Dive conditions in Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be travelling to Australia in the next couple of weeks and I plan to go diving if things work out.

What's the water temperature and how is the vis in the Sydney area?

viz in sydney changes with the weather

last week, a good 15mtr viz and 19dec temps... this weekend it rained so 5mtr viz and 18dec temp... next week will be brillant im sure! :D

sydney diving - we use 5mm wetsuits

but look into getting out of sydney... 1hr south to Shellharbour and 2hrs north to Nelson Bay

cheers

almitywife:
viz in sydney changes with the weather

last week, a good 15mtr viz and 19dec temps... this weekend it rained so 5mtr viz and 18dec temp... next week will be brillant im sure! :D

sydney diving - we use 5mm wetsuits

but look into getting out of sydney... 1hr south to Shellharbour and 2hrs north to Nelson Bay
Thanks for the info. I'm somewhat of a regular at Sydney, but was just curious about the conditions. I go out on the Prodive boat whenever I get to spend the weekend in Sydney. Haven't had a chance to go to Shellharbour or Nelson Bay. (Yet.) I also want to dive the Barrier Reef.

19C will be great. The water temp was under 10C in Vancouver on Saturday. BRRRH! Good thing for drysuits.

hahaha - i thought being from BC that our water would be warm for you

hubby is and instructor at Frogdive Guildford so if youre ever on the Omega say hello to Almity1

Prodive at Nelson Bay and Leisure Coast Dive at Shellharbour, even the shore dive (The Gutter) at Shellharbour are great

cheers

Other good places out of sydney:

- Jervis bay is great for a holiday (3 hours south) - I'm going there is 3 weeks
- Terrigal is great for getting out of sydney for a few hours (1 hour north)
- Bare Island in south sydney is probably best for an impromptu shore dive - good in most conditions

bare island this sunday is going to be a ZOO!

60+ divers with cameras for the PADI shootout plus everyone else.... some great prizes on offer so should be fun

Went out on the Sealife V this morning. We dove the Valient first and DY Wide second. What a great day. Saw some morays on the Valient (missed the wobbys), but had a really close encounter with a huge wobby at DY. It swam right up to me. Also saw a cuttlefish and a good size blue groper. Unfortunately no weedy sea dragons this time of year.

You people who live in Sydney are so lucky.

:happywave Daryl!!

have you dived Bare Island yet? double dive yesterday and we had sea horses, the bigest blue groper ive ever seen plus a few others, port jackson shark with egg in its mouth, wobbies, lots of weedies, pygmie lionfish and the elusive red indian fish... right off the shore followed by picnic and nag with friends

yep - some days its hard being an aussie :D

what the hell is this no weedies "this time of year"? phone Abyss, Aquatic Explorers or Shiprock Dive and go to Kurnell.

i would offer but no diving next weekend for me as i have other family obligations sorry

how long are you here for??

almitywife:
:happywave Daryl!!

have you dived Bare Island yet? double dive yesterday and we had sea horses, the bigest blue groper ive ever seen plus a few others, port jackson shark with egg in its mouth, wobbies, lots of weedies, pygmie lionfish and the elusive red indian fish... right off the shore followed by picnic and nag with friends

yep - some days its hard being an aussie :D

what the hell is this no weedies "this time of year"? phone Abyss, Aquatic Explorers or Shiprock Dive and go to Kurnell.

i would offer but no diving next weekend for me as i have other family obligations sorry

how long are you here for??
I'll put Bare Island on my list of places to go diving. Yah, life certainly seems rough. I've seen weedies in the winter but not in the summer. I was told they aren't around in the summer. So much for believing everything you hear. It would be great to go for a dive, but I'm heading home on Thursday. Thanks anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom