dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is not too much content in DM that cannot be done fairly quickly, the tests, the knowledge reviews, the swim tests, you could knock that out in a day assuming you passed all the tests. the rest is done in classes with students, that can take 1-6 months depending on how active the shop is. I would not skip that part with or without the certification, it is one thing to say you are a DM it is another to have the interpersonal skills with real new divers to make them feel comfortable and successful at their new hobby. however if you are a good listener and have confidence in your abilities with students and your instructor agrees then I see no reason not to be certified in a week. Assuming you plan to learn for the rest of your life and not stop once you get the card in the mail.

So according to Herman, the primary limitation isn't with a DM candidate --its with the LDS-- since even a prepared candidate couldn't possibly take the course able to immediately assist in dive instruction, since the DM course is the first exposure to it:

"One thing about DM that many do not realize is, it's not about your dive skills, they should be very good before you even consider DM. It's about working with students, helping them become good divers and assisting the instructor, keeping the class flowing and watching out for problems before they get out of hand."

If you find a dive shop that can accommodate the requisite exposure to instruction in a 7-10 day period, then theoretically the course experience should be very similar with no intervals between sections and internship opportunities. If they're glossing over the instructional opportunities, then you'd have cause for worry.

The rest is about the dive knowledge and skill of the candidate.

Last edited:
My goal, when I retire in a few years, is to be able to assist disabled veterans thru scuba. there are several organizations in US that provide that service. I am not looking for compensation, I have been fairly successful and just want to give back. I served in Vietnam about 40 years ago. I was lucky and came back in 1 piece. My father & father-in-law were both in WW II and came back without significant injury. So our family has been blessed. I beleive that rergardless of your feels about the conflicts our service men and women fight we need to support them. Those old enough to rememmber, when many came back from Vietnam they were not given the respect etc they deserved for serving.

Wow. On one hand, I'd say that if you want to "be all you can be" then take more than a mere week to do the DM course. On the other hand, maybe this is exactly the kind of rare situation in which the minimum might just be reasonable. After all, I would assume that whatever organization you sign on with will have their own specialized training for you that is specific to their work of diving with the disabled. Maybe the basics of the PADI DM course is indeed all you need as a prerequisite or base to build on.

My situation that I mentioned above is more typical. My goal when I take the DM course will be to learn to give paying customers in a resort environment an enjoyable and safe diving experience, and that can't be achieved by rushing through the minimum DM coursework.

Wow. On one hand, I'd say that if you want to "be all you can be" then take more than a mere week to do the DM course. On the other hand, maybe this is exactly the kind of rare situation in which the minimum might just be reasonable.

As devil's advocate I would think that this is the kind of situation where "zero to hero" is exactly the WRONG way to go. Working with disabled divers typicall requires a GREATER degree of in-water situational awareness, ABOVE AVERAGE skills, and an overall MORE rigorous approach to dive leadership. Those skills are developed and honed in a solid internship-based DM course which takes time. This cannot be achieved in a compressed "role-play scenario" based program.

"Those skills are developed and honed in a solid internship-based DM course which takes time."

To schedule. Most LDS cannot schedule DM candidates quickly due to limited numbers of available instruction hours. If this were not a limitation, then theoretically the 4 internship requirements will be very much the same due to Padi standards.

If you throw out all the week-long intervals between instruction opportunities typical in your local LDS, then the only remaining limitation is about the divers already-acquired dive skills and knowledge.

My goal when I take the DM course will be to learn to give paying customers in a resort environment an enjoyable and safe diving experience, and that can't be achieved by rushing through the minimum DM coursework.

As other's have mentioned above, it probably can't be achieved with anything less than an OWSI card - most "DM's" in resort locations are instructors as well. Resorts would rather have someone who can do double-duty rather than someone who can just herd divers around.

then theoretically the 4 internship requirements will be very much the same due to Padi standards.

I had to do 7 internships with "live" students/participants:

- OW classroom and pool
- OW dives 1-4
- AOW dives 1-5
- Rescue OW dives
- Two specialty courses: classroom, pool, and OW dives
- Discover Scuba Diving program
- Discover Local Diving program

I became a DM to become a better diver. I accomplished my main goal.

What I learned along the way is something more. Unless I intend to pack my bags and be a "tour guide" DM, my primary value as a DM is that of an instructor's assistant. To be a good assistant, I need to know my instructor's needs and methods. I suggest taking the DM class from the same LDS/instructor you plan to work with. Once certified, assist as many instructors as you can. This lets you get lots of practice and experience from different teaching styles. By taking the DM from your LDS, you also learn how your LDS operates as part of your training.

I took the one week course with the simulated classes. I learned how to deal with common problems in a learning environment as opposed to being in the hot seat with real students. I got my card and now I am continuing my learning by "interning" with my course director and the LDS instructors. I like this approach as it is the best of all options. I improved my diving. I am certified as a DM. The dive shop can use me for scuba reviews. The instructors have a fledgling DM to help them with their classes. And I get to continue my learning by "interning" as the shop will not let me fly completely free until I assist in two OW, an Advanced, and a Rescue class. (Yes, I don't have to stay under their yoke since I have the DM card. I choose to for the added learning I get.)

As other's have mentioned above, it probably can't be achieved with anything less than an OWSI card - most "DM's" in resort locations are instructors as well. Resorts would rather have someone who can do double-duty rather than someone who can just herd divers around.

Nowhere did I say that being a DM is my ultimate goal. I'm just trying to focus on one step at a time, and I suspect that it's at the DM internship step that one has the best opportunity to pick up how to, as I put it, "give paying customers in a resort environment an enjoyable and safe diving experience." Must I forget those skills in order to get an OWSI card? :wink:

"Those skills are developed and honed in a solid internship-based DM course which takes time."

To schedule. Most LDS cannot schedule DM candidates quickly due to limited numbers of available instruction hours. If this were not a limitation, then theoretically the 4 internship requirements will be very much the same due to Padi standards.

If you throw out all the week-long intervals between instruction opportunities typical in your local LDS, then the only remaining limitation is about the divers already-acquired dive skills and knowledge.

As Independent Instructors, when we do DMs we ensure that they have complete & current copies of all their paperwork so that if the occasion arises for them to train with another Instructor, they can "plug in" to that activity & have that section signed off by that Instructor. We then ensure that we meet with the DM on an ongoing basis to compare & update the paperwork to reflect any changes.

That way the DMC has the opportunity to train with other Instructors as well as get their training done more expediently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom