Dive Master Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me or do most DM'S use full foot fins. I have been watching this on many trips and it seems to me most do. That said all locations were warm water places. Any thoughts on this or am I out of sink here in my observations? Just a thought I have had for awhile.

All DM's here do not use full foot fins... But then, we do a LOT of shore diving here...

Probably true for DMs diving tropical off a boat all the time, it makes sense to use full foot. One less thing to mess with, and don't have to deal with booties that will never dry.

Visitors on the other hand, often shore dive some of the places they dive and/or come from someplace with cold water where they wouldn't use full foot fins, so they will just use their strap fins (unless they have a fin wardrobe.)

Full foot fins are usually cheaper in the long run, and most DM's don't make a lot of money. Just something else to think about.

You know I used them when I worked in Maui and loved them, mainly if boat diving. Then some where along the line I got the idea that they were for snorkel folks only, never really argreed with that. My Mares volos are starting to crack out many miles on theses fins, so you know I think I may go back to the full foot mares volo power fins for a try in Fiji allot cheaper agreed! No fins straps to break and most repairs could be made with some darn good duct tape. Plus these airline weight limits keep going down I gonna have to start flying naked!I know that will always leave a empty seat next to me on the plane. Just some thoughts- no attacks please! That was a joke for those of you who like to pick apart a post.

domino22:
You know I used them when I worked in Maui and loved them, mainly if boat diving. Then some where along the line I got the idea that they were for snorkel folks only, never really argreed with that. My Mares volos are starting to crack out many miles on theses fins, so you know I think I may go back to the full foot mares volo power fins for a try in Fiji allot cheaper agreed! No fins straps to break and most repairs could be made with some darn good duct tape. Plus these airline weight limits keep going down I gonna have to start flying naked!I know that will always leave a empty seat next to me on the plane. Just some thoughts- no attacks please! That was a joke for those of you who like to pick apart a post.

my wife just bought spring straps for her Volos. You could always use this as an excuse to do that, as they would be a lot cheaper than new Volos.

Full foot cheaper and convenience for DMs, most of the DMs in tropical environments used full foot fin.

It might also depends on personal preference on the type of fin he/she prefers. For example, I am hooked with Jets and it comes in JETs only!!!

Many DMs, if not most, I know around here uses open heel. But most of them are not full time DMs like myself so that might not be the right sample group. But I have to agree that fullfoot fins would probably make a difference if I am to work full time on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom