dive mask qualify as safety glasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will look pretty daff walking around your job site wearing a mask and snorkel.

N

The mask may be covered, but not the snorkel. But, do you need a snorkel in the office?--discuss.....

If you intend to qualify as safety glasses certification as meeting a standard such as ANSI Z87.1 is a reasonable expectations. The fact that they are goggles does not deem the lenses safe. I'm not aware of any masks that would qualify. You'd have better luck getting it covered as prescription eyeglasses.

I have been able to put prescription masks under Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) to buy them pre-tax.

Pete

The mask may be covered, but not the snorkel. But, do you need a snorkel in the office?--discuss.....

There are times in the office that I feel like I am drowning in a certain brown, foul smelling substance so a snorkel might be useful!:snorkel2::snicker:

So my health insurance covers vision care and includes safety glasses. I think dive mask should qualify as safety glasses don't you think? :p

Scuba masks are just tempered glass. For commercial diving we use Lexan instead. It is bullet proof and no matter how scratched up it gets it becomes crystal clear as soon as it hits the water.

Hmm, would it cover a prescription mask?

I have to believe most vision insurance plans would cover prescription masks. I would think a prescription mask qualifies as "corrective eyewear." The more interesting question is whether vision insurance covers a dive mask without corrective lenses--under the umbrella of "safety glasses." If the OP's plan covers non-prescription safety glasses, that is pretty generous. Maybe the intent is to encourage people to keep their eyes protected during activities that could otherwise have resulted in injury, presumably resulting in fewer claims against the insurance for eye injuries. If that's the intent, it could be argued a dive mask doesn't have that effect, since you effectively could not have been scuba diving in the first place without the mask.

Everybody knows that high velocity particles are a rare occurrence under water. No. Neutrinos do not count.

Your claim may be valid if it can be shown that you encounter underwater supercavitating... umm... objects in your work.
I would prefer paying for a scuba mask instead.

I am rather sure that PadI would require a snorkel. I would find a snorkel only marginally more useful whilst SCUBA diving that hanging around the office water cooler discussing the latest episode of some lame government left wing propaganda masquerading as network TV programing.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom