Dive Lake Ouachita! Swamper trip Sept 26/27. Come join us!

Will you be joining the Swampers at Lake Ouachita Sept 26/27?

• Yes, I'll be there, but I won't be using the boat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...I might be there, but I won't be using the boat.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I accidently stumbled across this thread looking for current viz info at Lake Ouachita as I am going up there this weekend. I usually look under Deep Dixie Divers for this. Is this trip open for a 2 or 3 Louisiana divers or is it just for Texans? My wife and I have only been diving a couple of years but I expect to have 100 dives under my belt by the end of the year with the majority of them being on Lake Ouachita. I am no expert on the lake but I have been up there camping/diving enough that I built my boat "The Dive Shack" mainly to use up there and keep it in dry storage near the lake. There is one unique thing about Ouachita pertaining to camping and diving. That is the lakes numerous islands. Although as mentioned before there is no drive up shore diving alot of the prime dive spots are along the many islands. All one needs is a boat to get you to the island.You can then gear up on shore, dive and not have to worry about your boat being manned or the anchor slipping. Also you can camp on the islands in a tent, boat or houseboat. My boat has bunks and we pull it on an island at night,usually at a dive spot, and just eat, sleep and dive. We also have been spearfishing up there lately and last year at the time of your planned trip the viz was great and water tolerable. That being said if us Louisianians are welcome I can bring my boat. It will probably only accomodate 4-6 divers and gear but I could shuttle folks to an island for diving/camping. It also have GPS mapping/graph to locate those hard to find dive spots (Navionics charts). Also as recommended in a previous thread Ricks Dive Center has a large pontoon that will accomodate probably 20 divers and does weekend dives. They know the lake better than me and I have dove with them up there before. They are a top notch operation. Also not mentioned is that there is air and a dive shop at Brady Mountain. We are renting a house boat up there this weekend and I should have a report for dive conditions and spearfishing early next week.Here is a pic of my boat.
Login | Facebook

I'm sure ya'll would be welcome to join us Brian, I can only speak for myself, but I surely don't have a problem with it.

Nice boat btw!

Just got back from Lake Ouachita. Viz varied from almost nothing in one spot to 20 feet below the thermocline which ranged around 25ft. depth. Average viz was about 8ft. above thermocline where we spent most of our time spearfishing. Couple of spots you could see the surface from 15ft depth. Surface temp was 85 and below thermocline 71 at 51 ft. The guy at the dive shop (Brady Mountain) told me their last open weekend on the lake would be Labor Day weekend. Will have to go to town after that to get air unless Ocean Extreme at Mt. Harbor is open. FYI they do have two nice pontoons for rent with hard top at the Brady Mt. Marina store next to the dive shop. I would think the viz would improve towards the end of September unless they get alot of rain from hurricanes.

Might be back on the 'Go' list.

Is this on for Oct. 3/4 for sure?

I just realized this is the same weekend as the Comal River Trashfest and would like to commit 100% to one or the other. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom