Dive Master responsibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all
I am a new diver heading to Bonaire and contacted VIP Diving to set up a refresher course + some dives. I was offered several options for dives I really want to do, but the only person available is not at DM level. Isn't there supposed to be a DM on all company dives? Or is it just about your comfort level? I have only completed the course, and that was in March. I am a total newbie. Thoughts, anyone?

Welcome to ScubaBoard. If you are trying to get information like this, it is a good idea to start a new thread with your question rather than tack it on to a very old thread like this one. A lot of people who could help stop reading old threads once they feel they have run their course.

Let me try to answer your question.

What a DM does or does not do varies tremendously from one dive site to another. In some places, the DM is very much in control of your dive, leading you every step of the way and watching you carefully. In some places, a DM is in the water jus swimming around in case you want something. In other cases, a DM stays on the boat, and whatever happens in the water is up to you. I have also been on boats where there was no one in that role at all.

Your situation, however, sounds peculiar. If you have asked for a refresher course and if you have asked for someone to lead you on dives, I can't believe they would not supply someone of at least the DM level to do that. The main reason is insurance. If you are not a professional diver, then you cannot get liability insurance. An operator who allows an uninsured diver to teach a class and lead dives is opening itself up for a lawsuit, and the diver who accepts a professional relationship without insurance is also putting himself or herself at great risk.

Perhaps you are confused by the title "divemaster." It sounds like someone with that title is at the top of the professional heap, but it is really the entry level of the professional diver. Both assistant instructors and instructors are at a higher professional level. In resort areas. Most of the "divemasters who lead dives are actually full instructors.

Last edited:
Welcome to ScubaBoard. If you are trying to get information like this, it is a good idea to start a new thread with your question rather than tack it on to a very old thread like this one. A lot of people who could help stop reading old threads once they feel they have run their course.

Let me try to answer your question.

What a DM does or does not do varies tremendously from one dive site to another. In some places, the DM is very much in control of your dive, leading you every step of the way and watching you carefully. In some places, a DM is in the water jus swimming around in case you want something. In other cases, a DM stays on the boat, and whatever happens in the water is up to you. I have also been on boats where there was no one in that role at all.

Your situation, however, sounds peculiar. If you have asked for a refresher course and if you have asked for someone to lead you on dives, I can't believe they would not supply someone of at least the DM level to do that. The main reason is insurance. If you are not a professional diver, then you cannot get liability insurance. An operator who allows an uninsured diver to teach a class and lead dives is opening itself up for a lawsuit, and the diver who accepts a professional relationship without insurance is also putting himself or herself at great risk.

Perhaps you are confused by the title "divemaster." It sounds like someone with that title is at the top of the professional heap, but it is really the entry level of the professional diver. Both assistant instructors and instructors are at a higher professional level. In resort areas. Most of the "divemasters who lead dives are actually full instructors.

Ah, okay, now I get it. He just replied that he's a PADI instructor, so I rest assured. Still trying to figure out this forum, obviously. I lucked out that you answered! Thanks, Boulderjohn!

One post said the DM course is geared toward being an assistant to the Instructor. As opposed to stuff regarding leading boat dives. True. And in my "newbie" OP, there is lots of academic material that is definately interesting, but not necessarily helpful to the DM.

Once your passion increases!! you'll see the out the box picture of a DM' duties. They range from organizing, preparing, caring, look out for others and those around them, acting as a role model and safety. Apart from that they are the backbone of the instructors and the organization affiliated.

There is more than you think!!!!

Have fun and enjoy is an excellent course to get into....

Please note: I am not started my classes yet, but will soon.

After reading many of the post on this board, it appears that a Dive Master responsibility on a dive trip consist of the following jobs to do:
1. Get the boat to the dive site
2. Get the boat back to base
3. Count that he has the same number of diver/bodies that began the trip
4. Collect the tips
All other responsibilities for safety, comfort and comradery is the responsibility of the diver.

Sorry if this seems sarcastic but this is how I have read it.

I don't know what you've been reading. I wil give you the list of my DM's general responsibilities for the boat:

1. collect and label rental and school gear kits for each diver according to their needs.
2. Collect the air tanks and have them ready to transport to boat.
3. Check all safety gear and O2 cylinder.
4. Collect soft drinks, ice, and water for boat.
5. Make sure all above are taken to the boat and oversee loading of the boat.
6. Check in each diver.
7. Oversee the divers as they assemble gear and troubleshoot and assist where needed. (They do Not assemble for them)
8. Conduct boat briefing before leaving dock.
9. Talk to divers, be sociable on the ride out.
10. Decide, with the captain, where to tie up at the reef.
11. Ties up to the buoy.
12. Sets out flag, drops ladders.
13. Checks conditions.
14. Conducts site briefing, lays out boat max dive time, reviews safety procedures.
15. Confirms buddy pairs.
16. Sets people up in optimal pairs, if needed.
17. Accompanies new to the boat divers, or those who are less experienced.
18. Can and will repair any gear on board that may need it. Can take apart and fix all gear, the boat's or customers.
19. Helps divers into gear and into the water.
20. Dives with a group as needed.
21. Is ready and able to handle any in water or out of water emergency.
22. Assists in diver recovery after the dive.
23. Makes sure that all are safely aboard.
24. Confirms all return, then helps stow away gear.
25. Detaches from buoy, pulls up ladders, removes flag, and helps captain get under way.
26. Helps identify creatures seen.
27. Upon return, helps tie up, unloads boat, brings back equipment, and sees to return of all gear.
28. Thanks divers for diving with us.
29. Answers all questions of divers.
30. Is largely unappreciated for all they do.

So yeah, in my mind, they do deserve a little appreciation, though they don't ask for it.

I think what you need to know is that a DM can make or break a dive day. A good DM knows his/her job and al the ins and outs of diving. They also know people. They read people and help the anxious diver before that diver needs real help. The DM knows the site and picks the best dive spot according to conditions. They give you valuable advice about your dive and where to find the great stuff there.

Most importantly, a good DM can anticipate needs and avoid trouble before it happens. They read their divers. They anticipate needs and problems and takes steps to avoid them. These things that many divers never notice, yet are so important.

If they are DM'ing a class on the boat, they have another list as long as my first added to it to take care of the students and assist the instructor. Good DM's are invaluable.

And they do it with very little real recognition.

After reading the above posts it is becoming increasingly clear that everyone has a different idea of what a DM should or should not be. It is obvious that each location calls for a DM to fill a slightly different role. The one thing that I am not seeing a lot of people mention on here is the most important role of the DM….. When something goes wrong, and the sh*t hits the fan… the DM is going to be the one to make sure things are carried out and a safe and practical manner. They are also going to be the one that is going to be the buddy to everyone. They should be looking for things that could potentially snowball in to a problem that could be a dive ender for all of us on the boat even as petty as making sure people have put their gear together correctly for new and not so seasoned diver to talking thru peoples concerns or worries about the dive(pre dive stress).

Yes everyone has their ideas of what a DM’s role is/ should be. But we should all know that the DM is going to be some one that is a qualified Rescue Diver, is going to be able to thing about the bigger picture and should be someone that is going to coordinate the safe return for the divers if something goes wrong.

Unfortunately you may never see how good a DM is until something really bad goes wrong on the dive…. I know there is a lot more that they do, but this is a point I kept seeing people forget to mention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom