Dive Operations near Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryfly161

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am planning week long trip to Dumaguete i already have friends in the area with a place for us to stay. I have been looking for dive operations that to go diving for a couple days. I know that we want to go to Apo for a day. What dive operators do you guys recommend if not staying at a dive resort? What kind of prices do they charge or is it just better to stay a couple days in a dive resort and get the benefits of diving? Any other absolute must things to do in the area for a first time trip to Dumaguete or that area of the PI. I have only been to Subic bay with the navy.

As far as I know no operator goes to Apo Island everyday. And you need to call ahead to find out the schedule.
So even staying at the resort does not guarantee the trip if the shop does not have any schedule/clients. Most operators are oven on Dauin and you will need to commute everyday depend where you are staying.
There is one operator(Harold Mansion) which is in Dumaguete City.
"Liquid" is the resort and Zoe will give you more or less instant response.

Hi Centrals, just for the future reference; Atmosphere has a Apo trip on schedule daily (weather dependent of course, but as you know the weather here in Dauin is hardly ever so bad that we'd need to cancel). It's half day trip with 2 dives, and the standard schedule is leaving the resort after breakfast, and coming back for lunch. We have the advantage of being closer to Apo than the resorts near Dauin village so the trip is faster, usually around 30-40 min boat ride. Obviously the trip is running only if there's in-house guests signed up.

There are four or five dive resorts in Dauin and you can bet at least one of them is going to Apo on any given day. Its about a 20 to 25 minute ride to Dauin from Dumaguete. We stayed at Mikes Beach and Dive Resort in Dauin and they only have eight rooms and two big banka boats and one of them is usually going to Apo each day but not always--they always have room for guests to dive with them that are not staying at the resort. Cost for the trip with three dives and a lunch was about 5,300 pesos and dive gear rental was about 500 pesos for the day. We ran into Dumaguete from Dauin several times and just hopped on a jeepney and round trip maybe cost us 75 cents. If you want to stay at the resort there standard rooms run about $55 US a night but its hard to book them because the place is pretty popular with divers and is usually full. Whatever you decide to do I know you'll enjoy diving at Apo Island--I'll be back there at the end of this month (November) for another great week of diving at Mikes.

Bshort4 thanks for the info. I have been looking around trying to plan this trip. It has been a little harder than I expected. Trying to find info for diving without staying at a resort is even harder. We have friends in dumaguete and we are staying with them but I am wondering if it will be easier to just stay somewhere a night or so to go to apo island. They have a driver and van for us for transportation. I am looking forward to finally diving there. If you have any recommendations I a open. Have fun on your upcoming trip

Apo is fantastic but don't miss Siquijor Island either. You have to find an operator to get you out there but it's worth it.

Hello ryfly161,

Not staying at a Dive Resort is not an issue regarding heading to Apo Island. Our Dive operation Coral Dive & Adventure is located close to Dumaguete and we regularly cater to guests who are staying in Dumaguete City. Our boat departs from and returns to the resort beach at White Chocolate Hills Resort in Zamboanguita. This is the nearest built up area next to where all the charter boats head to Apo Island. We conduct 3 dive trips / snorkel outings and we provide guests with BBQ, pictures, a guided walk about the island (for those who wish to do that). It is a great service that is very popular. Take a look yourself on our website www.coraldive.com.ph or search us out on Facebook.

You can always contact us direct on dive@coraldive.com.ph or our number 09959903811.

Best

Mark

coral dive thank you for your response. I have been having trouble finding some where that did not require a stay for a diving trip. We have confirmed our flights and travel plans. how far in advance would you recommend booking a trip or should we wait until arrival to see what the weather is like? How likely is weather to causing a cancelation of trips in early July? What kind of cancelation policy do you have if we book and are not able to dive?

Hi Centrals, just for the future reference; Atmosphere has a Apo trip on schedule daily (weather dependent of course, but as you know the weather here in Dauin is hardly ever so bad that we'd need to cancel). It's half day trip with 2 dives, and the standard schedule is leaving the resort after breakfast, and coming back for lunch. We have the advantage of being closer to Apo than the resorts near Dauin village so the trip is faster, usually around 30-40 min boat ride. Obviously the trip is running only if there's in-house guests signed up.
Schedule is one thing but actually going is another !!
What is the minimum number of in-house guests required to sign up?

Schedule is one thing but actually going is another !!
What is the minimum number of in-house guests required to sign up?

Dear Centrals, you are very correct, as you often are. :) But we do operate in rather accommodating service level, as our price point might hint. We send the boat to Apo with only 2 guests signed up (although sometimes we've been doing the Apo trip even for 1 diver only). Sweet as local spaghetti I think.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom