Dive Op - Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not have problems surfacing on my own, I do not have a safety sausage but would assume the DM can deploy theirs for me and I swim above them. I will check out some of these options. Thanks
Ok, that just blows me away. I've carried the same sausage on every ocean dive since I certified. It's faded so maybe I should replace, but it boggles my mind that anyone would dive the sea without one - even tho I've seen it time and again.

You are not prepared to solo ascend and still want the DM to take care of you. Your call, but don't abuse the term solo diver. You might practice ditching weights from your rental equipment too, just in case.

Ok, that just blows me away. I've carried the same sausage on every ocean dive since I certified. It's faded so maybe I should replace, but it boggles my mind that anyone would dive the sea without one - even tho I've seen it time and again.

You are not prepared to solo ascend and still want the DM to take care of you. Your call, but don't abuse the term solo diver. You might practice ditching weights from your rental equipment too, just in case.

I get your point DD but cut the guy a little slack. As you know,it is extremely common for DM's to shoot their sausage for the early risers so they can be quickly picked up by the boat regardless of whether they are solo or buddies. Vey few divers Have had a sausage on any dives I have been on in cozumel. A solo diver on a guided dive is much different than being a true solo diver in my opinion.The boat captains in good ops are almost always very quick to pick up the first divers up.

Not perfect but very common. The guy shouldn't feel like he is odd because he doesn't carry a sausage,mirror and pony on a guided dive.

I get your point DD but cut the guy a little slack. As you know,it is extremely common for DM's to shoot their sausage for the early risers so they can be quickly picked up by the boat regardless of whether they are solo or buddies. Vey few divers Have had a sausage on any dives I have been on in cozumel. A solo diver on a guided dive is much different than being a true solo diver in my opinion.The boat captains in good ops are almost always very quick to pick up the first divers up.

Not perfect but very common. The guy shouldn't feel like he is odd because he doesn't carry a sausage,mirror and pony on a guided dive.
I suppose so, but it still challenges me. I talked with a local Instructor last trip who once spent 4 hours drifting the the channel, waving at boats that waved back. He still doesn't carry one. :shakehead:

I suppose so, but it still challenges me. I talked with a local Instructor last trip who once spent 4 hours drifting the the channel, waving at boats that waved back. He still doesn't carry one.

Is this a well-known event in Cozumel? I am curious that a diver would be drifting in the channel and boaters who saw him would just pass him by. That seems odd.

Last edited:

DandyDan, although your cynacism is vaguely disguised, I never once used the term "solo diver"... I used the term solo because I am the only one in my group to dive.. nor did I imply the desire to surface alone. I stated I would be comfortable enough to do it WITH a sausage from the DM. Keep diving and stop trolling

Is this a well-known event in Cozumel? I am curious that a diver would be drifting in the channel and boaters who saw him would just pass him by. That seems odd.
It was an odd part to the story, but not my story.

DandyDan, although your cynacism is vaguely disguised, I never once used the term "solo diver"... I used the term solo because I am the only one in my group to dive.. nor did I imply the desire to surface alone. I stated I would be comfortable enough to do it WITH a sausage from the DM. Keep diving and stop trolling
Got it, thanks.

All the dive ops will pick you up at the Palace. Can't get much more centralized.

When diving solo with BlueXTSea the dive master becomes your insta buddy. Now if run out of air after 30 minutes you definitely need a bigger tank. As far as I know they all can provide a larger one.

I have seen his cynicism in person and the disguise is horrible.

That being said, he is only promoting safety.

All the dive ops will pick you up at the Palace. Can't get much more centralized.

You are saying that all the dive ops who start at the Caleta will motor north to pick up people at Cozumel Palace? I am skeptical.

DandyDan, although your cynacism is vaguely disguised, I never once used the term "solo diver"... I used the term solo because I am the only one in my group to dive..

I also thought that you were talking about solo diving initially. Maybe if you used the term "single diver", there wouldn't be any confusion, since the word "solo" (which appears in the title of your original post) generally refers to diving without a buddy.

nor did I imply the desire to surface alone. I stated I would be comfortable enough to do it WITH a sausage from the DM.

would prefer a dive up that lets you go up on your own.

Not sure I understand. You want a dive op that lets you go up on your own, but you are not implying that you want to surface alone?

Keep diving and stop trolling

I don't know if you know Dandy Don personally, but if you don't this is really uncalled for.

You posted a question, and implied a willingness to accept a significant departure from safety standards - surfacing alone in the ocean, in current, in traffic, relying on someone else (who has other responsibilities underwater) to provide you with a surface signaling device and ensure that you stay next to it. Maybe you don't feel ready to deploy an SMB from depth, but I'm not sure how you can plan to surface alone but not carry a safety sausage for use on the surface (a pretty small expenditure compared with a trip to Coz).

At less than 50 dives (if your count is correct) it might be a good idea to be a bit less defensive when someone tries to keep you alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom