Dive computer battery and o-ring spec's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doyenofcastle,

Its difficult to get an accurate measurement of an o-ring that has been in use for a while. If you're measuring the old o-ring you may have problems. I suggest measuring the diameter of the groove the seal fits in to get the outside diameter of the o-ring. Then find a couple of charts (here is one: O-ring Sizing Chart ) and determine the inside diameter by subtracting 2 times the cross section. Then, plug the figures into a calculator (such as here: Advanced Search On Precision Associates, Inc. ) and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Couv

thanks for the valuable information and good jobs of all of you ,I'm trying to find the O ring sizes of the following Watches AERIS F10 ,SUNTO D4/6 ,Atmos XR1and 1 ,attached the photo of the F10 O ring and I don't know it's 1.18 or 1.2 with 27 mm ID can you help me ?
CR2430/2450 cover all of the watches

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20954ll2t1ebyaa/2014-05-29 02.44.29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvg6j2bc9g3zb0e/2014-05-29 01.42.34.jpg

Last edited:
I've read through all pages and have been unable to find out the o-ring size for a Mares Puck computer. Last time I changed the battery I just put the cap back on with the original o-ring. Would be nice to replace it.
Thanks for any info

Old thread, newbie followup questions..

Found a web site: O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy! that seems to have a wide selection of o-rings in various materials and
sizes. $5 shipping for reasonable sized orders (free for $150..)

Now, question is what durometer rating? It seems that HP o-rings and tank valves want 90 and everything else wants 70?
(Everything else, I think, involves computer seals, flashlight, etc.)

Next, what material? Nitrile/Buna-N was claimed to be common, but not Oxygen compatible. Vitron may be preferred for Oxygen compatibility. Also saw mention of Polyurethane, but not abrasion resistant. Finally, EPDM was also mentioned as becoming more common.. How accurate is this assessment?

Now, the o-ring website above also has Neoprene, which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, Teflon, Silicon, various Urethane, and fairly exotic (and expensive) materials like Fluorosilicone and Perfluoroelastomer...

So, then, how to decide what material to order various o-rings in? Most of the o-rings are between .05 and .25 each, depending on size, so cost isn't a big factor (Obviously, the $45 mil-spec aerospace o-ring is overkill..)

I'm guessing that Buna-N, Neoprene, or Viton are the likely choices (Viton for tank, HP, and LP for O2), but I'm a bit lost as to what has the best physical properties for scuba.. How to decide??

Old thread, newbie followup questions..

Found a web site: O-Rings - The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy! that seems to have a wide selection of o-rings in various materials and
sizes. $5 shipping for reasonable sized orders (free for $150..)

Now, question is what durometer rating? It seems that HP o-rings and tank valves want 90 and everything else wants 70?
(Everything else, I think, involves computer seals, flashlight, etc.)

Next, what material? Nitrile/Buna-N was claimed to be common, but not Oxygen compatible. Vitron may be preferred for Oxygen compatibility. Also saw mention of Polyurethane, but not abrasion resistant. Finally, EPDM was also mentioned as becoming more common.. How accurate is this assessment?

Now, the o-ring website above also has Neoprene, which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, Teflon, Silicon, various Urethane, and fairly exotic (and expensive) materials like Fluorosilicone and Perfluoroelastomer...

So, then, how to decide what material to order various o-rings in? Most of the o-rings are between .05 and .25 each, depending on size, so cost isn't a big factor (Obviously, the $45 mil-spec aerospace o-ring is overkill..)

I'm guessing that Buna-N, Neoprene, or Viton are the likely choices (Viton for tank, HP, and LP for O2), but I'm a bit lost as to what has the best physical properties for scuba.. How to decide??

For computers, nitrile duro 70 work fine.

For regulators, find an easy chair and start here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...8-scubapro-o-ring-sizes.html?highlight=o-ring

Hi Zirguy,

It looks like none of the regulars know the size o-ring you need, but if you measure the groove the o-ring fits in, we can help you figure it out. See post #51 for more info. If you want to post the measurements here we can probably get you sorted.

Cheers,

Couv

This measurement will be bigger than the o-ring size, though, since the o-ring is stretched into the slot.. I guess it depends on the type of joint, the yoke to tank o-ring isn't stretched, but hose fittings, etc, are. Oceanic ATOM seals with an o-ring between an inner cylinder and an outer cylinder, so the o-ring is stretched around the inner cylinder. Measuring the groove or the old (now stretched) o-ring measures out as significantly larger than the size of the replacement -023 o-ring.

BTW, I have some small paper envelopes that I have labelled with the o-ring size, type, and application. Is there any concern with paper fibres contaminating the o-rings, or am I being overly concerned about this? Should I be using small zip-lock baggies instead? I suspect that it doesn't make any difference, but just to be paranoid about things..

Mares Puck o-ring size anyone have any idea?

I have measured the cap grove with vernier callipers inside diameter 30.12mm, measured the opening the cap goes into, the outer seat for the o-ring 32.7mm and the thickness as 1.78mm.

So the o-ring size is likely a 025 with ID 29.87mm thickness 1.78mm.

I have measured the cap grove with vernier callipers inside diameter 30.12mm, measured the opening the cap goes into, the outer seat for the o-ring 32.7mm and the thickness as 1.78mm.

So the o-ring size is likely a 025 with ID 29.87mm thickness 1.78mm.

Yes, that sounds right to me. That is probably a common size-it might be worth a trip to the hardware store and size it or order a couple of each of the sizes -024; -025; -026

Once verified, please put your findings here.

Cheers,

Couv

Nobody seems to be able to tell me what that o-ring in the OCS battery replacement kit is. The industrial o-ring places don't deal with anything that thin. The watch repair places don't seem to know how to measure it, nor do they have that cone measuring tool.

According to Oceanic Singapore (the first of three Oceanic email addresses I've attempted to contact that has replied to me), the rings the OCS are:
1.5mm x 40mm
But he didn't know the hardness.

Back
Top Bottom