Dive knives and back inflation bcds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back inflate seems to really be gaining popularity. It seems every brand has at least one back inflate model now. I switched to one myself last year, and my wife's only BC she has ever owned is back inflate since it was the only way she didn't get squashed when the BC was inflated (a common problem for smaller divers with non back inflate BCs).

As for the vertical position thing, as others have said it's only really an issue when fully inflated at the surface, and even then not much of one. Many people actually like to just float on their back in that case which works fine.

Either way lost of people are buying back inflate these days, so the store is clearly wrong that no one has been buying them. They just haven't been buying them at that store.

If you want to buy a knife that you can't sharpen, then I have horse that you can't ride that I'll sell you for cheap!:D Come on, shes a really nice horse! Pretty, too!

I was in an archery store the other day and was looking up at the bows and drooling over the new Mathews Z7-Xtreme. The sales guy said, "you want to shoot that? Quite taken aback, I said, "absolutely! Do you have a demo?" I was prepared to shoot one that was close to, but not exactly my draw length. Instead he pulled the appropriate one off the wall, got me set up and took me back to the shooting lanes. The bow was sublime. $860 for the bare bow. Another few hundred to build it with a site and stabilizer. I damn near forked the cash out right then and there. The sales guy was an experienced archer and he knew his product. If I sell the horsetrailer that I have on the market, the first thing I'm going to do is march in there and buy the bow.

LDSs need to adopt policy similar to that of the above anecdote.
Just like archery, there are a limited number of divers in any given population base surrounding an LDS. Repeat loyal customers are key to survival.

With that in mind, concerning your LDS, I'd walk away. Probably send them a letter or email explaining why.... they are FOS. (full of doo doo)

I used to shoot and had a compound for a long time. I never did like it as much as my 55lb Bear full recurve. Used to get my uncle's 70 lb long bow and put 10 or 12 dozen arrows thru it a week for about a month and a half before deer season. When it came time to draw and hold the 55. Easy as pie.

That said I only use a non back inflate when I have to. Like maybe one pool session for OW classes to show students.

I used a vest style bc for class and on a few charters and almost bought one. But then my buddy let me try a backplate and wing and I was so amazed at the difference between the two. I say try both and If you can't then you should rent until you can. You will have no problems with a back inflate rig, in fact you will like it even better (doesn't inflate around your core). Anyways, my personal opinion is that vest bc's are purely marketing. All the companies need a new model to sell to keep up in competition. It will be painfully obvious when you see how much bpw hasn't changed since it was created.

Thank you all for the great responses! I'm glad to see that I wasn't crazy, but I'm sure you all understand my hesitation to mention it in the store. Sometimes things just aren't intuitive.

The store has been there for years. I'll never buy anything from them except to get my air filled (and I'm looking around for other places atm anyways) and to get my regulator serviced. I'm hoping they don't screw that up XD.

I don't know what their problem is. I understand (although disagree with) why she would lie about the BCD to try and improve sales for what she has in stock, but the knife comment completely baffled me, as it does not behoove her at all to say not to sharpen them. Perhaps she's just never sharpened hers for years and that's what she thinks is right.

I think the reason they remain in business is because there's not much else around here. :p Anybody want to open a shop with me? Lol.

but the knife comment completely baffled me, as it does not behoove her at all to say not to sharpen them. Perhaps she's just never sharpened hers for years and that's what she thinks is right.

This sort of thing happens in every walk of life. Someone hears something somewhere, assumes it is true, and repeats to several people. They assume it is true, repeat it, and a myth is born. Before long people will go to the wall to defend that myth.

I am sure she believes it, just as many scuba instructors believe it when they repeat the silly myth bout divemasters leaping in the water to save a diver because the diver's mask on the forehead--a sure sign of panic.

I would find a new dive shop. The owners might live in a bubble that you don't want to be a part of.:wink:

There are way too many good dive shops out there, you don't have to spend any time in a bad one.

-Mitch

But they look down their noses at new people so bad that I refuse to ask them any questions. What do you all think?

In a jacket style BC the small amount of air used to get neutral goes to the back of the bladder when you are horizontal and goes into the upper portion in the shoulders and back when you go vertical. It does the same in a back inflate style BC.

I could see there being a difference if the BC was completely inflated, but then you wouldn't be underwater anymore.

The store has been there for years. I'll never buy anything from them except to get my air filled (and I'm looking around for other places atm anyways) and to get my regulator serviced. I'm hoping they don't screw that up XD.

Crotchety old store owners have long memories. If you keep using them for air but don't buy from them expect to hear them complain about being used as a fill station with no introspection (on their part) of why that would be. IMHO you might consider buying a few items from them (trim pockets, etc.) so that they view you as a customer.

If they put as much effort and joy into servicing regs as they put into quality sales, do you want your regs serviced there? USPS and UPS are pretty cheap. You might be better off shelling out $20-$40 to ship your regs (return) to a place that will keep them running flawlessly.

The bit about back inflate BCs leaving you face down has been around so long it is one of those urban legends. Not true - unless all your weight is in forward mounting weight pockets, you are significantly overweighted, and doing this to try to prove a point. With my set-up,properly weighted I float face up at the surface.
Dive knives - love the Wenoka Tanto Tip titanium squeeze lock - under $50 Never ahd any rust issues and it stays sharp.

Back
Top Bottom