Dive Mishap Key Largo 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me diver:
what upsets me is that there has ben bashing of police, attorneys, judges, dive instructors, dive masters, shop owners and each other is there any one i left out.

so lets all do some learning - stick to the facts - slow down on the speculation - and wait to find out the facts

I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything information about the dive available...which is why I don't we should hang any instructors yet.

Yes, I assumed that it was rental gear because in my experience, they do not normally clean off diver-owned gear for the divers, only allow them to use their cleaning facilities. They do, however, always clean off their rental gear after the boats get back and get it ready for the next crew. Since he cleaned it, I assumed it was rental just because that's their normal policy. Things may have changed since I was there last though.
The facts are not clear about this yet, though. I've been told that it was personal gear, but some of the websites state it was rental gear. I edited the post because I was unsure after hearing two different things. This really is all insignificant compared to the huge tragedy and loss this family is experiencing. What an amazing gift it was for her organs to be donated. Now, another can have a second chance- what an awesome gift to give! It really does tell alot about this family, and though I do not personally know them, they are in my thoughts and prayers as they battle these tough times.

MikeFerrara:
You (and others) might want to check the rules of the forum. The stated purpose for the forum is the analysis of accidents. Here's a link.http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=52701

While there might not be much to analyze here and our attempts at analysis often go off on little tangents anyway, condolences and memories of the victims aren't the purpose of the forum.

Mike, while I appreciate your response and all around helpfulness, I believe that you misunderstood my meaning. I am new to scubaboard, not stupid. My suggestion was just that, a suggestion. After seeing the posts made by family and friends of the deceased I made a suggestion for their benefit. While we all know the purpose of these forums many of the family members do not. I understand that they also have the choice not to enter the forum in first place but I know that many people turn to any suggestion to gather all the information they can, be it factual or speculation, when faced with such a tragedy. With that said, my suggestion was one for those of us following this thread to move to a new forum with the intentions of giving those family and friends specifically coming to this site respite from our general conversation about handling or equip., protocal and procedures, etc.

seemybubbles:
Mike, while I appreciate your response and all around helpfulness, I believe that you misunderstood my meaning. I am new to scubaboard, not stupid. My suggestion was just that, a suggestion. After seeing the posts made by family and friends of the deceased I made a suggestion for their benefit. While we all know the purpose of these forums many of the family members do not. I understand that they also have the choice not to enter the forum in first place but I know that many people turn to any suggestion to gather all the information they can, be it factual or speculation, when faced with such a tragedy. With that said, my suggestion was one for those of us following this thread to move to a new forum with the intentions of giving those family and friends specifically coming to this site respite from our general conversation about handling or equip., protocal and procedures, etc.

I didn't mean to imply that you were stupid. If you haven't already done so, you might want to PM a mod and ask them to split the thread.

Apologies all around, I was unaware that involved parties may be monitoring. From the article that I read, there was no mention of the husband as a dive instructor, hence my statements about him (guess I should get ALL the facts befor starting a debate). The dive master cleaning the tanks was a bad idea IMO. Mike, I respectfully disagree but will not persue this thread. Of course, condolences to the family.

fabasard:
Apologies all around, I was unaware that involved parties may be monitoring. From the article that I read, there was no mention of the husband as a dive instructor, hence my statements about him (guess I should get ALL the facts befor starting a debate). The dive master cleaning the tanks was a bad idea IMO. Mike, I respectfully disagree but will not persue this thread. Of course, condolences to the family.

But...are you certified to disagree?:D

I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from you guys/girls. I am a dive professional and the husband of the diver in the accident and was holding her in my arms on the surface while the accident occurred. Our depth was shallow (35' max) and the dive went well. The accident happened on the surface when she got very anxious due to the wave height even though I never let go of her. She blacked out on the surface and I administered rescue breaths until I could got assistance from the boat charters because we drifted away from the boat.

Myself and my family are in deep mourning since my loving wife and friend passed away in the Key Largo hospital on Wednesday.

Please keep in mind that I think we should focus on my wife and family and the generaous organ doning my wife did to save other lives in the world. Feel free to post to me if you have any sympathetic comments or questions.

I'm so sorry for what happened to your wife. It sounds like you did everything you could. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

If there's anything the good folks on this board can do to help, if in our power, just ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom