Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 5000 Lumen 60m 3 CREE XM L T6 LED Diving Flashlight just arrived this afternoon and I noticed there are only 3 (On, Off, SOS) modes instead of 8 as advertised. Anyone have this problem?

Turn it to off position and then back to the desired mode quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subzero,

Sorry was typing on my phone in a hurry. Turn it to on and it will be full brightness, cycle to off then back on quickly and it will drop to about half power. Again and it will drop to 1/3.

Same for the flashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't even have to go all the way back to off, the key is to do the motion quick enough not to reset to full.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 12:56 PM ----------

I purchased two of these and figured I would compare it with my other cheap DGX600 light.

Here is a picture of the eBay light on the left and the dgx600 on the right. 26650 on the eBay light and an 18650 on the DGX.
Thanks for posting the pic. I have a copy of the DGX, it is a tight-beamed light. Though it's hard to tell from a pic, the center looks as bright or brighter on the DGX than on the 3x LED light. That's how mine look by comparison as well. By the way, so long as the batteries are both at near full charge, it shouldn't matter which form of battery is in the lights. The eBay light will start to drop in intensity right away (this is the subject of some back and forth here, but mine certainly does), while the DGX is regulated and holds much more constant light output for at least quite a while.

I just took my new light (5000 Lumen 60m 3 CREE XM L T6 LED) for a test dive along with my Dive Rite MR11 Can Light and I must say the former is REALLY BRIGHT and it put the latter to shame!! What's amazing a 5000 lumen light cost a mere $26.
Thanks to the OP for sharing this wonderful light!

Safe diving!

Well I have not even finished my OW yet (start pool work tonight) but I went ahead and got one of these. Thanks!

Bumped to make it easy to find....

I acquired the same torch lately, and a pair of trustfire 5000mAh 26650 (from a well rated seller, received in a package with hologram).

The build is not impressive, there were a few debris of aluminum and sharp edges to be filed, but there are double Orings on the tail and head part, and a magnetic switch that seems pretty failproof (hint: there is a ball-bearing on a spring in there, don't leave it greaseless, and don't loose it ! Yes, yes, I spend 15mn on my knees searching the dusty floor :dork2:). The reflectors have a decent parabolic shape, and the beam is neatly uniform with less than 15degree angle for the hot spot. I only greased the rings a bit, charged the 26650s full and went to test in a lake snorkel session.

I stayed in the water 2h30, the light burned for more than 2hours, and I did not notice a drop in luminosity by the end. I went twice to 15m, also 3 time or more to 10m, and numerous excursions to the 3m and 5m area. There was no humidity inside, not even a bit of "mayonaise" in between the two Orings.

The only downside: in this lake with approx 5m visibility, I found that the spot at 3m distance was not really sharp any more. I do not know if this is due only to the particles diffusing, to the reflector design, or simply the fact that there are 3 leds, but I could not shake off that feeling of "with so much light, it should punch through further".

BTW, I tried to make a video diffuser out of a milk bottle cap but I find that it absorbs too much, even after sanding and thinning it. I am afraid the backscattered light will heat up the leds when this diffuser is on. Do you have tips for a better DIY video diffuser ?

Hi guys,

Very nice thread. The mentioned torch is it wide or concentrated beam? Unfortunately I couldn't find a clear answer to this question.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Nick

fnog,

I am using a piece bored out of a panel that is used on hung ceiling fluorescent lights. Google "fluorescent lights diffuser panels".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom