it's from an authorized dealer. You can go on any brand's website, click the link that gives you the list of stores that are authorized dealers

Hope I helped
Eek!

My point was that my dad went his whole diving career diving steel doubles in a wetsuit and with no BCD at all. When BCDs came out, I can easily imagine divers of his era saying that BCDs were going to cause over-reliance by inexperienced divers and injuries/fatalities. Actually, I think there are people still saying that today, on this very discussion board.
Yes - there was an "infamous" thread on that very subject :)

I got me a divesoft freedom.
Mainly bc of the color screen & ability to upgrade software as I go and had the deco algorithm I was looking for.
Works great as intended, no complaints.
I didn't have enough money or patience to save for a Shearwater (which is overkill at this point in my diving anyways)
No regerts

Don't worry about whether the computer is too conservative or not. We are taught to stay well within the limits of our dives and not push them.
So having a conservative computer would be a plus.

What does that exactly mean, to you?

Does it mean, for example, you always start your ascent when your computer counts down to only 5 minutes left of NDL?

Do you use a different rule if you are diving what you think is a liberal computer versus what you think is a conservative computer?

If you always start your ascent with X minutes left of NDL, then doesn't that still mean that a computer that is more liberal will let you enjoy more bottom time? While still following your training by staying well within the limits of your dive?

M8

This is the most useful reply you will ever get in a thread like this.
Get the Puck, this will save you several hundred dollars.

What this guy said.

I have and use a Puck Pro for rec diving, and love it. I have no issues with it, and it does everything you will need.

I will buy a different computer at some point when I buy my own octo setup, and at that time I will want one with an integrated air system. But until that time I will dive my puck pro and be more than happy with it. Its a fantastic cheap first dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom