Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max depth 40 feet 63 degrees no thermocline (that I could tell)

Vis was very spotty, I assume due to the crowds, some places the vis was a couple feet away from the crowds I was hitting spots that was more like 12 feet.

2 dives from the Giant Stride
Temp: 68 on the surface, 66 at 88'
Vis: 3-5'
I was out working on buoyancy with my drysuit, trying to figure out how to keep my feet from floating over my head. It was really nice having the lines to follow.

JamesR, if you're reading this, vis was 20', temp 80 degrees :rofl3::rofl3:

Carrie

What was 80 degrees? You swim profile? :rofl3:
If all else fails.. Gaiters! Or we can Goop some ballast to your boots.

What are friends for?

Started at Bob Wentz Park this morning, but the point was closed. Seems like I remember the point being closed when the lake level was above 650 MSL.
Went to Mansfield Park Dive area and dove to the dam. Vis was 3-5, night diving below 30 feet. Water temp was 67 degrees down to 80 feet. Interesting stuff up near the dam. LOTS of fish in the 40-50 foot depth; catfish, bass.
For a visual reference to the lake level, when coming down the steps at the Dive area there is a small dinghy and platform off to the right. The water level is at the base of the dinghy.

Air Temp= 55(F), sunny with slight breeze
Surface Temp= 64(F)
Temp @ Depth= 63(F)
Viz @ 8' (better than what I've seen in a year)

Lake is still low, but seems to be rising. Platform is currently at 16', LTD is at 21', and Camero is at 41' (didn't check depths on other objects). New lines have been placed which lead to an old scuba cylinder at 60'. No thermocline to 60'. Did not see fish deeper than 41'.

Good times for local diving! :wink:

The Sandspit (aka the Beach) is still open. I launched my RIB from there and motored over to the Oasis bluf yesterday. Water temp was around 64 deg and the vis was much better then I've seen in a while, around 6 or 7 feet at the grottos. Above there, where there was more sun light the vis was probably more like 8 or 9.

Good dives today w/lake Travis scuba.

Shaker plant & oasis wall. Water temp has dropped 3 degrees since last week. 64 surface, 62.5 at 91' -- viz improved at least! Didn't really see any of that haze that's been there last few weeks. Viz was 6 to 8, maybe a bit more at times.

Spring Lake, San Marcos

Temp, same. Vis, 50'+. The weeds have made a major come back from this summer and the entire lake is very congested. The hump between Cream of Wheat and Ossified Forrest is especially congested and needs to be cleaned. Since this is one of the shallowest portion of a dive and where you are likely to encounter boats, extreme caution needs to be used. Best to dive under or through the weeds rather than over them.

We did the run along the west bank from Catfish Hotel to Arch Site. Very congested with Coontail. Your best bet is to swim under the heads close to the bottom. That makes navigation tricky so don't try it unless you are very familiar with the lake. Yes, we did get permission from the PIC for that part of the dive.

The channel I cut from Deep Hole to Arch Site is still in good shape. When you are in Deep Hole, head for Fault Line. Position yourself between Fault Line and the Twins, take a 270 heading. The channel is a good 6' wide and hard to miss.

Spring Lake, San Marcos

Temp, same. Vis, 50'+.

Cleared the humps from Diversion into Cream of Wheat. Cleared the humps into/out of Ossified Forrest, the cleared channels are to the left as you enter OF from either direction.

John and me cleared the deepest channel from Arch Site to Catfish Hotel. The cleared channel runs from the northwest corner of Arch Site to the dock and from there to the bottom of Catfish Hotel. At the end of the cleared channel, look to your 2 o'clock to see the "deeper blue" of Catfish Hotel. The channel I cleared from Deep Hole to Arch Site is still clear. All the channels that this weekend's DFS class willl use are clear.

A lot of work needs to be done at Arch Site, Riverbed, Ossified Forrest and Catfish Hotel.

Last edited:
Dove at the Lake Travis Test Station with my dive team (South side of dam on travis). Vis came and went. Spots of fairly decent vis 7-8ft or so. Water was about 60degf. Had my dry suit and pinnacle underwear on, no hood, no gloves and felt fine. I did have a full face mask though.

The lake was around 650 or so.

Back
Top Bottom