Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the light and really like it. What batteries are you guys using? I'm using Samsung 26650 batteries and after about 40 minutes the light is only about 25% of it's brightness.
That's what I see as well, using an UltraFire haha 6000MAh battery. Others have reported vastly different results, so the reasons for this are not clear yet.

What I have seen from some inconclusive testing is that the light - my unit anyway - is not regulated for current consumption (unlike many or most other high output LED lights of higher cost). This seems to result in different current draw and light output levels from different batteries - possibly having to do with the battery itself, its internal resistance. Whether this could result in the many-fold differences in run-times reported remains to be determined. I'm skeptical but interested in finding out.

I have over 40 dives on mine so far and as deep as 132 feet and no problems to report yet.
I think this thread I started has prompted canister light manufacturers to send assassins after me! :ar15::gun::letsparty::m16::missing::swordfight::skull::biggun::guillotine::hanged:

Ok here is a little piece of my dive with the lights on the gopro.... [video]https://youtu.be/s90tlL7pVII[/video]

Jim....

I still don't see how you guys are getting the burn time on these you're posting. On full power this light only lasts around 30-35 minutes and then there's a drastic difference in output. How are people getting 2hrs? :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

I shot 37 minutes of video and the lights were still doing a good job.... But, they only showed 1.7 volts when I put them in the charger...

Jim...

I still don't see how you guys are getting the burn time on these you're posting. On full power this light only lasts around 30-35 minutes and then there's a drastic difference in output. How are people getting 2hrs? :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:
Assuming you have exactly the same light, it must be in the batteries, or possibly the charger.

I can only confirm that my light is plenty bright after 60min. It may not be exactly as bright as at full power, but I'd be very surprised if it's lost more than 20% of the original output. As they say, YMMV. :idk:

Assuming you have exactly the same light, it must be in the batteries, or possibly the charger.

I can only confirm that my light is plenty bright after 60min. It may not be exactly as bright as at full power, but I'd be very surprised if it's lost more than 20% of the original output. As they say, YMMV. :idk:

dberry, what batteries are you using? I'm using the Efest IMR 26650 batteries, 3500mAh 64A 3.7v. After about 30 minutes or so I've probably lost more than 75% of the light output. At that point my 450 lumen big blue light is brighter that this one.

And yes, I'm using the same light from the original ebay link that ships out of Hacienda Heights, CA.

I shot 37 minutes of video and the lights were still doing a good job.... But, they only showed 1.7 volts when I put them in the charger...

Jim...
Are you sure about that voltage measurement!? I thought 2.7V was the lowest safe limit for Li-Ion batteries, and the reason for protection circuitry. I thought I read that the risk of fire (aside from mechanically damaging the cells) was during recharging after taking the battery below 2.7V.

Just don't think you are getting 5000 lumen, 1x 26650 and 3 XML LED, with high drain battery, you will probably get 1000-1200 lumen out of the light at most. With 4000mAh cell, for the run time of maybe 50 minutes. For the cost it doesn't sound bad at all. Hope it is reliable tho

It's common practice for manufacturers to report the number of lumens as the peak brightness attained when as the bulbs are pushed to higher and higher voltages until they explode. Some years ago Chinese manufactures starting doing this. It can't be refuted because the bulbs *can* actually produce that amount of light but what they don't tell you is that in a normal running mode you probably won't even get in the same order of magnitude.

That said, I know nothing about that light but it seems very inexpensive for what is sure to be a fairly bright light with 3 LED's in it.

R..

Are you sure about that voltage measurement!? I thought 2.7V was the lowest safe limit for Li-Ion batteries, and the reason for protection circuitry. I thought I read that the risk of fire (aside from mechanically damaging the cells) was during recharging after taking the battery below 2.7V.

To the best of my recollection that's what the charger said when I put them in... I had no fire and the lights work fine.. I be careful about checking next dive..

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom