Dive Paradise/Park Royal report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, I didn't see the reason to take such offense. Most of our replies concerned the lack of specificity in your complaints, and what your expectations wer given your minimal experience. To this date I can only identify that you didn't get a price break (yet you later said you didn't expect one) and the initial reservations seem to have been lost.

You mentioned the DP office in the United States. I wasn't aware they had one. They have a list of travel agents you can go through. Those are independent agents. How do you know the reservations problem isn't because your travel agent screwed up?

I wish I was on the DP payroll. Maybe someday.:D

Yes, while I am good friends of the DP family (and specifically stated such relationship in my original comment) I was merely pointing out a simple fact - someone on their first dive trip has no frame of reference to be complaining about any dive operation. I would have stated the same whether or not the same comment was directed towards any dive operation, and whether or not I ever dove with them or knew anyone who did.

My usual mantra about dive operations is stated and applicable here as well: decide what kind of diving you want to do, and you'll find a few excellent dive operations to cater to that, especially in Cozumel. Most people wouldn't know a good dive operation if it swam up and hit them in the face, and really beware of people saying this one or that one is the best or worst or good or bad, since unless they dove (dived? have diven?) with every dive operation in a particular location in every type of condition and under every circumstance and with every combination of captain and divemaster working for that operation, as well as all the others in the particular locale, the person really has no frame of reference to make the comparison...in other words, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear...

I don't see that anything I said in my commentary warranted the response originally posted...As far as the personal opinions about which language people "should " speak, those speak for themselves, and for anything directed at or about me personally, please see my last signature quote...we all should endeavor to persevere to remain impassionate to disaffected personalities on the internet, and within Scubaboard in particular...sometimes our "conversations" just turn into spirited discussions! Imagine!

Christi, it's Friday.... at least two or three of the 13 say hello...LOL!!!

I agree with Reefhound about the lack of specifics. Everyone is entitiled to their experiences/opinions but when someone posts negative experiences you expect that to include the specifics about why they were unhappy. I can see how booking a trip (especially one where you aren't staying at one of their hotel dock pickups) could get confusing to keep track of. It's not bashing the OP for disagreeing, I just think people have the right to post their positive experiences in response.

I also agree with Cowboyneal about not having frame of reference. Our first trip was to Grand Cayman, we dove with DiveTech. For the most part, we really liked them. There were a couple DM we liked a little better but we had a great first trip. Our next trip was Dive Paradise and they gave even better service than we expected. We asked our local dive shop owners (who were our guides and have been in the biz for over 20 years) if that service was usually typical with most Dive Shops and they said yes. So we didn't even know what was missing from our first trip. We were definitly well taken care of though since they are also friends with Apple.

Anyways, I don't know what the OP expected with the little info he gave us about what services they didn't provide. Hopefully his next trip will be a better one.

I'm diving with DP with my son and his dive instructor and 2 other friends in a couple of weeks. His DI has used DP twice before with great experiences. We're doing the "fast Boats" so I don't expect to have any issues.

Do you think Niebie had unrealistic expectations?? When we dove in Roatan, many of the divers used to "resorts" were disappointed with the lack of back scratching and hand waiting. I thought the service was great!

Might just be unrealistic expectations.

Can't wait for May 9th!!

cowboyneal:
Here's what OP posted on Tripadvisor:

Dive Paradise:
+ positives
Reasonable price, always on time, skilled/knowledgeable dive masters, flexible
-negatives
Again, the story always changed depending on who you talked to. Huge communication barriers--we booked the reservations with Kathy (she's in the US), but when we got to the shop no one seemed to know who we were and communicating was very difficult. Boat staff was not as helpful as I would have liked. Some dive masters didn't point out as much as I am used to while diving.

