Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No and I don't want to either, so no wetsuit for me.....
I can't pee underwater unless I'm in a wetsuit :)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This off-topic post (and those ensuing) have been split off from another thread by a member requesting info about a specific op. Marg, ScubaBoard Senior Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't keep wet suits for obvious hygienic reasons and I wouldn't ever require or ask my crew to handle a strangers (even our regular divers) pee filled wetsuits! It may be a nice service, but there is a very valid and SOLID reason that MOST dive shops do not handle wet suits. It's simply disgusting!

We don't keep wet suits for obvious hygienic reasons and I wouldn't ever require or ask my crew to handle a strangers (even our regular divers) pee filled wetsuits! It may be a nice service, but there is a very valid and SOLID reason that MOST dive shops do not handle wet suits. It's simply disgusting!
Urine is sterile. It's pretty much the same thing as sweat. And it pretty much washes out in the water.

Plenty of dive ops handle wetsuits. Look at the thousands of dive ops, dive shops, and dive resorts around the world that offer wetsuit rental, for instance. Surely they must handle the wetsuits if they rent them out.

Urine is sterile. It's pretty much the same thing as sweat.

If I used a towel to soak up a teaspoon of urine from a woman with a UTI and handed that to you, would you use that to dry off your hands after washing them?

Would you treat it the same as if I handed you a towel containing the same amount of sweat from an entirely disease and infection free pre-adolescent male?

Would you treat both the same as a towel containing the same amount of purified water?

If I used a towel to soak up a teaspoon of urine from a woman with a UTI and handed that to you, would you use that to dry off your hands after washing them?

Would you treat it the same as if I handed you a towel containing the same amount of sweat from an entirely disease and infection free pre-adolescent male?

Would you treat both the same as a towel containing the same amount of purified water?
Your analogy works better if the towel was soaked in sea water after soaking up the teaspoon of urine. I'd be surprised if too many bacteria used to the vaginal environment could handle soaking in 80 degree saline water and I wouldn't expect a female DM to handle the peed-in wetsuits by holding them between her legs while naked. But what will it hurt her to hold them in her hands, providing that she washes her hands after?

Is it your point that the personnel working in the thousands and thousands of dive ops around the world that rent out wetsuits should don hazmat suits before checking the wetsuits back in?

Is it your point that the personnel working in the thousands and thousands of dive ops around the world that rent out wetsuits should don hazmat suits before checking the wetsuits back in?

You used the word sterile. I'm trying to understand what you meant by it.

I have no opinion on the management of rental wetsuits. I'm pretty sure all the competent dive op mgrs here on SB know vastly more about that than I do.

Wow you guys will chew on any old bone just to argue lol!

dog-bone.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom