Dive Computer Alarms: should we even have them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe alerts aren't necessary if you're monitoring your computer properly, but there's no downside to having them. Because sometimes things happen. Humans are fallible, forgetful, and easily distracted. Moreso when you add narcosis.
Exactly. I rarely use my DC and still don't know what the alarm sounds like.

(Thanks for moving the posts to a new thread. At first I was upset to get an alert that my post was deleted, but now very happy to see it was all moved here. Good job mods.)

This whole thing comes down to the manual vs. automatic philosophy. On one side we can argue that OC computer alarms (or eCCRs) are better because humans often fail due to "human factors" - distraction, narcosis, stress, etc. On the other hand, we can argue that machines are unreliable and humans need to constantly monitor them - and features that reduce that monitoring requirement invite complacency that can eventually kill when the machine fails.

I don't really know where the truth is on this, but I tend a little bit more towards automation. I think human factors are the bigger risk. But I could be convinced otherwise. Maybe it depends on the diver.

(Thanks for moving the posts to a new thread. At first I was upset to get an alert that my post was deleted, but now very happy to see it was all moved here. Good job mods.)

This whole thing comes down to the manual vs. automatic philosophy. On one side we can argue that OC computer alarms (or eCCRs) are better because humans often fail due to "human factors" - distraction, narcosis, stress, etc. On the other hand, we can argue that machines are unreliable and humans need to constantly monitor them - and features that reduce that monitoring requirement invite complacency that can eventually kill when the machine fails.

I don't really know where the truth is on this, but I tend a little bit more towards automation. I think human factors are the bigger risk. But I could be convinced otherwise. Maybe it depends on the diver.
Good points. Maybe my reason for using both the DC and analog stuff on deep dives.

Good points. Maybe my reason for using both the DC and analog stuff on deep dives.

For those who read my post about a divers alarm going off, I'm glad he actually had it. We worked out he was in nitrox mode on an air dive as he forgot to change to air on his computer from the previous morning dive. So if he had not exceeded the MOD for nitrox his alarm would not have gone off, he would have been doing longer times to NDL on his next dives not knowing he was exceeding air NDL limits with his newly purchased dive computer. Alarms for the less experienced can be a good thing.

By the way the threads are really mostly pretty nice and polite here... I started a post on scuba uncensored FB page about how people should move to modern technology with digital SPG... the replies are hilarious. One chap wrote I was putting other divers lives in danger by using a battery powered SPG which has less failure points than an analogue SPG. How he came to that conclusion defies logic. I get divers telling me to go back to my analogue SPG but at the same time post what battery powered dive computer they use on dives.

I’m going to ask the question - why are the alarms even necessary?
For me, they have no function. There's no way I'm going to hear that electronic beeping through 10mm of tight-fitting neoprene.

It's pretty simple in concept. Alarms become a problem if their presence decreases either the frequency of direct checks of the computer or the attention the diver pays to the information displayed.

Of course, no one is going to admit they wait for the beeps or buzzes to start monitoring their computer. But can you really be sure it doesn't have a subconscious effect? Maybe just a bit of, "I can wait until I get that shot to take a look at my depth or NDL time. I know it's been a while, but I think I'm fine and it will tell me anyway if there's a problem."

I’m going to ask the question - why are the alarms even necessary?

OK, let's hear some of them. Are they all scenarios that involve a lack of situational awareness

I can give you both, multiple reasons

1. Currents (obv something Maries doesn't come into contact with)

Ascent alarms can give you the first indication of an upwelling that you might not "see" especially when you can't see the bottom

In a downcurrent washing machine - your spatial awareness can be temporarily disabled - ascent alarms give you an indication of travel

Coming off a reef (in current) - and needing to shoot your dsmb pronto. Ascent alarms can be of value

In proper current when it's all going a bit south you are somewhat task/bandwidth loaded staring at yoru computer might be low on the list of immediate priorities

For reference I probably engage in 10 or so significant down currents per year at least once a year it's heart thumping event.

2 Training and rescue

More than once I (as a Guide/instructor) have had to take control of divers on their ascent - my hands are full, so ascent alarm provides immediate feedback while I'm engaged in other more pressing issues

Similarly on Rescue courses, when I'm the victim - if my alarm goes off on the ascent, the student is briefed to stop and restart (on the deeper exercises)

So that's a couple of real world example without even thinking of it

I can give you both, multiple reasons

1. Currents (obv something Maries doesn't come into contact with)

Ascent alarms can give you the first indication of an upwelling that you might not "see" especially when you can't see the bottom

In a downcurrent washing machine - your spatial awareness can be temporarily disabled - ascent alarms give you an indication of travel

Coming off a reef (in current) - and needing to shoot your dsmb pronto. Ascent alarms can be of value

In proper current when it's all going a bit south you are somewhat task/bandwidth loaded staring at yoru computer might be low on the list of immediate priorities

For reference I probably engage in 10 or so significant down currents per year at least once a year it's heart thumping event.

OK, will take your word for it that you can have a significant change in depth and not be aware of it. Although the fact that you describe these downcurrents as a "heart thumping event" suggests to me that you don't need your dive computer to beep to tell you that it's happening.

2 Training and rescue

More than once I (as a Guide/instructor) have had to take control of divers on their ascent - my hands are full, so ascent alarm provides immediate feedback while I'm engaged in other more pressing issues

Similarly on Rescue courses, when I'm the victim - if my alarm goes off on the ascent, the student is briefed to stop and restart (on the deeper exercises)

So that's a couple of real world example without even thinking of it

OK, so again, I'll believe you if you say that you can have ascent rate violations without being aware of them... I don't teach, so I defer to your experience.

For me, they have no function. There's no way I'm going to hear that electronic beeping through 10mm of tight-fitting neoprene.

This thread was split off from one by a hearing impaired diver asking about tactile alarms.

This thread was split off from one by a hearing impaired diver asking about tactile alarms.
Yes, and as I read the post I was replying to, it was more of a general question about computer alarms.

And the title of the split-off thread I replied in is "Dive Computer Alarms", not "Tactile dive computer alarms".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom