Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

November 8, 2009
CSSP @ Terrell TX
64 degree water temp
viz: 25 feet in less-traveled areas

1st dive: 1:40 minutes
2nd dive: 1:05 minutes

58 feet @ bottom of silos :)

Coffin is on it's side. Anyone notice this?

Comal River, Prince Solms Park - New Braunfels, TX
November 8, 2009
2:40 pm

air: 70 deg (maybe), rainy and overcast
bottom temp: 70-72 deg (with a 3mm shorty, it was ok for about an hour, then got a bit cold)
vis: 4' - 5' -max

Been a while since it's rained, so I thought the vis would be better, however there was also not a lot of sun either. I went further upstream than on previous dives, just about to the railroad bridge near the Wurstfest grounds. Near the RR I found a lot of train track parts, and on the drift back toward the Chute I found that other divers must have found a lot of RR parts that the recent floods had washed downstream from the RR, as they've been piled up here and there. I've never seen these RR parts before, and some where quite heavy so the river must have been swift. Also saw about 5 huge 'sucker' fish someone must have dumped from their aquarium. I've seen one here before, but not this many - and these were all upstream closer to the RR where there are more rocks....

Jennifer and I looked for Texas Torpedo's lost mask but sorry David it wasn't to be found today.

Just tell me that it isn't his data mask that's lost... :shocked2:

Comal River (Prince Solmes Park) - 11/11/09 @1030am.
Water Temp - 72 degrees
Visibility - 10 to 12 ft.
Max. Depth - I actually found 14 ft.
Time - 61 minutes.

Very little current until approx 200 ft above the bridge then it was like hitting a wall. Low current allowed me to swim further up stream than I normally do finding some new topography. Very little plant life. At first there seemed to be very few fish until I started heading back down stream and discovered they were all following behind me looking for what my fin kicks might stir up. All in all, a pleasant dive on an absolutely beautiful day. I had the park and river to myself.

Spring flow is around 200cfs. Vis in excess of 60'.

Cream of Wheat is clear of algae and flowing strong. No need to fin, but some vegetation is in the springs.

Riverbed has a nice carpet of Parrot Feather and algae that needs to be cleared.

Catfish Hotel has some algae that can use some attention. Also there is a fine layer of silt on the downstream half of the site. I would avoid clearing coontail from the surrounding slopes for a time.

The passage from Deep Hole to Arch Site is almost completely choked with coontail.

Mansfield Park Dive Area:
Dive 1: Dove towards the boat ramp. Water temp 71 degrees. Vis down to 50 feet was a cloudy 5, maybe 6 foot at times. Below 50 feet vis drops to less than a foot (braille dive). Between 40-45 feet is lots of marine life. Little critters and the tiger fish (that's what I call them). They have tiger strips and sit of the bottom on their fins. Saw over a dozen bass, some fresh water drum, sunfish.
Dive 2: Dove towards the dam. Water temp 70 degrees. Vis about the same except was about 4-5 feet till we got closer to the dam. Again at 40-45 feet, saw a yellow cat, a couple of crappie, more bass, lots of little critters. Below 50 feet, vis was less than a foot.

Comal River - 11/14

Seemed pretty hazy today, lots of sediment moving. Current about the same as a few weeks ago. Viz probably 10' or so most of the time, but some pretty big stirred up clouds coming down as well (thanks to a class).

Temp as usual, 72.

I did make a new "friend."

Attachments

• IMG_5578.jpg
    IMG_5578.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 81
Terrell CSSP 11-14

41ffw, Computer read 65 degrees, Vis was spotty, best was 15ft, mucho debris in the water.

Drysuits are a miracle of modern science!

Aquarena

72 degree water
Warm sunshine outside

60 foot horizontal visibility

Re-deployed underwater camera, with newly repaired underwater cabling, camera and power supply. Looks like it is back up on the Life Aquatic Underwater Web Cam

Special thanks for a great day of diving and lots of hard work by;

Bill
Mary
Carrie
Robert
Aaron

It went well with the dive plan and re-running all the cabling and descending the camera in housing to its location in deep hole to watch all the fish action from your desk top.

Mary and Carrie worked on the path from deep hole to arch site and a lot of work on arch site.

A great job by everyone who volunteered to give me a hand.

The water is crystal clear and looks so good in the springs this time of year. Not too hot out and the water is same temp all year round.

Shawn O'Shea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom