Dive computer for newbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard of failures with the transmitter on the wrist mounted computers.....is this correct?
What if you are going to dive multiple tanks each day for a week(dive vacation) is air integrated the best way to go?
What is good air integrated , reliable , easy to use , nitrox compatible , dive computer ...either console or wrist?
Are there any available that are less than $400.00 ? Alot of the ones that I have looked up are over $600.00 ( a little more than I can spend right now. Thank-you in advance

I am an OW rec diver and am currently using a Suunto Gekko (replaced by Zoop), with DSS mount, its nitrox capable and very simple to use, the battery seems to last forever (150+) and cheap, so far no issues, I like it. People often complain about its conservative algorithm but this has not been an issue for me so far.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I am pretty sure I want to go with the Zoop it seems very positive and it is sold by my LDS.

Good luck on your decision.. I too did a lot of research as I wanted something streamlined yet reliable... So I went with the Oceanic Geo 2.0 watch/computer and a seperate pressure gauge that was small..

The Geo 2.0 goes for about $450.. I found a "like new" on online at a dive store (open box) for $289!!! It was still in deep sleep mode from the factory when it arrived so It was basically new!

Here's a link to the gauge.. less than $60!

Tusa Platina Pressure Gauge, Black (SCA-120)

Aye aye Popaye's,
Newbie here.
Did my AOW couple of months ago, got my nitrox cert and have just signed up for the S&R course. Looking to do alot more diving this year (using EAN.)

I'm slowly starting to get my own kit.
Looking at getting my first comp in the v near future.

Having looked around & researched, I'm looking at the Suunto Vyper.
Obvioulsly with the EAN it's a big plus and it does multi-level for my future training. Don't really want to go Air Int just now. May do it in the future, but don't think i'd ever get rid of the SPG. (In fact just bought a Gear Keeper so i can keep SPG tight to my BCD).

The Vyper looks like an excellant mid-range comp with plenty of features for my future diving needs.
Just wondered if anyone had critisisms (AAHHH where's the spell check??? :confused:) with it or would they suggest an alternative?

Cheers Me Dears :D,
Robbo

Aye aye Popaye's,
Newbie here.
Did my AOW couple of months ago, got my nitrox cert and have just signed up for the S&R course. Looking to do alot more diving this year (using EAN.)

I'm slowly starting to get my own kit.
Looking at getting my first comp in the v near future.

Having looked around & researched, I'm looking at the Suunto Vyper.
Obvioulsly with the EAN it's a big plus and it does multi-level for my future training. Don't really want to go Air Int just now. May do it in the future, but don't think i'd ever get rid of the SPG. (In fact just bought a Gear Keeper so i can keep SPG tight to my BCD).

The Vyper looks like an excellant mid-range comp with plenty of features for my future diving needs.
Just wondered if anyone had critisisms (AAHHH where's the spell check??? :confused:) with it or would they suggest an alternative?

Cheers Me Dears :D,
Robbo

The Vyper is what I use and it's an oldie but goodie. It will serve you fine until a color unit comes out with wireless AI, and then you can use the Vyper as a backup. The Vyper is a small step above the Zoop.

Adam

Good luck on your decision.. I too did a lot of research as I wanted something streamlined yet reliable... So I went with the Oceanic Geo 2.0 watch/computer and a seperate pressure gauge that was small..

The Geo 2.0 goes for about $450.. I found a "like new" on online at a dive store (open box) for $289!!! It was still in deep sleep mode from the factory when it arrived so It was basically new!

Here's a link to the gauge.. less than $60!

Tusa Platina Pressure Gauge, Black (SCA-120)

Did the same thing recently with a "like new" TUSA Zen IQ-900. Same deep sleep and everything. $250. Took it on dives for the first time last month and was quite pleased with my purchase.

Wireless air intergrated dive computers are really nice. I dive with the Oceanci Atom 3.0 and love it. It is all personal, each person is different. I know a lot of people that love consle computers. Get what fits you best. I would recomend going with Oceanic though. They have the dual algorithum so you can chose how you want to dive. I feel that Oceanic makes the best dive comuter on the market. You can't go wrong with an Oceanic. Good luck in finding the computer that is right for you. I know it took me awhile.

Thank-you for all your responses.
I have alot of research to do.
I appreciate everyones comments:)

Back
Top Bottom