Dive computer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got an Oceanic VT3 hoseless, hasn't yet lost sync, easy on to check air prior to getting in the water, comes w/ cable for computer hookup and dive download. Added the deep sea supply bungied housing for it. Absolutely love it. Easy to swap between air and nitrox. easy to set O2%. Awesome computer. The bungeed boot took away my only gripe about wrist computers - the strap is far too long and I HATE the floppy end of the band - not matter where I tried to tuck it it'd come out and pizz me off.

Go with a wrist model and a simple gauge for air pressure, you can thank me later. Bottom times will be based on your SAC rates, rule of 1/3's, or rock bottom gas formula and on your dive plan based on tables not based on what a computer tells you. Plan your dive and dive your plan. I would recommend the Suunto Vytec DS or Nitek Trio for your use, they hold their value well and can be used as bottom timers for technical dives if necessary and will allow you to plug in 3 gases so you could put in a decompression gas or your buddies mix if needed.

Plus one vote for Diverite Nitek Duo/Trio. Trio would be best if you can find a used one.

I have a UWATEC Aladin Prime. I am starting to experience buyers remorse two years from purchase.

I probably won't get involved in tec diving for at least a few years so if prices drop then I may be better off getting a lower priced computer now that will do everything I do now and later buy the more advanced computer.

Considering that algorithyms and hardware are constantly being tweaked and updated, you'd probably be better off buying a tech computer when you start tech diving - particularly if it's a couple of years away.

Personally I bought a Suunto Gekko as it's the lowest priced nitrox computer that allows downloadable profiles (after hacking the hardware) and have been extremely happy with the purchase.

I also chose the Gekko as a console mount rather than wrist mount for a couple of reasons.

1. I like the idea of a non-battery reliant measure of tank pressure - if I buy a hoseless computer in the future the SPG will stay as a backup.

2. Checking NDL's via a console means my tank pressure check is done at the same time.

3. In Tasmania we are allowed to hunt crayfish on SCUBA and having an expensive piece of equipment in the perfect place to jam against rocks while reaching for crayfish is asking for trouble.

I use a Suunto Cobra Air/Nitrox air integrated... I really like it. The only thing I would like to have wrist computer. Either way I would suggest air integrated.. that is an excellent feature. Suunto has large display and is easy to see at a glance.

My wife and I both have UWATEC Galileo Sol. It is not the cheapest computer on the block, so you should know what you want before hauling out the $$. We like the computer with all it's functionality and easy to read data however, because of the amount of variable personal settings available, it has taken about 15-20 dives to get it just right for me/us.

I have a Suunto ghekko as a redundant back-up and my wife has a Suunto mosquito for the same purpose. These have also served us well.

If you have any specific questions, please go ahead and ask here or via PM, as you prefer. I can also provide screen-shots of the (Galileo) computer at various stages of the dive if you are interested.

Having monitored the forums and this subject for a bit, here are some questions (in no order of importance) you might ask about a computer before making the call;

1. Can I change the battery myself if required, including transmitter (if appropriate)? Does it have to go to the dealer? Can the battery even be changed (by anyone at all!!)?
2. How easy is it to change settings (like O2 % / max depth alert etc..) and without having to connect to a PC?
3. What electronic dive log/profile software is compatible to the computer? (check that out if you are into that).
4. How big and easy to read is the data displayed?
5. Does it have built in backlight?

These questions are peripheral to the core functionality of a computer, but I think that people are sometimes disappointed by peripheral factors even though the computer may be suitable for the core purpose.

Good luck and take your time making the choice.

Best Regards
Richard

I'll add one to Riger's five.

6. How loud is the audible alarm?

The Oceanic-Aeris-Sherwood computers can be heard 20 feet away. It takes a person younger than me to hear my Cressi Archimedes computer. Great computer, weak beeper.

The Oceanic-Aeris-Sherwood computers can be heard 20 feet away. It takes a person younger than me to hear my Cressi Archimedes computer. Great computer, weak beeper.

Great point!

Sometimes I wish there was a vibration mode built in too, just at the initiation of an alarm. I wonder if any computers do this...

You mean to say you actually like the audio alarms on dive computers. They drive me insane and then dive with a group and have 2 or 3 go off at once and its enough to make me start cutting peoples hoses off. Of course you can adjust when and how those alarms fire but straight from the factory they tend to be set to go off for everything. I like diving cause its quite, thats part of the reason I want to go CCR, so why go adding things like alarms (or UW communication) to it.

Just my $.02

I'd get this one(--IF--still available) & not look back....VEO 180, ~$200, has gotten me back to the boat & home safely every time......Example, today did a multilevel 110 ft./75 min. dive, deco'ed it but easy to follow out of deco......

EDIT: 2nd dive was 90 ft/70 min----no deco on it......

Search Results

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom