Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Peter,

Sorry to disappoint but I am one of those wimpy warm water divers. Nothing short of a mermaid – and she better be good-looking too – will get me to dive around here. Montauk in August will be out near or in the Gulfstream, so hopefully somewhat warmer and clear. But the Kanes donuts offer is still good if you are in Boston.

Since a few people have mentioned possibly using these lights as video lights (or even spotting lights for still photography), has anyone found anything off-the-shelf for mounting these lights to an arm?

My initial thoughts – if none have been found – would be to weld a ¼” stainless nut onto a stainless hose clamp so as to then screw in a ball or a clevis to the ¼” nut.

I'm working on it right now in the shop... Will give full update and parts list with photos when done..

Jim...

I bought some and it dies put out a lot of light. not a reall narrow beam but a lot of light.

I also just purchased a similar offering using the same logic as Fiddler. 5000 Lumen 3X CREE XM L2 LED Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch Waterproof Light | eBay I paid $22.50. I haven't even picked up batteries for it yet, but will soon. I am still very skeptical that it will deliver anywhere close to the rated light output or that it will actually prove to be waterproof - but $22.50 - I've gambled larger sums on less rewards.

Good point about salt water in the battery case, Craig.

Just got my two new lights today.. Work perfect.. Now to get the light holder built for the gopro..

Jim..

I did a quick test of battery voltage, light output, and tail cap current draw last night, running the light for 10 minutes, letting it sit off 10 minutes, then taking measurements. The light does not appear to use current regulation circuitry.

Current dropped from 2.9A to 2.0A, as voltage went from 4.0 to 3.3, over 30 minutes. Light output was 50% less at 30 minutes, measuring in the first halo - not the center spot (about 2 ft off center of beam, at 10 ft away). I intended to use 15 minute intervals, but in the first 10 minutes the head became hot enough that I decided to cap it at 10'/interval. The heat build-up was noticeably less with each 10' cycle. I used a fully charged new Ultrafire 26650 battery at the start of the test.

When I had checked earlier with a 18650 battery installed, I got 4A initial drain with a fully charged battery. So more testing is needed to determine why the difference in numbers.

This was a crude test, but confirms my earlier subjective impression that light output declines with time. I'm looking for a variable voltage DC supply so I can do this test without the limitation of having to install and manage a battery as the power source.

OK... Here it is... Custom light bar for my gopro ... IMG_20150606_180031111.jpg
The noodle foam is to make it neutral in fresh water.. Just used zip ties for now.. Have second one in the shop that uses a real metal clamp and let's the lights rotate ..

Jim....

Also... Ordered battery " TrustFire" 5000mAh with PCB.. They are TF 26650 3.7 V but they are to long.. The end cap does not close over the last o-ring.. It's the circuit board that's on the bottom ... Can you just remove the PCB board and still use the battery ??
Jim...

I measured the o-rings that came with my light as N2.0x21mm front and N2.0x22mm rear (one of the front o-rings was actually 1.3 x 24mm, but I think that wasn't really the right size). The channels are 27mm and 28mm diameter, so I have also ordered 2.0x26 and 2.0x27 sizes, since I think that a 1mm stretch is probably really good for these lights. I'll test these when I get the o-rings.[/QUOTE]

Well, it looks like the light relies on the stretch of a smaller o-ring reducing the cross-section, I guess.. My 27 and 28mm o-rings were a bust. I did get some 2.0x22mm o-rings for another application, but they do seem to work in the rear, but I still need something for the front (presumably 2.0x21mm, but not verified yet.) I do still recommend the o-ring store web site, I got what seems like a couple of years worth of o-rings for various lights, computers, hoses, etc, for about $18 shipped.

A quick update on the 3 diode e-bay light. Did some wreck diving in Pensacola Fl. last week. Dove the Oriskany and hit 138 ft. The light flooded from the front bezel ring. I noticed it was loose when it started to flicker. I don't remember it being loose on the other dives I did with it. So, check the front bezel and make sure its tight! I still like this light and ordered another one today.

Back
Top Bottom