Dive Log Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been under the impression that any dive (when certified) are considered "logged dives". Most of the instructors I have met log the dives when they are working. I guess it falls under whether or not the dive is SCUBA or other facets of diving (ie. hookah, commercial, skin, etc.) If this isn't the answer you were looking for perhaps someone else will give a more detailed answer.

Thanks. I was doing a short job and I wondered whether I should log it or not. Guess I will at to my list.

It depends on why you're logging the dives... it is generally a good idea to log all dives, working (here I assume that you'll be teaching or are qualified to work underwater), traning and recreational.

Most people I know, instructors or not do log their dives, it is important if you plan to work your way up the training ladder as you usually have to show your experience (then again it can easily be faked, but you'd only be fooling yourself). I know some people log 2000, 3000 or 4000 dives and tend to stop for their own personal reasons.

I think you'll find most people here will log their dives for themselves to keep a catalogue of their experience, a lot will try to get the signed by someone else, though this doesn't always happen for one reason or another - that's what I do anyways.

I know one instructor has stopped logging his dives having done well over 1000, but he downloads his computer data (which is air integrated so logs his air consumption too) and makes sure he backs them up.

Snickler:
Thanks. I was doing a short job and I wondered whether I should log it or not. Guess I will at to my list.

You set-up, went down came back and broke it all down. You executed a task that required your training and experience as a diver. I'd see no reason not to log it due to duration. Sometimes I hear that short working dives, like in marinas or around UW equipment can be very demanding as well worth recording. It's all part of your experience base the way I see it.

Pete

If it is long enough and deep enough, log it.

This brings another question...

What is long enough / deep enough?

If I am scraping the bottom of a boat (6 FSW) and am down for 1 hour?
How about retrieving an outboard motor (30 FSW) and only takes 10 minutes to run a line down?
Going for lobsters, (15 FSW) and stay down for 80 minutes?

In each of these situations, I would presume that you have completed a "dive"..

What are some other people's opinions..

countryboy:
This brings another question...

What is long enough / deep enough?

If I am scraping the bottom of a boat (6 FSW) and am down for 1 hour?
How about retrieving an outboard motor (30 FSW) and only takes 10 minutes to run a line down?
Going for lobsters, (15 FSW) and stay down for 80 minutes?

In each of these situations, I would presume that you have completed a "dive"..

What are some other people's opinions..
You log what you want to remember. If you want to keep some notes about what worked well for hull cleaning, then your logbook is a great place to jot down what worked or didn't.

It's YOUR logbook, write down what's useful for YOU.

Generally, if it's deeper than 15 feet, or longer than 10 minutes, I log it. I figure in either case, it's worth noting in the event of an emergency.

Wouldn't a nice rule of thumb be that if you are using skills and knowledge directly associated with SCUBA diving that you would log it as a dive? I have snorkeled with dive gear on and didn't count it as a dive because I wasn't breathing air at depth and I wasn't having to use any of the gear in the sense of SCUBA diving. (took bc with tank down so I could inflate a lift bag to bring up a prop I couldn't swim up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom