Dive Op that picks up from Coz Palace for 6-8 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just booked our flights/room for Coz Palace in April and I am totally psyched to be doing Cozumel for the first time! I have found that finding an attentive and fun the dive op has really made the biggest difference in our dive trips in the past. Specifically I am allergic to cattle boats. However this time I am traveling with at least 4 other divers and maybe up to 9 total which kinda limits the boat options as it seems like a lot of great ops run 6-packs in Cozumel.

I am wary of diving with Aqua Safari given some reviews online...seems like the type of boat I am trying to avoid. From what I have read and heard, it seems like Tres Pelicanos and Aldora are great ops which may pick up at Coz Palace and store gear. Anyone been with both and can compare? Any other recs? We will pretty much be all experienced divers except for one new diver.

Honestly choosing a dive op in Cozumel is a little daunting given the number of well reviewed ops.

Living Underwater picks up at the Cozumel Palace and his large, comfy boat holds 7 or 8 divers I think. He will meet you at your hotel to pick up your gear, go over your paperwork, and discuss your needs, experience etc. etc. that goes a long way in helping get to know one another and feel comfortable together. He is very attentive, rinses and stores all gear including wetsuits and I highly recommend him.

He uses LP steel tanks, so if you need or appreciate extra air, he can supply you with a 120 (most women, myself included, just use the 95s, which is still a bit of extra air). Aldora has steel tanks also. Aqua Safari and Tres Pelicanos use aluminum 80 tanks. I am assuming you don't have a preference one way or the other since you have included them all together as ops under consideration, but I thought I would point out this rather significant difference in case you had overlooked it.

If you need to keep an entire group of 9 together, you'll need a bigger boat. You may want to look into chartering your own "12 pack".

Be careful when selecting a dive op that stores gear as some of them do not store wetsuits. I can tell you from personal experience that dragging a dripping wetsuit through the fancy marble floors and elevator/stairs of Cozumel Palace is not only a nuisance, but a safety hazard as well because it leaves a very slippery trail behind you. If you dive with Aqua Safari, you can use their gear lockers, but I'm not sure if they'll let you use them to store your wetsuits if you're not diving with them (last time I was at the Palace, Aqua World had the franchise and they didn't allow locker use by non-customers, but since the Palace owns Aqua Safari it might be a different story now).

There are quite a few dive operations that would meet your needs. Another to consider is Mestizo Divers. Scuba Diving in Cozumel with Mestizo Divers - Cozumel Freddy has a spiffy new boat that will take up to 8 divers. He will also meet with your group to go over paperwork before your dives. Part of his service is taking care of your gear and washing it for the next dives. He provides towels and snacks/water between dives. His attention to safety and his knowledge of the island and the dive sites is impressive. Like the rest of us you will be hooked on Cozumel once you arrive!

id use blue XT sea nice comfy boat easy going great guide pick up and store all your gear no worries Christi runs a great operation!!
you will have a blast!!!

Aldora has a boat that will handle your group plus they stop at a beach club between dives.

Back
Top Bottom