Doesn't sound like anything concrete to me, and a bit different there than what was presented here. I've been diving with DP for over 20 years now (we are "co-termed" in Cozumel...lol) and I have had a few "experiences" with somewhat inattentive divemasters (who hasn't wherever they are?). However, I'd personally give DP a 9.5/10 every time, but I am also personal friends with Apple, and always pay extra for the fast boats and EDP trips and all that, so my experience may be somewhat different than others...also, being on "his first dive trip since being certified" I don't know how this newbie would be in a position to rate a dive operation as well-known and long standing as Dive Paradise, having no real experience across the board or anything with which to compare it. Likewise, I don't know how you could be "used to" any actions of a divemaster having only had your certification dives...On the other newbie thing, I don't accept my students ever dropping weights or failing to secure their equipment. This is a basic tenent of diving. Also, what if there was another diver under that falling weight? Bonk! So, while I appreciate "the share" from the other commentator, I don't agree with their view (although will defend to the death their right to present it)...

Finally, we all need to take these negative commentary posts with a grain of salt, especially when being made by "new members" because there is a bit of "sniping" on the board. By that I mean that these phantom new screen names pop up, the negativity is deposited and then for some reason the poster is never heard from again...one can only wonder who is really behind that...

Well its obvious by your own admission that your a fanboy of Dive paradise so its probably futile trying to present my point, yet I will try anyway. I happen to currently be in Cozumel as I type this in my hotel room, and would not be typing this if they were as organized as you say, because i would be out diving with them right now on my afternoon dive. I dove with them yesterday, and I am diving with them again tomorrow morning, although I didnt plan on it. Im doing it to make up for the dive I missed today. I really wanted to try out another dive op tomorrow , but since I cant get a refund from DP, ill dive with them again tomorrow. And the original poster had a point. They are very unorganized. And people do make mistakes, and being on how he was recently certified, I think its unfair to bash him for losing a weight. In fact, yesterday I lost a 2lb weight I had in my bc when I went inverted to look in a crevice. I chose not to put it in the quick release pouch and instead just had it in the bc pocket, and this was with my rebreather. If I was a sloppy diver id be dead by now. For the record, thats the second thing ive ever lost (first being a fin in a horrendous surf exit in california). Things happen, and Ive seen allot worse. Ill post a full report when I get home this weekend, but I dont think the original poster was out of line at all and you were unfairly harsh on him. I think you didnt like the fact he was not happy with DP and you felt it necessary to rip him a new one. And yes, my DM (loco) was very nice on our 2 tank trip yesterday, but there was allot of room for improvement. Look for my full review in a few days.

Rick Murchison:
Little fella? Wears long white socks on the outside of his wetsuit so you can see him easily? "One with the water?" Scar on right index finger from Moray bite in '95? Great sense of humor?
Just wondering if my favorite Cozumel DM is still working for DP (I haven't been diving with them since '98).
Rick

Rick, that also sounds like Ricardo Madrigal. He wears a double wetsuit and knee - long white socks. And, he's not very big. Most of the time on a dive, he is about 100 yards out in front with his head down and feet up lookin for stuff. You can see the white socks from a long ways off.

cowboyneal:
, and for anything directed at or about me personally, please see my last signature quote...we all should endeavor to persevere to remain impassionate to disaffected personalities on the internet, and within Scubaboard in particular...sometimes our "conversations" just turn into spirited discussions! Imagine!

" There was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of the bus to Neverland." You know, you even look like Neal Cassady. It's spooky. If they told me tomorrow that when I got to Cozumel, they was gonna put the names of all the dive operators in a bag and I would have ta pull out a name and then go with that operator, cuz they'd just changed the system and that was that, I'd do it. I REALLY dont think there is a bona fide black bean in the bag. I've been diving with all mentioned here on this thread. Wouldnt have a problem with any of them.

As far as vehicles go, I drive a 7 year old pick up truck and intend to drive it right into the ground.

ggunn:
I'm pretty sure his avatar is a picture of Neal Cassady:

Emily Latella , " OH! Well, that's different. ........... Never Mind. "

Mawg:
ggunn:
I'm pretty sure his avatar is a picture of Neal Cassady:

Emily Latella , " OH! Well, that's different. ........... Never Mind. "

Gm7 F C
Flight of the seabirds,
Gm7 F C
Scattered like lost words

C Bb F